Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default George Best arrested after 'pub brawl'

Soccer legend George Best was arrested on Saturday after an alleged scuffle with a press photographer, amid reports he is drinking again.
    Mr Best, 57, vowed never to drink alcohol after a life-saving liver transplant last year.

But the Mail on Sunday quotes his wife Alex as saying he seems to be on a "mission to self-destruct".

Best made a television pledge never to drink again

Police said a 31-year-old man was also arrested at the Chequers Hotel in Walton on the Hill, Tadworth, Surrey, on Saturday evening.

Surrey police said both men were arrested on suspicion of assault causing actual bodily harm and taken to Reigate police station but were later released without charge.
    A police spokesman said: "No further action is envisaged by Surrey police."

After being released by police, he returned to the pub, not leaving until closing time.

Alex Best, 26 years her husband's junior, reportedly told the Mail: "I feel awful for the family of the person who died to save George.

"The last week has been hell. He seems to be on a mission to self-destruct and it is getting worse. I have tried everything I know to help him.

"I am sure George didn't want to start drinking again."

There are reports the former Manchester United and Northern Ireland star has been seen regularly in his local pub, but he denied he had been drinking alcohol.

"Why can't I come to the pub and read the paper and have a nice steak like anybody else?" he told the Mail.

He is understood to be taking drugs which should make him ill if he touches alcohol.

If he has been drinking, it will reignite criticism at the time of his transplant that there were more deserving cases waiting for the organ.

Mr Best has ridden the rollercoaster of fame and fortune since making his debut for United in 1963.

He was the first superstar footballer but he turned his back on a top level career within nine years, retiring to a life of alcohol and indulgence at 26.

In 1984 he served two months of a 12-week jail term for drink driving and assault on police.

But he renounced drink after becoming ill and he had the liver transplant.

However he admitted it was difficult to stop, continuing even after doctors told him one more drink could kill him.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3061827.stm
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Old habits die hard... or perhaps not at all..

Even his son is following in his footsteps!!
    - Plan for Tomorrow - Live for today - Hail to the King Baby -

Thanks
    Karma Level

Media speculation yet again, Best has been seen with a drink in his hand, so what? what EXACTLY was in the glass? soda water? apple juice?

Until it is PROVED that he is back on the booze then the media should keep off his back, however, if he IS back on it then the guy is a fooking idiot, but thats HIS business, and not OURS.

Thanks
    Karma Level

It becomes other peoples business when he gets a life saving transplant by some poor dead guy donating organs to him, only for him to get back on the booze and negate all the good work done!

Thanks
    Karma Level

It can't be easy - Alcoholism is a disease after all - Well so they say.

Hopefully he'll sort himself out again.

Also, his wife is a sort!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by jimbob2002
    It becomes other peoples business when he gets a life saving transplant by some poor dead guy donating organs to him, only for him to get back on the booze and negate all the good work done!
    It might become SOME peoples business, e.g. family,doctors, etc
    but it is NOT the business of the GENERAL PUBLIC.

As a footnote to this, a "Witness" in the pub said see was next to Best in the pub, and he was definately drinking......Perrier water!

Thanks
    Karma Level

yeh, i was gonna say, there were a few witnesses on the radio that said he was just drinking soda water and that he wasnt drunk at all, just media hyping everything up as per usual

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by Epiphany
    yeh, i was gonna say, there were a few witnesses on the radio that said he was just drinking soda water and that he wasnt drunk at all, just media hyping everything up as per usual
    so how does that explain his wife`s reports to the papers that hes been on the piss all week and that hes on a road of self destruction ?
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by 4me2
    so how does that explain his wife`s reports to the papers that hes been on the piss all week and that hes on a road of self destruction ?
    Theres nothing to explain m8, if he's dumb enough to hit the bottle again then he deserves all he gets, but as i've already said, thats HIS BUSINESS.

When he had the transplant he almost died on the operating table, how many more clues does he need? but no doubt the tabloids will print their usual pile of shit about him.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i just hope him and his bird are not "playing the media" to make a few quid?? his probs and op were well publicised,who paid for it?? him or the papers?? i neither like\dislike him, so fuck him if he wants to die let him! hes a has been and really wont be missed that much? how why? that bird is with him is a mystery to me!!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

pub landlord was on tv yesterday saying he was drinking wine.
    so there!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

The guys a nob! He wasted his talent and now he's wasting someone elses liver!

I've no time for dicks like him!