Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Need some help chaps

I decided to buy a new tower, cooler and psu in an attempt to make may machine a little quieter.

Anyway i transfered my mobo(asus A7V266-E)to the new case and fitted the new 300w psu.

I took out the Athlon 1700+xp from the socket and used a dob of cleaning solvent to clean it. I applied some compound, sat the heatsink/fan .....and i was ready to go.

I switched the psu on, ....the mobo light came on. when i fired up, the case power L E D flashed and imediately went off. The machine made no attempt to post.

After re-connecting back to my old psu and case the machine still didnt post/no system beeps. Although the board LED stays on, the psu runs and so does the cpu fan

I was hoping that i`d miss pinned a plug or wire. But, thats relatively quite hard to do as there`s not much to it.

Whats the likelyhood that Ive damaged the board or cpu ?....is there anything else I can try ?

cheers

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Need some help chaps

Strip the pc down to bare essentials, Board, CPU, VGA card, Mamory and Power supply.

remove IDE, Floppy and other cards USB connctors and all but the speaker connector start it by shorting the 2 pins for the switch. see if it works then.

If it doesnt remove the memory and VGA card one at a time and see if you get any beeps. constant beeps is a memory fault which you should get when you remove the memory. a vga fault is indicated with a normal beep and 3 quick beeps after which you should get when you remove the VGA card.

If you get no beeps check there are no bent pins on yor cpu and that there are no studs under your motherboard that are not needed. if all that is ok borrow a mates cpu and try that in your board if it dont work then buy a new board.

remember not to do anything inside a pc wearing a football shirt and on nylon carpet and always earth yourself before touching anything.

Thanks
    Karma Level

yeah that could be loads of things

in addition to the above, you may get other beeps, look up motherboard manual for key

is every single thing firmly connected? especially motherboard power connector and make sure proc is perfect

Thanks
    Karma Level

thanks for the replys chaps....still no neeps though,

The board just aint holding a current ....all i get is a slight movement from the cpu fan....psu fan dosent start.

I`ve done short/static tests to no avail..not got any spares right now either.

My other psu ran though and so did the cpu fan ?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Im not trying to be funny when i say this( im not saying your not capable of building your own PC) but have you put the gold posts under the Mobo :nowords:

I own a pc shop and many people who build there own PC's have just screwed the mobo straight to the back plate in the PC case :whistle

Just tryin to give you some ideas

Also check there are no mounting posts in wrong position underneath board as this is a common prob too

Thanks
    Karma Level

No offence taken mate. Mounting posts where used.

Anyway, I noticed a nasty mark on the motherboard coming from the cpu xocket. Hence, I`ll be buying another board later. Hopefully nothing else has been damaged !

Thanks
    Karma Level

Is the power switch on the front of your new case locked in? This would cause it to try to start and instantly shut down again. Remove the link from the switch on your motherboard and momentarily short the pins on the motherboard with the tip of a fine screwdriver to see if it fires up then.

Sometimes, just sometimes, its the very simple things that are wrong.

Q-Buster

Thanks
    Karma Level

lol when i built my first pc(well first i had built, not owned in general) i had a m8 round alledgedly helping me and we were sitting opposite each other, with me reading out instructions of where the on/off and hd light cables and stuff should go, as in "third down from my left" etc. and i think i was holding the manual upside down aswell which didnt help.

long story short, pc did **** all when you pressed the button. when one person (it was me if i remember rightly) put the pins in himself it all worked fine

just to make the point that it could have been that, everyone makes mistakes like those then doesnt think about it later

check all the simple stuff, is the power cable plugged in (lol) has it fused? is cpu fan and cpu on right (lol i once put mine on backwards, the fan that is, it was easier to get the screwdriver in - regretted it when cpu was running about 95degC )

just check every possible thing you can think of

Thanks
    Karma Level

Everything had been checked ..the mobo was knackered !!

I Brought a new board this morning, and after serious testing i`d been kicked in the nads some more !

The cpu seems fine and runs at around 40 c ..but i had more casualties. Firsty and by far the worst was that my 60 gig hard drive with tons of data on also went up the spout !!! It just clicks and bleeps now !!

Could`nt believe it, and to top things off ...so had my Plex writer, complete power failiure !!!. The company who sold me the psu said they were`nt responsable and told me to contact the respective manufacturers !!!........load of bollox !!!

Whats the odds guys that while building a machine with no power cord attached to it
    takes out most of the Hardware from the result of a faulty psu ???

Thanks
    Karma Level

The cpu seems fine and runs at around 40 c ..but i had more casualties. Firsty and by far the worst was that my 60 gig hard drive with tons of data on also went up the spout !!! It just clicks and bleeps now !!
    i feel your pain mate, its happened to me to