Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Postiga deal complete. At least a nearly signing becomes a summer signing.

Postiga Deal Complete

25 Jun 2003 00:07

The Club would like to announce the signing of Portuguese international striker Helder Postiga from UEFA Cup winners FC Porto. The deal is valued at £6.25m, which could rise to £8.25 depending on appearances and team performance.
    Postiga's signing represents a real coup for Glenn Hoddle as several major European club's showed serious interest in the 20-year-old striking sensation. His impressive displays during FC Porto's successful UEFA Cup campaign last season enhanced his already burgeoning reputation, making him one of the most coveted young strikers in Europe.

A self-confessed Spurs fan, Postiga has agreed a five-year contract and will link up with the rest of the squad when pre-season training begins at the start of July. He has had an impressive season with Portuguese champions FC Porto, scoring 19 goals in all competitions. This form has led to him making his full international debut and he has been an instant success at international level - recently scoring two goals in a 4-0 win over Bolivia.

Glenn was naturally delighted with the capture of the gifted Postiga: "He is a player who will add definite striking quality to our squad and is a young player of proven ability. I'm sure our supporters will enjoy watching him over the coming seasons."

"This exciting signing demonstrates our commitment to increasing the strength and quality of our playing squad and will hopefully assist us in our quest for success next season and beyond," added chairman Daniel Levy.
    I just hope Hoddle has it in his mind to play him from the start and not treat him the way he has done to the other young talent signing's made with hope of good things.

Blondel still needs to be given his chance.

Keane and Postiga up front sounds like a plan.

G

Thanks
    Karma Level

Who? How much?

Paul Robinson - Englands number 1 only worth £3m and signing for Aston Villa??

What the f*ck is going on in football...

Must be the heat making people go nut's.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Something is better than nothing and I agree with GETanner as I hope that he does play him from the start of the season...

Will be interesting if we get Kanoute aswell cos we may play 3 upfront with Keane just of the front 2. This would force us to play wingbacks (which doesnt work) which is Hoddles fav tactic.

Still I havent heard of this guy before, not even in CM but for that sort of money and with our board not being ones to part with cash on a whim... he must be good.

On another note, season ticket renewals went better than expected and this purchase was announce the Day after the Spurs Ticket Office re-opened...
    - Plan for Tomorrow - Live for today - Hail to the King Baby -

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm looking forward to seeing what this chap is made of. Hopefully there will be more signings on the way - maybe players like Scott Parker, Zamora, Kanoute, Steven Pienaar (Ajax) and maybe even Davids!?!?!

I just hope Postiga can remain injury free!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Steven Pienaar (Ajax)
    Unfortunately this isnt Champ... but I agree this does look promising....

Even better when you see his 1st hatrick from our new seats!!!

- Plan for Tomorrow - Live for today - Hail to the King Baby -

Thanks
    Karma Level

Still I havent heard of this guy before, not even in CM but for that sort of money and with our board not being ones to part with cash on a whim... he must be good.

Yeah ........I remember a guy called REBROV!
    ooops!