Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default My Hotpoint Fridge Freezer Stopped Working....

Its one of those more modern versions with those cold air inlets in the back.

The freezer works (bottom half), but the top part - the refridgerator, stopped working. Everythings become warm inside :|

Anyway, is it a simple matter of buying and replacing a part, or is it a difficult job? If so, how much should i be expecting to pay an expert to get it fixed? Is it very expensive

Thanks

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: My Hotpoint Fridge Freezer Stopped Working....

lie it on its back for a few hours and then try it again.

oE.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The most common fault in this situation i.e. part working is the thermostat , if its adjustable try give a few turns and keep the door switch closed so yaw can hear if it kicks in if not try bypass this will take some electrical knowledge and could result in bodily injury if not suitably qualified !!!!!! If it kicks in then order a thermostat install it should be no more than 10 quid a repair man will charge ya 45-50

Thanks
    Karma Level

Its this one i think i have:
    http://www.shopcreator.com/mall/easy...uct-109764.stm

Need to check the model number to make sure - but the controls are in the front, and they are in the form of buttons, and theres a digital display that tells you what temperature its at, and what settings you've changed things to etc.

At the moment, the bottom half is working properly, but the top half isn't (fridge).

I wouldn't even know how where to get a thermostat from, and even though i'm not an eletrician, i do play with the odd bit of electrical equipment here and there - nothing too fancy though, just a few wires and stuff here and there, and thats about what i can do :|

I checked hotpoints site, and they say that they give a 5 years parts guaruntee, which means if i get it fixed by them the part should be free, however, they say that their own electricians have to fit it, and they charge £35 to come and check, and a further £60 for labour :coffee:
    That's over the top right? or is that the normal price?

If its a matter of just taking a part out and replacing it, i think i could do it, just need somebody to point me to a place where i can buy the part from, and maybe a few instructions if possible

Thanks

ps. the sad thing is, it had a 1 years guarantee (inc labour etc) - but its 1 year and 6 months old. You'd think they program them to become faulty after your guarantees over or something

Thanks
    Karma Level

I love the second line on the add!!!! That’s a howler “No defrosting ever"
    As I said b4 tinkering with 240v is not a good idea however try http://www.asdir.co.uk/
    I would try them and ask is the part consistent with the fault after all they won’t want to come and fix it just sell ya the parts they may help...
    if the control is digital ,may be poss. as ya say its got a temp readout then there may be a diff prob ya could always get the yellow pages out and get a free quote tell em its for ya insurance hence quote .... Free diagnostics and then order the part and ask em to fit it @ least ya giving somet for the quote ....

Thanks
    Karma Level

i bought the ffa90 from john lewis about 4 months ago which is more or less the same

as far as i can remember hotpoint give a 5 years parts and 2 years labour, we extened this to 5 of each for about 50 quid

also when we received ours it did not work and hotpoint sent a replacement within a couple of days

so far i have been happy with the fridge and the service although they did not take the faulty 1 back, john lewis had to pick it up and we had 2 massive fridges for a few days

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sounds similair to our Samsung fridge matey..

Basically only the Freezer compartment is refrigerated and cold air is blown through the fridge vent when needed. Either the vent hole is iced up and thus preventing airflow or the moving vent ( if fitted ) is jammed, again either ice build up or a faulty motor.

Does/did yours make a growling kinda niose when it worked normally? ours does and its the vent opening and shutting from the freezer compartment..

What you can do is empty it and leave it off for a day or so, that will clear the vent of ice if its that and try it again. If that doesn't cure it then its most likely a seized vent, faulty motor..

DO NOT lie it on its back for a while then plug it in, the oil will drain out of the compressor and you'll run the risk of it siezing if you plug it in too quickly. If you do decide to lay in on its back then leave it upright for about 4 hours before plugging it back in, same goes if your moving house and transporting your fridge lying down, give it a few hours for the oil to find its way back down to the compressor.

I know, I'm a fridge dude!! :thumbs

Hope this helps you in some way mate, hard without looking at it!

Mike.
    PS2
    Pioneer A03