Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

RTFM times ahead for this noob

Hi there. Pete's my name!

How'd I get here? I've joined up in the process of learning... and I've got a lot to learn by the looks of it! Fun, fun, fun.

I found you guys via HelpFiles DigitalCable

FYI, I'm a software developer who dabbles in the hardware side of things... half the time I look for technical info just because I like to know how things work. Unfortunately, at this time I know almost zilch about digital cable TV, since I've never actually had any sort of pay TV before.

I've just moved into an apartment which appears to have NTL cable wired up. I presume it's NTL, since Telewest don't service this area ( SW10 ) and other people in the bulding appear to be getting NTL bills. I also, can't get satellite since dish installation is a no-go.

I called up NTL (multiple times) and asked to subscribe, but they won't let me sign-up without taking a phone package. I need my BT line for ADSL connection, so I'd basically end up paying for 2 phone lines if I went with NTL (NTL can't provide broadband here, either).

Anyway, now that I've purchased a DI4000-N, I'm trying to learn how I can modify it so that I can at least get the free channels. I'm searching for good tutorials on how to modify the box, and I'm finding that most tutes are for 2000 or 4001 boxes.

First up, I have to work out if there's actually a live link on the cable in my room. I think I'll have to startup <A HREF="http://www.digital-forums.com/showthread.php?t=191466">another thread</A> to ask about that.

So far (presuming I have an active digital cable), I think I'll be looking at purchasing a Smartmouse USB programmer and making a Funcard for the box, as well as killing talkback in the 4000... but that's just first impressions. If anyone can point me in the right direction for how-to's, I'd really appreciate it.

Oh yeah... I think I'll also be looking at making some mods to my Xbox in the near future. I'm also thinking about getting into TiVO.

If all goes well, I may be able to write the definitive DI4000 mod guide when I'm done!
    Last edited by XevilD; 25th January 2004 at 10:15 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: RTFM times ahead for this noob

:rtfm

Welcome, you'll get a lot of knowledge off the peeps in here. :thumbs