Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default butter vs margerine

Somebody sent me this thought i'd share it,idon't know how much truth is in it
    but its looking better for anchor and lurpak.
    apologies if its been posted before

Here are some fascinating facts about butter & margarine. Good advice when making food selections is to always keep it as close to the natural way God intended.

BUTTER VS MARGARINE

Both have the same amount of calories.

Butter is slightly higher in saturated fats at 8 grams compared to 5 grams.

Eating margarine can increase heart disease in women by 63%.

Eating butter increases the absorption of many other nutrients.

Butter has many nutritional benefits where margarine has a few only because they are added.

Butter tastes much better than margarine and it can enhance the flavors of other foods.

Butter has been around for centuries where margarine has been around for less than 100 years.

Now For Margarine:

Margarine is very high in trans-fatty acids.

Margarine triples the risk of coronary heart disease.

Margarine increases LDL ("bad" cholesterol).

Margarine lowers HDL ("good" cholesterol).

Margarine increases the risk of cancers by up to five fold.

Margarine lowers quality of breast milk.

Margarine decreases immune response.

Margarine decreases insulin response.

And here is the most disturbing fact. Margarine is but ONE MOLECULE from being PLASTIC! (This fact alone should be enough reason to avoid margarine for life and anything else that is hydrogenated. This means hydrogen is added, changing the molecular structure of the food.)

You can try this for yourself. Purchase a tub of margarine and leave it in your garage or a shaded area. Within a couple of days you will note a couple of things.

No flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it - it has no nutritional value. Nothing will grow on it - even those teeny weenie microorganisms will not find a home to grow.

Why? Because margarine is nearly plastic. Would you melt your Tupperware and spread that on your toast?

Ann E. Rogers, Secretary, National Cancer Institute at Frederick Center for Cancer Research Basic Research Laboratory Gene Regulation Section, Building 576, room 107, Frederick, MD 21702.

Wow, doesn't that make you want to throw all the margarine in your fridge into the dustbin?
    Smile it's the second best thing you can do with your lips:D :D :D
    I'd walk a mile for one of your smiles and even
    farther for that thing you do with your tongue.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Ann E. Rogers, Secretary, National Sell More Butter Institute at Frederick Center for Selling More Butter Research Basic Research Laboratory Gene Regulation Section, Building 576, room 107, Frederick, MD 21702
    That statement about the, er well this:

No flies, not even those pesky fruit flies will go near it - it has no nutritional value. Nothing will grow on it - even those teeny weenie microorganisms will not find a home to grow.

That's not quite true, I've had loads of green mould in my marge in the fridge. Well it was that 'olive oil' stuff, but it still went off.
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Thanks
    Karma Level

I was going to cry HOS when I saw this thinking it was just a poll but everything said there is true.

A lot of the bad things are because the oil used to produce margarine is hydrogenated.

They pump billions of tiny Hydrogen molecules through the oil and this makes it a trans fatty acid kind of oil which is what causes most the bad points.

Then again, trans fatty acids are also a large constituent in most mass produces choocolate and peanut butter, this is due to the long shelf life of the fat.

Excellent post. :thumbs
    Trying not to kill myself...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMQH_xrFmKU

Thanks
    Karma Level

Oooh! I'll have to remember that next time I get in from a night out of 10 pints, 6 shots, a couple of lines and endless fag smoke and I've got the munchies for some marg on toast.

Just say no to marg people!!

I do have vague memories from my childhood of my mother eating dripping (being the fat scrapings from the bottom of a roasting tin) on toast. Bleeuggh!!
    If you can smell it, it's in your mouth.
    Click

ABCMan

nothing wrong with a mucky fat (or dripping as some call it) sarnie.

must admit i use the olivio stuff too, on my doctors recommendation (family history of heart trouble) apart from which it spreads straight from the fridge rather than just ripping the bread to pieces or leaving huge chunks of butter all ove the place, in fact the very fact that it spreads easily means i use a lot less than if i was using butter, oh and whilst the above may have applied to marge many years ago (it was like axel grease back then) it has improved.

Thanks
    Karma Level

All Marge tastes crap compared to butter, I wouldn't dream of buying it.

To avoid the bread ripping, get a butter dish and stick it in your cupboard, just enough for a couple of days so it is always fresh.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The margerine they are talking about is "basic" margerine. It is not good. The olive type is nowhere near as bad and I will carry on eating it.

You've got to die of something!
    Cheers - Coin-Op

Thanks
    Karma Level

@ ABC grab some of this mate, apparently it affect cholesterol the same way the statin drugs do...

http://www.sourcenaturals.com/products/GP1673.html

(Statin drugs are what they give to people with high cholesterol but they are also a good therapy for protection)

Gel
    Trying not to kill myself...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMQH_xrFmKU

Thanks
    Karma Level

cant understand why people need something that spreads "straight from the fridge", butter in my house spreads "straight from the dish" instead, you see i use this device called a butter dish, that "shock" doesnt go in the fridge

only jesting, but you dont have to keep butter in the fridge, just not on the radiator.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I use marge mainly for toast

for sandwiches i just use olive oil, or plain if the sandwich as a oily filling.
    Photography: Nikon D50 - 18-55mm, 70-300mm, 105mm Macro, 2 x 2gb SD Cards, Jessops Tripod, LowePro Rucksack