Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Give me your worst.........

In the process of finally getting some kind of portfolio online, please have a look and tell me what you think.

The site is simple and intended just to showcase some of my work, it contains no content as yet but the design stage is finished.

http://www.iko-media.co.uk/test/

thanks.............

Thanks
    Karma Level

I like the modern layout, I also like the little leaves on the buttons, reminds me off predators self destruct button coundtown thingy on his arm at the end of Predator 1.

Anyway, its a bit dark and pastely colour wise. Could maybe do with something brighter or maybe add metallic or chrome effects to lighten it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Id stay away from metalic and chrome personaly, not my cup of tea.

Czar, id try and avoid using those spacer gifs, e.gif, sometimes they dont load properly and then the page is full of alt tags, better to space via td widths, or use style="position: relative; top: #px; left: #px" etc.

Also it wasnt instantly aparent that the "flowers" (i too thought of predator ) are rollovers for the menu.

Overall it seems to just be lacking something to make it stand out, but then ive no advice as to what cause im a coder and not a designer, infact i totaly suck at graphic design
    Last edited by monsta; 21st October 2003 at 03:06 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by monsta
    Id stay away from metalic and chrome personaly, not my cup of tea.

Czar, id try and avoid using those spacer gifs, e.gif, sometimes they dont load properly and then the page is full of alt tags, better to space via or use style="position: relative; top: #px; left: #px" etc.

Also it wasnt instantly aparent that the "flowers" (i too thought of predator ) are rollovers for the menu.

Overall it seems to just be lacking something to make it stand out, but then ive no advice as to what cause im a coder and not a designer, infact i totaly suck at graphic design
    Thanks for comments lads, I'm happy with the colours etc, I want the site to be simple and let my work stand out rather than make the site too flashy and detract from my work.

As for using CSS2 positioning m8, I'm using the HTML 4.01 Transitional DTD cos I want people with lower spec browsers to be able to see the layout as it should be. The only conceivable way people are gonna see place markers is if they have gfx switched off or there is a problem with the server.

Thanks
    Karma Level

yep, well i hate css, thats because im a flash scripter so the thought of browsers and the like scareme, if it works in the flash player it works in the flash player. but i did have a prob with some gfx not apearin on the site properly, just checked it now and it did it again ...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hmm, thanks m8, not sure whats causing that, trying to replicate it here but I'm getting everything ok, prolly the server. Once 1 instance of e.gif I'm using as a spacer is in your cache it should then be available to all image holders that specify it......not sure m8. Did u get any image holders instead of images jimbob?

Thanks
    Karma Level

done to a high standard as usual dude, but i'm not keen on it.

if there's one thing i've learnt from working with customers it's make things they need to use big and clear, the menu isn't clear right away and you haven't left much space to display your work in, but im guessing your going to pop iframes in or something to scroll.

it's nice it just doesn't say pay me to make you a clear cut website. it says look what i can do aren't i clever, don't take that the wrong way because your very talented.

Thanks
    Karma Level

no mate, it loads fine on mine
    Last edited by jimbob2002; 21st October 2003 at 03:40 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

well i do get probs with pages displaying properly sometimes, my IE may be slightly buggy (wouldnt be suprised) but its normally when reading pages with gfx that have repeated uses, though that doesnt make sense its what happens

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by xdam
    done to a high standard as usual dude, but i'm not keen on it.

if there's one thing i've learnt from working with customers it's make things they need to use big and clear, the menu isn't clear right away and you haven't left much space to display your work in, but im guessing your going to pop iframes in or something to scroll.

it's nice it just doesn't say pay me to make you a clear cut website. it says look what i can do aren't i clever, don't take that the wrong way because your very talented.

Fair comments m8, I hear what ur saying, it's not gonna appeal to everyone, especially traditional businesses etc, I agree with you about what most clients want. But I don't expect to get much work thru this site and really just want a site to showcase what work I've already done.

It's a little dark and drab but I like dark and drab and it's really an expression of my own tastes, it's not often we get to express ourselves fully on sites we build for clients because there are so many constraints as you've highlighted, so this site is to satisfy myself really and also let people see what I've done in the past etc.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie
    it's not we get to express ourselves fully on sites we build for clients because there are so many constraints as you've highlighted, so this site is to satisfy myself really and also let people see what I've done in the past etc.
    good point, i don't get that luxury making our sites however i want as i work for a company and there's always constraints which i think have sort of entered my system and i take on board myself everytime i sit down to make a new site or see another.

Thanks
    Karma Level

sex
    Photography: Nikon D50 - 18-55mm, 70-300mm, 105mm Macro, 2 x 2gb SD Cards, Jessops Tripod, LowePro Rucksack

Thanks
    Karma Level

I like the site....simple but effective. The third button doesnt seem to do anything, no animation, is there a reason for this?

BM

Thanks
    Karma Level

I really like this layout and design.

It's noted that you are doing something different to the usual gfx rich slow portfolio sites.

Its really clean, I found it very easy to use and really liked the smart image effects.

Its a perfect case of using design and style to compliment what you are going to be putting across and not trying to really impress everyone with common 3D generated images and flash animations.

I can see a lot of wasted space on larger resolutions, but as you've gone for a fixed size site, then thats always going to be the case as you need to have a site that all browser resolutions can see.

I'd also link the main IKO image back to the homepage just to give peeps some consistancy with what most sites provide.

I'd personally add a colour switcher which can be done very simply using PHP and multiple style sheets and a really cool effect can be achieved (pm me if you want the script).
    Also I would add a touch of colour to the rotating flower which is pretty similar to mine (www.devscripts.net) hover over the flower logo thing lol

Very nice anyways, let us know when you've filled in the content and we can have a proper play/review.

Cheers,
    WTD

Thanks
    Karma Level

BM the third button is disabled as that is the menu option you are currently on

Thanks
    Karma Level

Right gotcha .......I dont like that!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for the feedback WTD m8, it's nice to hear the views of people in the industry as well as people looking at it from a consumer perspective.

Thanks for the idea's I think I will have a mess around with colours and have a look at that colour switching script you recommended, might be worth the effort to actually make the site available in say 3 or 4 differing colours and let visitors to the site choose the look they prefer.

Thank again m8 and thanks to everyone who has posted, some valuble feedback and some good ideas.

I'll post again when I've reached the next stage.

Thanks
    Karma Level

CJ, check out this website, its a Flash site, but it looks to be in a similar style to yours, It has some good features too, some you may want to emulate.

http://www.thehificlub.co.uk

Thanks
    Karma Level

that hifi club site is good, a little ugly and dull tho. But I dont think CJ is wanting to design the whole site in flash
    Photography: Nikon D50 - 18-55mm, 70-300mm, 105mm Macro, 2 x 2gb SD Cards, Jessops Tripod, LowePro Rucksack

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by jimbob2002
    CJ, check out this website, its a Flash site, but it looks to be in a similar style to yours, It has some good features too, some you may want to emulate.

http://www.thehificlub.co.uk
    It's an ok site m8, but to be honest I ain't a massive Flash fan, not unless its really special.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast