Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Atkins and Excersise, Dangerous ???

Just wondered if any of you guys have tried the atkins while doing any reasonable amount of excersise as in body building. I have heard mixed results about Atkins and cardio excersise, and that all came out good, but if you are lifting weights to grow surely it cant be all good can it, although protein makes you actually grow, are carbs still the enemy even if you want to grow, or is that down to calorie intake ??

Any comments anyone ?

Thanks
    Karma Level

atkins diet is bad for you, liek now and majority of the population take in foods like chips pizza, fish, chocolate and all the other favourites people have, then all of a sudden your diet changes dramaticalyl coming onto that diet, so your body would have to adjust to high intake of the foods the atkins diet, also its losing what you norm eat the stuff in that, so its a major change to your body and so its bad, because your body woudl have to adjust very quickly and so liek that girl who died being on the atkins diet some couldent handle it.

nik

Thanks
    Karma Level

here is a link for more info Morph

htAtkins diet

nik

Thanks
    Karma Level

I tried the akins diet, even though im not overweight I decided that it would be a great idea to burn my excess body fat and help to get a bit more definition.

My plan was to go on the diet, for a few weeks and during that time get doing a few more weights, my thoughts were that if all I was taking in was proteins, I should be able to get great results within a very short time.
    But the first day on it, I felt very weak, and was lucky to lift myself out of the chair.
    The second day I felt ill as f**k, and had a pounding head that I just couldent shift.
    On the third day it was just too much, I could not do anything I felt totally drained of energy, my head was still pounding, and still I had not lifted any weights, so I gave the diet up.

During my 3 days dieting my body did not go into Kesosis like it supposed, after the average time of 2 days, if I had carried on until it did I might of felt ok but I just did not want to take the risk.

My advice, is don't bother, but if you do it might be better to cut your carbs out over a few day period instead of all at once like me.

Thanks
    Karma Level

me and guns spoke to the guys that run the gym we go about the atkins diet and they were really against it, espcially if your trying to exercise at the same time.

every story i've heard about lifting weights and being on atkins has been bad, headaches are the bad headaches and being drained are the common theme of it all.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Most fad diets and diets in general don;t work because while people might see good results from whatever diet it is they do, when they reach their ideal weight they go back to eating all the shite they ate before and in no time at all the weight has been put back on with usually a few extra pounds added for good measure.

If you wanna be fit, healthy and slim the best way is to change your eating habits for life, not just the duration of your diet, change your lifestyle not your eating habits. Cut out foods high in saturated fats and eat plenty of steamed vegetables and fruit along with more white fish and chicken in your diet as opposed to red meat. Also add more fibre to your diet and stay away from sweet treats and chocolate. Its common sense and will power, without either of those you will never be your ideal weight.

Thanks
    Karma Level

so what you are saying is no more deep fried mars bars then ?

@[:#~ !Gutted! @[]:~

Thanks
    Karma Level

Be a friend to your body..........................substitute the frying with steaming and instead of a mars bar consider a stick of celery, the taste, while not the same is surprisingly similar.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Atkins and Excersise, Dangerous ???

For my two cents worth, I'm on the Atkins Diet, have never felt ill or tired because of it. After about two weeks, once I could start to eat carbs again (you are allowed carbs on the diet, just not at the start), I noticed that I was actually eating less than before. I think that's how the diet works. By eating protein, and avoiding sugary foods, you appease your appetite faster, and thus don't eat as much. I train with free weights and have taekwon do sessions 2-3 times a week. I've already dropped 5 kg in just 3 weeks, and feel 10 times the person. I just feel that it works for me.

I've heard theories that toxins we ingest are stored along with fat in our body's cells. Thus, when the cells are emptied during the first phase of the diet, the toxins get released, giving the famous bad breath, headaches etc. I know this is only hypothesising but it seems to make sense to me.

Thanks
    Karma Level

from a personal opinion I dont agree with any kind of diet at all, i dont see why you should starve yer body to lose weight when u can just go for a run or up the gym on a treadmill and work it off, i think like this because i find i feel better about myself if I have worked at it rather than starve myself, instead of diets just eat healthy and do some exercise

My manager in work is on the cerial diet (2 bowls of cerial a day and an afternoon light meal.... WTF) and she is finding it hard to do anything because she feels sick on empty an empty stomach

I may be wrong and some diets are good but ones such as the atkins diet I see as being a waste of time!!

Moses

Thanks
    Karma Level

The problem is that I already exercise quite a bit aerobically and strength-wise and weight was NOT shifting. I had been a believer in eating what you want and then working it off, but I was holding constant at the same weight (about a stone over what I should be). So I decided an attack on my diet had to be next.

Only eating two bowls of cereal in the morning and for lunch just sounds downright ridiculous. For instance this morning, I had a poached egg, grilled sausage and some cheese. For lunch I just had a bowl of curried tuna, and a feta and tomato salad. Much nicer than two bowls of cereal.

Thanks
    Karma Level

high protein low carbs has been a typical weight traingin diet for a long time. I don't like using labels.
    so what should you eat?
    Good quality food, cut out all the processed sh!te we pump into ourselves. Eat more protein. Don't eat sugar or processed wheat.... Don't try to cut out fat your body needs it. Low fat food is full of sugar instead, don't eat sugar.

Eat fish, red meat, white meat, eggs, fruit, nuts, leaves, berries, some rice. Drink lots... of water! drink milk to gain weight and strength. Don't eat the processed rubbish that is everywhere.

Go to the gym, lift weights, hard and heavy, sweat at it. Learn to do a few other exercises other than the bench press. I know so many people that can bench more than they squat and look at me so confused when i push them over so easily.

Do all of this and you will gain, and that is all there is about it!

Oh! Don't listen too much to others opinions and find what works for you, most peoples opinions are ill imformed hearsay....but thats just my opinion.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Didn't try atkins as such but I have cut out carb's\wheat as much as possible from my diet. The result is I am slimmer and have lost body fat, but I am constantly hungry and the nausea can be terrible.

Thanks
    Karma Level

eat more!
    and drink more water too (the water will work on the nausea, or at least usually does!)
    Alot of people want to gain mass and strength from their training, yet do not eat enough and are always hungry..
    Bodybuilders often claim the worst thing about their training is the hunger from dieting, but that is only in competition build up period, they could not be so big unless they ate and ate to gain and maintain mass.

By the way, lots of bodybuilders are really strong and look well, but I always thought it was wierd to spend your time training to be strong and yet the competition involves 'looking pretty' not being strong at all! I always thought it was like footballers training hard all the week, practising their skills, and then on Saturday the competition was for them to parade up and down and look pretty, not to score goals and use their skills...
    Hey wait a minute.... thats what most of them do as it is... sorry I had it all wrong!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooed Freak
    Didn't try atkins as such but I have cut out carb's\wheat as much as possible from my diet. The result is I am slimmer and have lost body fat, but I am constantly hungry and the nausea can be terrible.
    A good way to try and curb your hunger is to have a good breakfast
    in the morning..I mean eating decent grub...and try if possible to eat every
    2-3 hours but in small amounts...it is a bummer doing this but it helps the hunger
    and you should not be feeling nausea....it's like everything else..just give it a go
    What works for one does not mean to say it will work for you...trial n error!!!
    try n keep your high carb foods for during the day and low carbs in the evening
    as your body is whinning down later on.....unless you do any weights/cardio..

Thanks
    Karma Level

Atkins is the only thing that really worked for me, you guys have to realise though that the headaches are because you are too strict.

Sure 20g's of carbs are the 'rule' but most people can have 40g-60g and still be in Ketosis.

To find out how you are doing on it buy some Ketostix from you chemist, 2 days into the Atkins piss on the stick and see if there is a colour change, if there is then you are in Ketosis, which is where you want to be. Then increase your carbs slightly and try it a couple of days later and keep increasing until there is no colour change, that will give you your limit.

I go to the Gym 3 times a week, I do heavy weights and Cardio, no problems there.
    If you get a headache or dizzy spell have a glucose tab.

I also had my bloodwoork done and during the atkins diet my Triglycerides were in the VERY low range, which can't be bad.

Don't eat too much meat, keep the saturate fat down by cooking with olive oil and use lean meat.

I could go on for hours about this as I've been on the Atkins approach for over a year now......
    Trying not to kill myself...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMQH_xrFmKU

Thanks
    Karma Level

I quit the no carb's diet as it is f@cking me up. Have been eating small amounts more often and have constantly been hungry. This has increased the desire to binge eat on junk. Sick of feeling hungry and tired, gonna go back to a normal diet and pop some fat burner's!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

i have been on te atkinsdiet and i trained 3 times a week and felt like crap cos of havingno energy buti stuck at it for 3 months cos i was overweight and i lost 5 stone. at th end of the day its up to you ifyouwant to do it. this is areply for th firstpostin the thread