Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default What 'generic' patcher should I be using??

I have used the "Cr0ws_XBOX_XBE_Patcher" on several occasions, but since I went to X2 4976.02 BIOS, I havn't had a need for it.

However, I recently needed to use it again but the patcher reported that the XBE couldn't be (or didn't need to be) patched, even though it didn't run on a an older BIOS.

I was reading about DVD2BOX 0.4.1 which implies that there are 2 different types of media checks.

The game in question was 'Solder Of Fortune'.. Is there any tool that will patch this?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: What 'generic' patcher should I be using??

Originally posted by jweaver
    However, I recently needed to use it again but the patcher reported that the XBE couldn't be (or didn't need to be) patched, even though it didn't run on a an older BIOS.

I was reading about DVD2BOX 0.4.1 which implies that there are 2 different types of media checks.
    Bascially most public patchers out there used riots method of cracking when they appeared. Someone file compared releases
    then thought they were l33t and release details of these cracks cause they share a common string. (Without knowing what they did they incorrectly assumed they were modifying the media check but in fact they were removing it)

In fact what they dont realise is there are many ways of combating the media check and this is just one of them.

It soon became apparant the first string is not accurate for future kernal versions and a shorter striung was produced... This is infact the same check but a different way of expressing it. Therefore they decided to shorten down the string so it fits. (The fact is that this shorten string can change in the future too and they are kidding themselves if they think different)

This is why ppl thing that they are 2 different types of media check although they are just one. The check has been constant since day one but the expressions hasnt.

The only thing that is certain about this media check is that is constant with each kernal library. However the library version changes every month or two so how long it will work is anyones guess.

I would recommend ADR patcher purely because its updatable via the patch.data file for yourslef when you realise things have changed.

Theres a new patch data file floating (made by the original file comparer) about which does all current games at the moment.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Good info Donty, the new expresssion of the media check appeared on Kernel 5233.1 upwards and so far Xeero's short string routine written for ADR Patcher 0.5 seems to be doing the trick.

Not sure if Xeero or the other file comparers have spotted that the newer kernels header area has changed slightly (probably not) but as their routine is not effected yet, it probably woulnd't occur to them, however I've seen some very odd byte changes done by released groups in the area offset 220 in the XBE or thereabouts... No idea why they feel they must patch that area with FF, it really doesn't make a slight bit of difference to anything as they are using Xeero's string later on in the XBE.

To me it seems like they're making more work for themselves and do not have a true understanding of Xbox code or what it does.

Anyways, my advice is always to check the Kernel version of a default.xbe file contained in your game before you go off looking to patch it etc. If the Kernel is lower than 5233.1 then it shouldn't need patching for a media check unless you are using a Engimah-X Beta or X-Tender 1.0

I think both Donty and I still use our original Enigmah-X Beta mods and I've never had a problem yet!

Visit Dextrose site www.dextrose.com Xbox Section, XBE Tools and grab deXBEv0.5 (fixed) if you want to check your kernel version using the Libraries / Misc Tab. You are looking at the XAPILIB Revision no.

As for your Xeero search string, you can find that and the ADR Patcher 0.5 (PS2 Download Section) over at ADR Forums.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by Mookie
    ... have spotted that the newer kernels header area has changed slightly (probably not) but as their routine is not effected yet, it probably woulnd't occur to them, however I've seen some very odd byte changes done by released groups in the area offset 220 in the XBE or thereabouts... No idea why they feel they must patch that area with FF, it really doesn't make a slight bit of difference to anything as they are using Xeero's string later on in the XBE.
    Force of habit or they dont have a clue.... Maybe required to patch there if ur using other methods tho for older chips.

And yes it has changed slighty recently... a shift of x bytes along in sequence in the xbe header ... If anyone looked at the revision of the different kernals then its quite clear that once the header changes ... the short string can change too (it has changed without changing it too). Its fact if you look at previous kernal revisions.

Also it quite worrying to see the FF 00 00 thing or whatever mask they are using as a title id since the position has changed and they havent got a clue it has... (Before the media flags they are 14 alternative title ids in the 1.1 header)

I think both Donty and I still use our original Enigmah-X Beta mods and I've never had a problem yet!
    Yes I have still got my enigmah beta. and still using it today (I mess on with my x-brick more than u it seems.) Theres no reason to upgrade yet for me... but im thinking about it. I know a few other ppl that are using beta chips and have no problems too

Visit Dextrose site www.dextrose.com Xbox Section, XBE Tools and grab deXBEv0.5 (fixed) if you want to check your kernel version using the Libraries / Misc Tab. You are looking at the XAPILIB Revision no.
    Detrose is a great analysis tool so u can see whats happening in the xbe from a glance. However do not use it to make new xbes cause the results change format of the xbe and this may affect compatibility for some xbes but not all.

As for your Xeero search string, you can find that and the ADR Patcher 0.5 (PS2 Download Section) over at ADR Forums.
    When it still works..... Why not use it