Close

Thread: PSP Spec

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default PSP Spec

PSP Specs Revealed
    Processing speed, polygon rate and lots more.

July 29, 2003 - At a press briefing held in Japan today, Sony Computer Entertainment at last revealed detailed specs for its PSP (PlayStation Portable) portable system. Although first unveiled at E3, Sony left showgoers in the dark about what form the system would actually take. Today's announcement covers most bases, from planned CPU speed and memory space all the way to networking ability.
    As its CPU, PSP will make use of twin MIPS R4000 32 bit processors running at max 333 Megahertz. One of these units is referred to as the Media Engine, and is to be used for sound, movies and I/O management. In addition, the system will include a so-called VFPU floating point vector unit with calculation capability of up to 2.6 Gigaflops. This latter unit is meant for assisting the CPU in 3D calculations.

Memory for the system is divided into two areas. In all, the system is expected to feature 8 Megabytes main memory with bandwidth of 2.6 Gigabytes per second along with two megabytes of sub-memory, also at 2.6 Gigabytes per second, which will be used by the Media Engine.

Outside of the CPU and main memory, the system will of course include a graphics processing unit (GPU). The GPU is made up of a Rendering Engine and a Surface Engine and has access to 2 Megabytes of VRAM with a bandwidth of 5.3 Gigabytes per second. The hardware will include support for traditional polygons as well as curved surface primitives along with such things as clipping, morphing and more, freeing up software from having to deal with these. Sony claims a theoretical polygon performance of 33 million polygons per second.

The system's UMD (Universal Media Disc) optical disk format has also been clarified a bit. A UMD is a 60 millimeter dual layered disk that can store up to 1.8 Gigabytes of data. Transfer rate for the reader unit is 11 Megabits per second, which is twice the transfer rate of a standard DVD system. Sony is also promising the highest level of copy protection for these discs using DiscID and AES encoding technology.

Multimedia support is big for the system. Sony announced MPEG4 support at E3, and now they've gotten a bit clearer, revealing that the PSP will use the AVC decoder, which has a high encoding rate. This will allow the UMD to store up to two hours of DVD quality video. Sound is also taking a high place on the system's feature list. The PSP will feature reconfigurable DSPs which can be rewritten allowing for support for the latest sound technology. Sony announced today compatibility with the ATRAC3 plus format along with AAC and mp3. In addition, the system will support playback of 3D and 7.1 channel sound.

On top of all this is Wireless Lan. The system will include as standard IEEE802.11 wireless LAN. Sony had originally intended to make this an option, but game creators were pretty adamant about its inclusion. Sony revealed no further details about the system's networking features, unfortunately.

The PSP will, of course, play games as well. Sony will be tapping into its PlayStation heritage and including the familiar triangle, circle, X, square, start, select, L1 and R1 buttons on the system. These will be digital. In addition, the system will include a single analogue thumb pad.

For a list of specs on the system, see just below this article.

If you find yourself salivating at these specs, you're not alone. Unfortunately, Sony shared nothing but words today. A prototype of the PSP will debut at E3 of next year (May of 2004) with 2004's Tokyo Game Show (September of that year) expected to bring with it the unveiling of the system's game lineup.

A worldwide simultaneous launch for the unit is expected for the fourth quarter of 2004.

[PSP SPECS]

UMD(Universal Media Disc)
    60mm
    Laser Diode:660nm
    Dual Layer :1.8GB
    Transfer Rate:11Mbps
    Shock Proof
    Secure ROM by AES
    Unique Disc ID

PSP CPU CORE
    MIPS R4000 32bit Core
    128bit Bus
    1 - 333MHz @ 1.2V
    Main Memory :8MB(eDRAM)
    Bus Bandwidth :2.6GB/sec
    I-Cache, D-Cache
    FPU, VFPU (Vector Unit) @ 2.6GFlops
    3D-CG Extended Instructions

PSP Media Engine
    MIPS R4000 32bit Core
    128bit Bus
    1 - 333MHz @ 1.2V
    Sub Memory:2MB(eDRAM) @ 2.6GB/sec
    I-Cache, D-Cache
    90nm CMOS

PSP Graphics Core 1
    3D Curved Surface + 3D Polygon
    Compressed Texture
    Hardware Clipping, Morphing, Bone(8)
    Hardware Tessellator
    Bezier, B-Spline(NURBS)
    ex 4x4, 16x16, 64x64 sub-division

PSP Graphics Core 2
    'Rendering Engine' + 'Surface Engine'
    256bit Bus, 1-166 MHz @ 1.2V
    VRAM :2MB(eDRAM)
    Bus Bandwidth :5.3GB/sec
    Pixel Fill Rate :664 M pixels/sec
    max 33 M polygon /sec(T&L)
    24bit Full Color:RGBA

PSP Sound Core: VME
    Reconfigurable DSPs
    128bit Bus
    166MHz @1.2V
    5 Giga Operations /sec
    CODEC
    3D Sound, Multi-Channel
    Synthesizer, Effecter, etc

AVC Decoder
    AVC(H.264) Decoder
    Main Profile
    Baseline Profile
    @Level1,Level2,Level3
    2Hours(High Quality) - DVD movie
    4Hours(Standard Quality) - CS Digital

I/O
    USB 2.0
    Memory Stick
    Extension Port(reserved)
    Stereo Head phone Out

Communication
    Wireless LAN (i802.11)
    IrDA
    USB 2.0

http://pocket.ign.com/articles/430/4...html?fromint=1

Thanks
    Karma Level

well im very sus about these specs, 7.1 surround sound, whats the point, unless that extension port is gunna handle optical audio and rgb or component video then why would you want 7.1 sound! also what about cost, the specs suggest a very high retail price, oh and also power consumption, do you carry a car battery around with you?

im sure ill buy one whatever though

Thanks
    Karma Level

The actual spec doesnt actually say 7.1 surround sound just '3D sound' which is a bit more believable than 7.1. The text mentions 7.1 tho......

But youre right 7.1 would be pretty pointless!

I cant wait to see how they are gonna fit it all in to a handheld unit!!

The power consuption is a worry, those specs are, as you say monsta, very high and although its running at a low voltage (1.2) which suggests a low power consumption, I just hope it doesnt get too toasty!

I dont want a 'laptop that is too hot to put on my lap' situation....

...and please no fans!!!!!

But im sure ill get one too..........dunno what it is about handhelds, but i look forward to them much more than a new console for some reason! (and my GBA rarely leaves my room!!!! so much for portable!!!!!)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sounds like its going to do a lot more than just play games. Maybe Sony have some plans for the disc format, (PS3?) maybe moving it into the home more as a rival to DVD?

Sony definatly have something up their sleave, this machine is not a portable PlayStation...
    Try Gentoo, the linux source distro...
    Currently Playing: Viewtifull Joe (GC), Mario Kart : Double Dash (GC), Mario & Luigi Superstars (GBA).

Thanks
    Karma Level

sony already has its dvd rival, its blueray

Thanks
    Karma Level

has anyone got a pic of one of these?
    If I knew where ill be when I die....I wouldn't go there

Save The Trees! , Whipe Ur Ass On A Owl