Close

Thread: Driving

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Driving

i am currently learning to drive and i betthere are many usres on this board who do drive, i was just wondering if any of you had good tips on how to be quick and successful, i really dont wanna have like 40 lessons but i will have to if need be, but just wondwered if any of you had tips

all replies very thankfull

cheers

nik

Thanks
    Karma Level

there isnt really that much you can do other than practise a lot outside of your lessons. you also want to book and pass your theory because you cant book your practical until you have an if your ready to take it an cant because of long waiting lists youre goin to be pissed off
    "There are two ways to slide easily through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both ways save us from thinking." - Alfred Korzybski

"Alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems" - Homer J. Simpson

Thanks
    Karma Level

Mirrors, mirrors, mirrors - Just check the ruddy things every 5 seconds. I failed a test because I didn't use my mirrors enough. I went back and just motioned my head to the mirrors every 5 seconds and passed.

Driving tests are pants. I had friend who passed his test whilst over the limit, due to a heavy night out the night before - He passed.

You've just got to look around at some of the people out there on the roads right now - How some of them passed I'll never know!!!

Just take it at your own pace - Don't rush or worry about it - Some people take to driving like a duck to water. Others need a little extra time.

I'm sure you'll be fine...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Agree with the mirrors comments.

In the test adjust them slightly so that you have to move your head to see the correct view. The examiner wont pick up your eye movements but he will notice you head moving slightly.

I didnt have any leasons , my dad taught me then I sat the test and failed... ha !! load of good he was.

Seriously tho it was rubbish reasons I failed.

Anyway then had 3 leasons with an instructor and passed no probs.

Morale of story, if you have a relative who is willing to take you out then make sure you use it !! 3 leasons saved me a heep of money !!

Also use the same car all the time if possible, you`ll learn where the clutch bites which can differ from car to car.

Another that worked a treat when I was learning and I still (kind of) use it now.

Cup your hand around the gear stick in the direction you want to move it. I`m trying to say dont just plonk your hand on the top of it.

If you want to go to 1st then cup bottom right..... for third from second cup bottom left and so on..... that one really helped me as I struggled with gears at 1st.

Now I just go 1st, 3rd, 5th lol

THE BARON

PS GOOD LUCK

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by Camden_Dave
    Mirrors, mirrors, mirrors - Just check the ruddy things every 5 seconds. I failed a test because I didn't use my mirrors enough. I went back and just motioned my head to the mirrors every 5 seconds and passed.

Driving tests are pants. I had friend who passed his test whilst over the limit, due to a heavy night out the night before - He passed.

You've just got to look around at some of the people out there on the roads right now - How some of them passed I'll never know!!!

Just take it at your own pace - Don't rush or worry about it - Some people take to driving like a duck to water. Others need a little extra time.

I'm sure you'll be fine...
    ok cheers for that, i have ordered a highway code book and doign sum tests off a cd rom. i have had around 15 lessons with a memeber of ther family,a and 1 proper lesson so far witha qualified instructor.

got rid of ma nervousness now behind the wheel jsut need to drive more better lol

cheers forthe rply m8 :-)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Originally posted by niky2k232

got rid of ma nervousness now behind the wheel jsut need to drive more better lol
    And spell better.

THE BARON

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yah check those mirrors every 3 seconds and always check them when you are going to something.

Also don't speed on your test or hit kerbs.......

I failed because of that for some reason

Thanks
    Karma Level

the manuveres are prolly the most difficult thing.

i failed first time round cos the guy said my emergency braking wasnt "prompt" enuff. im sure he was pished. any quicker and he'd have gone thru the windscreen the fat *******.

anyway passed second time with 3 minors. been drivin for bout year and half with no accidents so far. couple of near misses tho lol

just try and stay calm when ur doing the test. lose yer nerve and yer shafted.

Thanks
    Karma Level

At the end of the day, it depends what kind of day the examiner is having. eg. if he has just been dumped by his wife for the postman, u dont stand a chance in hell of passing.

i passed mine while a bit tipsy from the night before, and most of my driving lessons were taken while stoned,(thanks to marcode)

yeah, if you check mirrors at every opportunity, and get enough practise in before, there shouldn't be much of a problem.

tammer

Thanks
    Karma Level

My technique was just to drive around loads with someone who can sit in the passenger seat. I only took 7 lessons and passed on my second attempt (all the best drivers do), but must of driven for at least 20 hours with my dad and other people.

Oh and I was not stoned on the first test, but was on the second... Being stoned helps.
    Liverpool FC - Pride of Merseyside
    Attention - Use Ebay? - Support DF and use this link when buying/selling/signing up:
    The Digital Forums / Ebay Affiliate Link

Thanks
    Karma Level

Was pissing myself when I took my first test, thought I'd failed when I was driving out the car park cos I'd seen him write three marks so just though oh fuck and didn't worry after that - turns out the fucker was writing my name down and I'd passed Only problem was at the end when we were driving back to the test centre at Mansfield cos a power cable fell down onto the car and the instructor was shitting his pants and fucked off for ten minutes - he comes back, realises it's a telephone cable and felt like a right pussy... I got twatted when I got back home to celebrate Didn't drive for about a month after cos I couldn't be arsed andI'm a lazy *******
    Go shagging in Prague or live it large in Vegas !!

Thanks
    Karma Level

I just took my first test and failed..apparently due to to much hesitating before pulling away at big ass busy roundabouts..but I think it was mainly cus the fat fuck of an examiner just didnt like me..
    Photography: Canon EOS 40D, Canon EOS 350D, Canon BG-E2N Grip, Canon BG-E3 Grip, Canon 18-55mm EF, Canon 17-85mm IS USM, Sigma 70-300mm Macro, Canon 70-200mm F4 L + Tripod Mount, Sigma DG SUPER Flash.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I passed third time

First time I failed on a reverse park, clipped the kerb

second time I failed on trying to go through traffice lights when they were on amber, something everyone does in normal driving, but I was a bit over confident and should really have just fucking stopped.

Both times I had very very few minor faults

I think the rules may have changed now but at the time (10 years ago) you could have as many minors as possible and not fail.

On my third test, I was out on the piss the night before, I got in about 2.30 in the morning and was woken up by my instuctor ringing the doorbell at 9.00am for the pre-test lesson.
    I was groggy as fuck and still pissed from the night before.
    In the pre-test lesson the instructor asked me to do an emergency stop, and cos I was still a bit pissed, for a laugh I slammed the anchors on as hard as I could and skidded like fuck and probably took about a half an inch of tread of tyres, he was well paniced and I said I was joking and then did it properly.

When it came to my test, I drove shit, and thought I might have failed, but I passed! and with about twenty odd minor faults, compared to about 6 on my first test.
    The examiner asked if it was my first test! I must have been shit.:shy: