Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Interested to see what you think of this site.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Personally I dont think its a very clever thing to refer to disabled people (bodily or mentally) as tards.
    My mother works at a school for children with severe learning difficultys (or whatever the term is today for special schools, cos it keeps changing) and she often has tales of what happened at her school recently.
    Some are really sad, some heart warming, some pant pissingly hilarious.
    But they are told in a straight forwardly frank way.
    To take the piss out of these people and refer to them as tards is wrong in my opinion.
    Last edited by jimbob2002; 3rd October 2003 at 01:24 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm sure i saw this site awhile back.... not so funny... I've not had to experience special need children yet in Japan... I really hope i dont have too.

Thanks
    Karma Level

jimbob,

I fully agree with you. I have an elder cousin with down's. The reason I asked is that her father brought the site up in conversation. He, as I found the site of extreme poor taste whereas some of the people who help care for her and others had no problem with the content.

In my experience, it seems those who do have day to day contact through work had no problems while those on the outside or had friends and relatives with learning problems found the site offensive.

May just be a case of de-senitised to the topic at hand.

G
    Last edited by GETanner; 5th October 2003 at 08:55 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Haven't got time to really read the site, but I gather from your comments that its trying to get laffs off the back of what these poor kids get up to. If thats the case then it's clearly wrong, these kids deserve our respect and although this sites faq and disclaimer try to defend the content it's a cheap way to get laffs and says more about the author than the kids.

Thanks
    Karma Level

boring, seen it before, not my kinda funny.

as tanner says people who are in day to day contact with disabled children would probably find it amusing.

That can be said about ANY job really, we have all laughed at the misfortune of someone else regarding the jobs we are in at some time in our lives, it's human nature to do so.

If it offends you then either don't read it or think about why it's offended you and do something about it instead of whinging! (sp?) ........

Thanks
    Karma Level

so its okay to have websites taking the piss out of other minorities too?
    What about a website taking the piss out of terminally ill people?
    Or people in wheel chairs or people with cancer, or blind or deaf people?
    Is that okay?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I work with autistic people for a living and have a cousin with muscular distrophy, so reading through the thread first i expected to be offended.

However it didnt offend me, the guy comes across as really dumb, one of the jokes on the reader submitted stories did make me laugh though, its not big or clever to laugh at people less fortunate than yourself but if somethings funny what can you do, im sure we've all been there.

The idea behind it is a bit sick in my opinion but as someone already said if your likely to be offended just move on

How many millions of pages of crap by idiots is there on the net?

Is it worth letting them bother you?
    Last edited by 2High; 3rd October 2003 at 04:09 PM.
    <BR><A HREF="http://howitcouldhavebeen.da.ru">It could have been so easy!</A><BR><BR><A HREF="http://www.cannabis.com/untoldstory/">The untold story!</A><BR><BR><A HREF="http://www.petitionthem.com/?sect=detail&pet=34">Sign the petition to legalse cannabis!</A><BR>

Thanks
    Karma Level

if you actually read any of the blog entries then you'll find they're not really that offensive (unless you're extremely sensitive), if you discard the fact that they're referred to as 'tards. Take a look at this most recent entry for example:
    #15: Malcolm's annoying chair

I was supervising a few students during their individual play time, when I heard the ear-piercing roar of our fire alarm. I immediately assumed my typical position next to the door, making sure the tards make it outside, while my aides herded them towards me.

Malcolm decided he doesn't want to go outside. The aide assisting Malcolm starts pushing him towards the door, and he immediately slams his chair into reverse. She pushes harder, the motor starts making a loud buzzing sound, and the room smells faintly of burnt oil.

I step forward and move Malcolm's finger off of the control, after this he starts rolling towards the door. The second I turn around to
    check on the other tards he hits reverse again. Hearing that load motor buzz, I swing around and grab the side of Malcolm's chair, sliding his arm off the side and into his lap, making it impossible for him to hit his finger control. The aide then pushed him out the door.

Once we were outside and lined up, I put Malcolm's arm back on the side of his chair. Malcolm immediately started flying back towards the room. I grabbed his chair and held him in place, while the motor made that nice buzzing sound. Now all the teachers and their classes are staring at me holding this wheelchair tard in place while his chair is making the most horrendous buzzing sound ever.

I finally got fed up. In the hopes that he would drain his battery, I put on the manual breaks and walked back over to our classes line. Malcolm must have sat there buzzing for a good ten minutes. Finally after all the other classes went back, including ours, I took off his brakes and allowed him back into the building.

I still don't know why Malcolm wanted to be in the building so much.
    See, it's actually just objective reports rather than piss-taking.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I live next door to a 'special-needs' teacher,he refers to the children he teaches as pupils not 'tards' and yes he does tell of funny things they do but only as any teacher would relate a tale,plus he does not take the piss out any cards or presents he gets from them even if they are 'shite' as these so called caring american 'teachers' seem to like refering to them.
    'shite-site' nuff said.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I sincerely hope Brody Voss & Riti Sped both suffer accidents so that I can start up a new website telling everyone about them being tards .

If these arseholes really are teachers then they need booting out of thier professions immediately. You dont see doctors starting up websites to mock thier patients do you ?

Its wrong fullstop.:annoyed:
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

When i found this site months ago, I had a "what the ****" reaction, but when you actually read the blogs and the faq, you look at it in a different light.

My mother used to work (at different times) with both mentally and physically handicapped people, and one of my best friends had a degenreative disease which left him, fully compus-mentus, in a wheelchair and unable to co-ordinate himself.

I don't find it offensive in any way. If you actually read the site, they go to great lengths to explain that tard is not short for retard, or anything offensive.

I suppose it comes back to your personal point of view, and sensitivity. The sites been going for ages now, so I think if it was that bad, someone would have forced it down by now.
    NtB
    We'll be coming...