Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Recommended Performace Mods!

Recently bought a Honda Accord Type-R
    2.2 Litre 212 BHP i-vtec (2000/2001 model).

Thinking of maybe getting something done to it to up the BHP e.t.c can anyone recommend anything as I am new to this lark.

Currently unmodded.

Cheers.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Recommended Performace Mods!

Induction kit, sports exhaust, remapped ECU, supercharger, etc. All depends how much you want to spend. Is it not fast enough already?

Thanks
    Karma Level

If youre goin to do it you may as well get Nos. modifying as broona has mentioned is a good idea but as he said its up to you how much you want to spend.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by pangr
    If youre goin to do it you may as well get Nos. modifying as broona has mentioned is a good idea but as he said its up to you how much you want to spend.

get Nos ??? What do you mean.. I am probably being really thick. But as I said before I am a noob the Garying a car.

It already has a pretty large twin exhaust as standard so would there be any point changing the exhaust ???
    Always been sceptical about induction kits as my limited understanding of them makes me think it couldnt possible increase the BHP but would just make your car sound better.

Ta for advice.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The induction kit I have is enclosed and takes air from a scoop at the front of the grill, this means air will flow easier and it will therefore not be heated by the rest of the engine. This gave me about 7bhp increase and i definately noticed an increase in performance. It also sounds nicer higher up the revs

BM

Thanks
    Karma Level

Definately liking the sound of getting a supercharger for it.... any recommended sites with info on these would be appreciated.

Someone flogging instruction on Ebay for how to DIY one but don't know enough mechanics to attempt that me thinks.....

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by macmilm
    get Nos ??? What do you mean.. I am probably being really thick. But as I said before I am a noob the Garying a car.

It already has a pretty large twin exhaust as standard so would there be any point changing the exhaust ???
    Always been sceptical about induction kits as my limited understanding of them makes me think it couldnt possible increase the BHP but would just make your car sound better.

Ta for advice.

Nos or Nitrous oxide is a tank of gas that is fed into your engine. This make your engine burn fuel more efficiently and can gain you an extra 50 to 150Bhp maybe more.
    There are two common types - dry Nos and Wet Nos, Wet being better but more expensive. Dry is injected into your air line allowing better combustion but wet makes your fuel burn easier, hotter and more combustable this is fed directly into your fuel line. If you've got the cash it can cost in the region of £900 and just under a fiver for a litre of gas.

Dont bother changing your twin exhaust. Sound big enough. And yes, by
    having a larger air flow through the exhaust gives you better performance between 5 to 20 Bhp. Same for the induction kit. make sure you are gettin outside air into that induction kit otherwise your motor will run shite.
    Try removing the pipe through outside air and only allow the engine to breath its own heat under the bonnet, you will definitely feel the difference in acceleration. it is much more sluggish.

My 1.6e coupe megane now has the edge over a 2.0 litre version. I raced one on the motorway. He had to give me thumbs up after looking at my 1.6 badge - a bit embarrased i think. Ive only got an induction kit and a 3.5 inch big bore exhaust!!! :thumbs :tongue
    Last edited by pangr; 30th January 2004 at 02:21 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Oh... one more thing, try watching the film 'The Fast and the Furious' It may give you ideas about kitting you motor up with Nos and make you understand.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Oh... the Ebay 'Gain 5 to 20 BHP' - dont buy it. These people are selling a resistor to attach to you air monitoring line to fool your ECU for around a fiver or so. the resistor costs less the 10 pence and is a 4k7 in value. you can pick one up in Maplins.
    The resistor mod does work slightly but it will make your engine idle between 1000 to 1500 rpm. It gives you faster response to accelerate only because its like you havin your foot on the accelerator ready to go. Whilst your on the move, it's as if your choke is on hence more fuel into your engiine causing you to feel that your motor moves quicker on the touch of your accelerator.
    Its basically a fuel guzzeller.

Sorry m8... lots to read.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by pangr
    Oh... the Ebay 'Gain 5 to 20 BHP' - dont buy it. These people are selling a resistor to attach to you air monitoring line to fool your ECU for around a fiver or so. the resistor costs less the 10 pence and is a 4k7 in value. you can pick one up in Maplins.
    The resistor mod does work slightly but it will make your engine idle between 1000 to 1500 rpm. It gives you faster response to accelerate only because its like you havin your foot on the accelerator ready to go. Whilst your on the move, it's as if your choke is on hence more fuel into your engiine causing you to feel that your motor moves quicker on the touch of your accelerator.
    Its basically a fuel guzzeller.

Sorry m8... lots to read.
    Thanks for all the advice Pangr.... Yeah watched the film and know a bit about Nitrose Oxide... just dint know Nos was its abbr.
    So far I really like the sound of a super charger but looking around these are not too common in the UK yet and cost a bloody fortune.. will reaserch these more first to see if there is an affordable one as I seriously don't mind spending a good few hundered for good results.

Cheers again.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Nos is just one manufacturer of nitrous oxide systems, there are more companies like Nitrous Express (NX), Zex i think is one aswell

Thanks
    Karma Level

Nitrous kit is def the best bhp per pound option..

All depends how much you wanna spend. You could try the filter/exhaust/chip option, but that'd prob only gain a few bhp at high revs.

Throttle bodies/ecu should free upto 20 bhp, but that'll cost over 1k.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Doesent NOZ mess your engine up? As its pushing it to burn fuel faster than designed for?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by jackroo
    Doesent NOZ mess your engine up? As its pushing it to burn fuel faster than designed for?
    Can do. If you are not on full trottle and you inject Nos, the heat created during combustion can burn up your engine. Usually when fitted the installer places a switch at the bottom of your accelerator to trigger the Nos when your pedal is literally to the metal. But you can get steering wheels with push buttons to trigger Nos manually. I would prefer this since my pedal is near enough always to the metal.