Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Visa and Mastercard Scams

I got this e-mail which was forwarded from my sister to us, I don't know if this scam is legit or not, but I thought I'de post here for most views, if it's not true can some1 please tell me.

You may wish to know about a new scam - the following report was kindly passed on to us by a member of staff...

My husband was called on Wednesday from "VISA" and I was called on Thursday from "MasterCard". It worked like this: Person calling says, "This is Carl Patterson (any name) and I'm calling from the Security and Fraud department at VISA. My Badge number is 12460. Your card has been flagged for an unusual purchase pattern, and I'm calling to verify. Did you purchase an Anti-Telemarketing Device/ Any expensive item for £497.99 from a marketing company based in Anywhere?" When you say, "No", the caller continues with, "Then we will be issuing a credit to your account.
    This is a company we have been watching and the charges range from £297 to £497, just under the £500 purchase pattern that flags most cards. Before your next statement, the credit will be sent to (they give you your address), is that correct?"

You say, "Yes". The caller continues . . . "I will be starting a fraud investigation. If you have any questions, you should call the 0800 number listed on your card and ask for Security. You will need to refer to this Control #". They then give you a 6-digit number. "Do you need me to read it again?" Caller then says he "needs to verify you are in possession of your card (this is where the scam takes place as up until now they have requested nothing !) They ask you to turn your card over. There are 7 numbers; the first 4 are 1234 (or whatever as they have your number anyway) the next 3 are the security numbers that verify you are in possession of the card these are the numbers they are really after as these are the numbers you use to make internet purchases to prove you have the card) Read me the 3 numbers."

Then he says, "That is correct. I just needed to verify that the card has not been lost or stolen, and that you still have your card. Do you have any other questions? Don't hesitate to call back if you do."
    You actually say very little, and they never ask for or tell you the card number. But after we were called on Wednesday, we called back within 20 minutes to ask a question. Are we glad we did! The REAL VISA security department told us it was a scam and in the last 15 minutes a new purchase of £497.99 WAS put on our card.
    Long story made short. We made a real fraud report and closed the VISA card and they are reissuing us a new number. What the scam wants is the 3 digit number and that once the charge goes through, they keep Charging every few days. By the time you get your statement, you think the credit is coming, and then it's harder to actually file a fraud report.
    REMEMBER: THE REAL VISA REINFORCED THAT THEY WILL NEVER ASK FOR ANYTHING ON THE CARD (THEY ALREADY KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT US)!!!!. What makes this more remarkable is that on Thursday, I got a call from "Jason Richardson of MasterCard" with a word for word repeat of the VISA Scam. This time I didn't let him finish. I hung up.

We filed a police report (as instructed by VISA), and they said they are taking several of these reports daily and to tell friends, relatives and co-workers.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Visa and Mastercard Scams

Load of bollocks mate. Usual scare tactics.

If they are after the numbers on the rear then they must already have the numbers on the front and if they already have the numbers on the front then there are plenty of places willing to take them alone so why bother?

Thanks
    Karma Level

excellent scam... i wish i had thought of that

i would never fall for it but i know alot of people that would.. thats a real money earner for them cos it gives them so much more time

Thanks
    Karma Level

And I wouldn't have hung up on the second caller M8, I'd have strung them along, and when they asked for numbers, I'd have made some up
    Let them have a problem with their next purchase

Procode ..

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

if ne thing comes from our banks and they ask us to id ourselfs we just no cos we dont know who you are and we hang up

(17:18:34) (+Cam) i need to mount my xbox hdd in linux
    (17:19:02) (+SpikeWork) youth of today, they'll mount anything

Thanks
    Karma Level

i got done good and proper today, was down in nottingham visiting a friend and at a cashpoint after my £20 came out the cash point a bloke next to me said can he change it for his 2 x£10's and as i looked up at him he grabbed my cash and legged it, with me not knowing where i was going i lost him, was well gutted

come to think about it, do you think i could ring up my bank and tell them i lost my wallet and ive noticed £20 was withdrawn without me knowing and get the £20 back?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by dingle_666
    come to think about it, do you think i could ring up my bank and tell them i lost my wallet and ive noticed £20 was withdrawn without me knowing and get the £20 back?
    You would have to have a police report for the theft.... banks are pretty thorough when dealing with stuff like that....
    - Plan for Tomorrow - Live for today - Hail to the King Baby -

Thanks
    Karma Level

which bank was it, there might be a security camera overlooking the cash point?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Plus that will mean the thief guessed your pin first time! Otherwise the pin must have been kept in your wallet with the card (in their eyes) and since this is probs against the TOC it might invalidate a claim. What colour was the thief?

Thanks
    Karma Level

hsbc bank, it wasnt far from victoria square (where that fairground is in the middle) on the way towards the train station. the heif was white, he had glasses and a tatoo round his neck. thing is now im back home and i didnt have enough time to find a police station.
    Porthos, he didnt have my wallet it was when he seen me he wanted his two tens for my £20 and he just grabbed it and went. the bank wouldnt compensate me because it was a deal of exchanging cash, thats why i was wonderin if i could say i lost my wallet

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yea I no you didn't m8, I was saying though that to claim from your bank you would have to claim HE had made the withdrawl in which case records would show he knew your pin first hand. The only way the bank could see him knowing this is if you kept your pin with your card.

How old did he look and did he look 'hard'? I'm just wondering because sometimes you can get 14 year olds thiefing and making threats etc.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos
    Yea I no you didn't m8, I was saying though that to claim from your bank you would have to claim HE had made the withdrawl in which case records would show he knew your pin first hand. The only way the bank could see him knowing this is if you kept your pin with your card.

How old did he look and did he look 'hard'? I'm just wondering because sometimes you can get 14 year olds thiefing and making threats etc.
    he looked about late 30's early 40's had glasses, a tosh, and a tatoo round his neck.

couldnt i say he seen my type my pin over my shoulder?

Thanks
    Karma Level

no mate... The banks are only responsible for cash withdrawn AFTER you have reported the card stolen...

Other wise... it would be a major Post on "cheapskates"...

"Withdraw £250" of your own money from a cash machine and then report that you lost your card!!!

Anway, what master criminal would get your card and pin number and then just withdraw £20?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by dingle_666
    hsbc bank, it wasnt far from victoria square (where that fairground is in the middle) on the way towards the train station. the heif was white, he had glasses and a tatoo round his neck. thing is now im back home and i didnt have enough time to find a police station.
    Porthos, he didnt have my wallet it was when he seen me he wanted his two tens for my £20 and he just grabbed it and went. the bank wouldnt compensate me because it was a deal of exchanging cash, thats why i was wonderin if i could say i lost my wallet

i'd put a f@cking rope round his neck if i'd caught him, . get you and a few of your m8's to be in the area same time again as i'm sure he does the same thing as it dont seem random.. catch the tosser & get back your £20 with interest (taken in cash or beating).