Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default NTL analogue cable box

anyone know where i can get/ buy a modded General instruments NTL box from? I think its about time i stop paying for tv.

Thanks

Infin

Thanks
    Karma Level

You are talking about the analogue ones? Get em on e-bay for about £30-£40.

Go for the df2100 since this is the easiest mod. All the info is in http://www.helpfiles.co.uk

The pic chip costs £1.00 from maplins and minor soldering is needed but you should be able to do it yourself.

Hope this help and have fun. Have you thought about doing a PACE digi? More channels on em than on analogue.

Also more expensive on e-bay too but worth it it you like free TV

Thanks
    Karma Level

heh thanks

this is kind of sorted now

i don't have a chip programmer so it would have been difficult for me and also i don't have a solder (i'm cack at soldering too) but the link is good.

Also with digital - don't i need a digital tv and a some sort of digital line?

Cos at the moment i'm with NTL and all they gave me was an analogue box (which came with broadband).

Can i still use digital?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi infinity

Don't take this the wrong way but I think you may be a little confused. If NTL have recently come along and installed a box for you it is most likely a digital box not an analogue one.

You can tell the difference by looking at the box (is it PACE?) and see if it uses a smartcard. (There should be a pull-down flap if it does on the top left of the box).

Analogue boxes do not use a smartcard. Digital boxes do.

Regarding the TV - you don't need a digital TV (but get one because they are cool and give a great picture). Your TV should be connected to the box via a scart lead which plugs into the back of the TV or video.

Also, if you are in an NTL area, there should be a white box on the wall with a lead coming out of it going to the rear of your decoder (or STB as they are now called). If you have this then the digital cable line is installed and you are able to receive TV.

Now here is the complicated bit:

If you are set up for digital cable, you can receive either Analogue, or Digital TV signals, or both with a digital splitter (get it from Maplins for £4.99). (Note: Satellite is different and you need different equipment and a dish.)

You should also be aware that receiving PayTV without paying for it is an offence and can be constued as fraud. (Just thought I would mention it in case you did not already know )

If you have a digital box with a card the procedure for modifying the dig box is totally different from the analogue. However the dig box gives you more channels, and is also more complicated to ahem - modify.

Hope this helps you find your karma