Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default anyone recommend a reliable POP3 email service

Basically the score with my current ISP provider is that if I want to send any mail I have to be connected to them. However, I spend quite a bit of time in Sweden as well and so have a different broadband provider (I take my laptop with me). I can't really be arsed with the chew on of having to use the web-mail service everytime I want to send a bloody email.

I did manage to find a "free" one but this was a crock as the spam filters (which I didn't even set in the first place) were rejecting legitimate emails. They have now introduced a compulsory donation to be made for users now. I don't mind paying for a good service but to be honest I have my doubts over the reliability as the servers have had quite a bit of downtime before but I just continued with it as it was free.

Anyway after having so much trouble with my email services I have decided to get a new one.

Basically, all I want is a decent and reliable email service only, so I can send and receive email regardless of how I am connected to the net and it must be POP3 so I can use it with outlook. Any help appreciated.

cheers guys !
    Last edited by 2die4; 11th February 2004 at 10:22 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: anyone recommend a reliable POP3 email service

I'm with telewest, it's reliable, never been down in the 12 months i've had! Not sure if it's available in sweden or if it works for ya tho.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Friend of mine uses runbox ( http://www.runbox.com/ ), seems to be what your after.
    Try Gentoo, the linux source distro...
    Currently Playing: Viewtifull Joe (GC), Mario Kart : Double Dash (GC), Mario & Luigi Superstars (GBA).

Thanks
    Karma Level

I use oneandone email only service. You get 3 50mb mailboxes plus 50 further forwarding addresses. Pop3 or webmail. For £8 a year I think it is. Plus domain name registration if you dont already have a domain.

Great service.

Check it out at www.oneandone.co.uk

Thanks
    Karma Level

I lied - its £7 per year not £8. You need to register a domain too though which for .co.uk works out at an extra £1.99

Thanks
    Karma Level

There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm with tridion on this one.

I've got an email account and domain with oneandone and it's great. Had it for a couple of years and never had a problem. You get pop3 and authorised smtp which is handy. Webmail access if there if you want it.

It doesn't however have any kind of spam filter, just a virus scan

www.oneandone.co.uk
    Choose Domains from the tabs, then Optional: Domain mail plus from the left menu for more info.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 2die4
    Basically the score with my current ISP provider is that if I want to send any mail I have to be connected to them.

i had the same problem. One way around that is to set up your own SMTP server (i'm using QK SMTP server at the moment) and it'll send most of your emails happily and avoid connecting to them.

But like people say another way around it is to find a cheap half decent host and just get your own domain/email/pop3 etc.

Thanks
    Karma Level

cheers for all your help guys. Have just sign up with oneandone for my own domain and email access so hopefully it will all be good from now on

Thanks
    Karma Level

you can use cjb for email - just go to cjb.net and get a forwarding account, and set the page to forward to google or something then you get anything@younick.cjb.net

it is handy cos you can sign up for spammy things under the name spam@yournick.cjb.net then just set that adress to forward to antoher folder

all the adresses land in one inbox, webmail and pop mail

i have not yet had any spam mail from it, excpet for stuff i was expecting from companies. i sign up for stuff as robert_COMANYNAME@mynick.cjb.net so i can easily find out who has been selling my addy. so far nobody has

ABCMan

an alternative would be to use the dreaded hotmail and a copy of hotmail popper which allows you to access hotmail as if it were pop3 from your home pc but as webmail on your laptop/pda or cellphone

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSheds
    you can use cjb for email - just go to cjb.net and get a forwarding account, and set the page to forward to google or something then you get anything@younick.cjb.net

it is handy cos you can sign up for spammy things under the name spam@yournick.cjb.net then just set that adress to forward to antoher folder

all the adresses land in one inbox, webmail and pop mail

i have not yet had any spam mail from it, excpet for stuff i was expecting from companies. i sign up for stuff as robert_COMANYNAME@mynick.cjb.net so i can easily find out who has been selling my addy. so far nobody has
    Yeah I do this (but with a different company) and I have to say its a really good way of finding out who is leaking your email address etc. (Also helps with viruses etc as the from address is normally forged, but you still know where it came from!)
    Try Gentoo, the linux source distro...
    Currently Playing: Viewtifull Joe (GC), Mario Kart : Double Dash (GC), Mario & Luigi Superstars (GBA).

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have registered a domain name with oneandone.co.uk £1.99 per year, then i have purchase a email plus package from the £7.00 from memory, i know have a personalised email address and can access pop3 from anywhere no problems so far so they are reliable.