Floppy Shagged

Thread: Floppy Shagged

cellardoor said:

Default Floppy Shagged

HELP GUYS,

This has happened on both my home and work PC and haven't got a clue.

The floppy drive has just packed up...even with a disk in, it keeps on saying 'Please insert a disk into drive (a)'. I have checked on Device Manager and all the like and Windows 'see's' it and the correct default driver seems to be there and I've looked in the BIOS and I have been told that it all seems correct so I am snookered!!!!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers folks

urbsy said:

Default Re: Floppy Shagged

I have a similar problem with mine when its fastened in the pc case , but it works when its out.
    I was told that the screws that hold it in place are sometimes too tight and it squashes the drive a bit causing it not to work.

Might not be the problem m8 , but I would unscrew it and try it.

urbsy

BM said:

Are you sure its not the disk itself? Have u tried another? If not try replacing the cable.

BM

TwoPlAnKs said:

if the drive is too near the front of the case (in oem drives anyway) then the case gets in the way of the flappy bit and it ****s up

this happened to my brothers pc since i had never used a oem floppy before and i just jammed it in as far as it would go, and then it couldnt read disks. didnt take long to figure it out though

TwoSheds

cellardoor said:

Come on guys, talk about stating the obvious...the fact that I am internet conversant at least shows I know the first thing about PC's.

Seriously though, can anyone come up with a non-patronising sensible piece of advice to fix my floppy drive or should I move on!!!

In a bit

Woops said:

Quote Originally Posted by cellardoor
    Come on guys, talk about stating the obvious...the fact that I am internet conversant at least shows I know the first thing about PC's.

Seriously though, can anyone come up with a non-patronising sensible piece of advice to fix my floppy drive or should I move on!!!

In a bit

Hmmm - Not the best way to "win friends and influence people" when you're a NEWB on a board :nono
    If you do, as you say, "know the first thing about PC's" then obviously you've tried everything so why not spend 10 and buy yourself a nice sparklie new floppy drive and try that :thumbs

danthescan said:

If it happened to your drive and your works drive then look for the common thread was it a disk you used on both and if it was, was it knackered cos it sounds like it did your drive in so spend the tenner and get a new floppy

pesty said:

for gods sake a new floppy is like 5 quid from dabs unless its something stuck in a floppy that you can remove there is very little you can do to repair them.

sniper said:

sounds like the flopy disk to me
    Cheers

Sniper

My Specs
    ---------

x-ray (i wish) :p

Violator said:

Quote Originally Posted by cellardoor

In a bit
    Being 'Internet conversant' in no way implies that you know the internal components of a PC. I don't think any of the replies were patronising in any form and were actually offering you some advice.

Of course, if indeed you are competent in PC hardware, then you may want to consider the fact that the drive is faulty. FDDs are cheap, they fail sometimes, they're not much to replace.

I'll leave it there :whistle