Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Audigy 2/PowerDVD 5 Problem

Anyone else seen this??

I recently upgraded from a GTXP to an Audigy 2. After a bit of a battle installing the drivers from CD (it would just hang at 'installing windows drivers', I completely removed the WDM drivers and installed the latest from Creative's site, and installed the apps from the CD.

Sound works fine in games, playing mp3s and playing any movie from the HDD.

As soon as I try to play an actual DVD in PowerDVD the sound cuts out every few seconds and the picture stutters. Plays fine through RealPlayer.

I've tried reinstalling PowerDVD and the Audigy drivers a few times with no success.

This worked fine before so I'm guessing there's a conflict somewhere.

Specs:

XP1700
    Epox 8RDA3+
    Audigy 2
    Radeon 9800Pro

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Audigy 2/PowerDVD 5 Problem

Just a thought, I downloaded the new drivers for this card from the creative site,(about 15meg) but if you register your card and use the 'auto update' funtion that comes with it there seems to be a few more updates that install, a lot of which creative say are 'critical'. Maybe some of those may help....

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by soulassassin
    Just a thought, I downloaded the new drivers for this card from the creative site,(about 15meg) but if you register your card and use the 'auto update' funtion that comes with it there seems to be a few more updates that install, a lot of which creative say are 'critical'. Maybe some of those may help....
    Problem with that is that when I try to use the AutoUpdate feature it doesn't recognise the card. Prior to that I was getting 'some components corrupted'.

Doesn't seem to matter what I do I can't clean everything out properly. I found a file in the directory that wipes out all the WDM files. Windows then picks up new hardware when I reboot, which is fine. But if I try and run the normal install from the CD it hangs at 'updating windows drivers' and this then causes windows to lockup at boot. If I then use the latest driver pack, the card installs OK, but still won't autoupdate.

It's a pain, but I reckon I'm looking at a reformat here unless anyone has a suggestion otherwise. I can't see why the original drivers won't install tho' if the WDM files have been removed. I can install the Apps from the CD and not install windows drivers, then install the update driver pack, and that works, but I've still got the PowerDVD problem.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sorted. It seems that you can't select 4 speaker setup in PowerDVD without this stuttering problem. Setting to 2 Speaker with Dolby Digital enabled works just fine. I'm guessing it's to do with the fact the Audigy enables some sort of downmixing filter for DD stuff. Anyway when you enable that it sounds bloody awesome. Odd tho' :nowords:.