Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default networking help required

hi there all happy new year
    i am in need of a bit of help i have a wired network upstairs in my house an one downstairs i both on seperate hubs i also have an access point on the one downstairs so i can use my laptop anywhere i wish i have now installed a wireless card onto one of the pc's upstairs in hope i could link between up and down all is good and the pc with the wireless card has the internet but none of the others they all have ip's that are different but when i try to get all the other pc's to work on the internet upstairs i have no luck does anyone have any ideas i dont want anymore wires and dont want to bridge the access point or i will lose my laptop freedom i need to know what DNS and Gateway to use upstairs and if i require anymore hardware
    Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: networking help required

wowee that is confusing
    (having 2000 sheds is just taking it too far m8)

ahem :-
    Quote Originally Posted by simplified version of shed2000
    i there all happy new year
    i am in need of a bit of help.

i have a wired network upstairs in my house and one downstairs, both on seperate hubs. i also have an access point on the one downstairs so i can use my laptop anywhere - i wish!

I have now installed a wireless card onto one of the pc's upstairs in hope i could link between up and down. all is good and the pc with the wireless card has the internet but none of the others.

they all have ip's that are different but when i try to get all the other pc's to work on the internet upstairs i have no luck. does anyone have any ideas? i dont want anymore wires and dont want to bridge the access point or i will lose my laptop freedom i need to know what DNS and Gateway to use upstairs and if i require anymore hardware.
    Thanks in advance
    right m8

i think i know what you need to do after sorting out that garbled mess into sentences :oops

go onto the pc with the wireless card and right click on My Network Places (you'll need winxp or mabye 2k for this to work btw) and choose properties.

you should get a box with both lan cards comming up. select them both and right click and chose bridge. then set up the other pcs with exactly the same internet settings as all the other ones that already work.

obviously the pc with the wireless card will need to be turned on for the upstairs one to get online.

your laptop should still work as normal. with this setup you should also be able to access shared files and printers on all the pcs regardless of which floor tehy are on.

hope this helps :o

TwoSheds

Thanks
    Karma Level

thanks mate ill give it a try as for 2000 sheds its a long story

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ok well i have tried bridgeing the wireless card and the pci card but it wouldnt work i the n decided just to see if the network was ok i hard wired it and that was ok so now im lost as on wireless the dhcp dont seem to work