Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Dallaglio handed England captaincy (plus Six Nations squad)

Dallaglio handed England captaincy
    Wed 28 January, 2004 15:42

LONDON (Reuters) - Lawrence Dallaglio has been named England captain for the world champions' opening Six Nations match against Italy next month.

The 31-year-old back-row forward took over the captaincy from Martin Johnson, who announced his international retirement last week.

Dallaglio was coach Clive Woodward's first choice as captain in 1997 and he led his country 14 times before standing down in 1999 after being the victim of a tabloid newspaper "sting".

"I was in the fortunate position of having a lot of outstanding players to consider for the captaincy role to follow in the footsteps of Martin Johnson who was always going to be such a hard act to follow, both on the pitch and in his leadership qualities," Woodward said in a statement on the English Rugby Football Union's (RFU) official website.

"Many players have proven to me that they could do the job and in my opinion Lawrence is the stand-out choice for Italy. I am really pleased for him and I am confident he will be excellent in the role."

Dallaglio was the only member of England's squad to play every minute of last year's victorious World Cup campaign and he gave an inspirational performance in the 20-17 win over hosts Australia in the final.

"I'm very pleased to accept this responsibility," Dallaglio said. "It's a huge honour and privilege and Martin has certainly set a high standard. He is a world class player and is a great loss to England but I respect his decision to retire."

Woodward named a 43-man squad for his team's Six Nations defence, which begins in Rome on February 15.

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsPackage...5&section=news
    Last edited by maverick_15; 28th January 2004 at 07:46 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Dallaglio handed England captaincy (plus Six Nations squad)

Dallaglio reclaims England captaincy

Dallaglio has won 65 caps

Lawrence Dallaglio has been named as England's new rugby union captain.

The 31-year-old Wasps number eight takes over from Martin Johnson, who has retired after leading England to World Cup success in Australia.

Dallaglio, who has won 65 caps, has been given the job on a game-by-game basis, starting with the Six Nations opener in Italy in 15 February.

"In my opinion Lawrence is the stand out choice for Italy," said England coach Sir Clive Woodward.

Dallaglio captained England 14 times before being forced to resign in May 1999 following newspaper allegations.

He gets the nod ahead of other captaincy candidates including fellow forwards Phil Vickery, Richard Hill, Neil Back and Ben Kay as well as Jonny Wilkinson and Matt Dawson.

"I was in the fortunate position of having a lot of outstanding players to consider to follow in the footsteps of Martin Johnson, who was always going to be such a hard act for any player to follow, both on the pitch and in his leadership qualities," Woodward added.

"Many players have proven to me they could do the job but in my opinion Lawrence is the stand out choice for Italy.

"I'm really pleased for him and I am confident he will be excellent in the role. As always I will be appointing the captain on a game by game basis, a philosophy I've maintained since I've been in charge."

Dallaglio admitted he is thrilled to be taking the armband again.

"I'm very pleased to accept this responsibility," he said. "It's a huge honour and privilege and Martin has certainly set a high standard.

"He is a world-class player and is a great loss to England but I respect his decision to retire.

"All teams move on and evolve and England is no exception. The priority is to get selected on form, that's paramount. I see playing well as the key to success and captaining your country is very special indeed."

Woodward has selected 29 of the 31 players used during the World Cup campaign in a 43-man squad.

Paul returns

The exceptions are the retired Johnson and Perpignan wing Dan Luger, who has been omitted by mutual consent in order to give him more time to settle in France.

"He is in no way out of the picture with England and will be seriously considered for the future," Woodward stressed.

Among those returning to the squad are Leicester prop Graham Rowntree and Gloucester's Henry Paul, while the uncapped Chris Jones and Matt Stevens are included.

Five players named - Stuart Abbott, Mike Tindall, Charlie Hodgson, Lewis Moody and Julian White - will definitely miss the Italy match due to injury

Jonny Wilkinson and Mike Catt, also currently sidelined, will be reassessed next week, while Sale Sharks hooker Andy Titterrell is suspended and unavailable for opening matches.

England training squad for RBS Six Nations:

Backs: I Balshaw (Bath), B Cohen (Northampton), J Lewsey (Wasps), J Robinson (Sale), J Simpson-Daniel (Gloucester); S Abbott (Wasps), M Catt (Bath), W Greenwood (Harlequins), J Noon (Newcastle), H Paul (Gloucester), O Smith (Leicester), M Tindall (Bath); O Barkley (Bath), P Grayson (Northampton), C Hodgson (Sale), A King (Wasps), J Wilkinson (Newcastle, vice captain); K Bracken (Saracens), M Dawson (Northampton), A Gomarsall (Gloucester).

Forwards: M Regan (Leeds), A Titterrell (Sale), S Thompson (Northampton), D West (Leicester); J Leonard (Harlequins), G Rowntree (Leicester), M Stevens (Bath), P Vickery (Gloucester, vice captain), J White (Leicester), T Woodman (Gloucester), S Borthwick (Bath), D Grewcock (Bath), C Jones (Sale), B Kay (Leicester), T Palmer (Leeds), S Shaw (Wasps), N Back (Leicester), M Corry (Leicester), L Dallaglio (Wasps, captain), R Hill (Saracens), L Moody (Leicester), A Sanderson (Sale), J Worsley (Wasps).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugb...al/3437443.stm

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

good decision in my opinion as i felt the only other viable possibility was Phil Vickery but it was probably a bit too early for him.

also, am i the only other person that wonders why, particularly in light of Johnson's retirement, is Jason Leanord still playing ?! i'd have definitely expected him, more so than johno, to have retired after the RWC.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by azz_uk
    good decision in my opinion as i felt the only other viable possibility was Phil Vickery but it was probably a bit too early for him.

also, am i the only other person that wonders why, particularly in light of Johnson's retirement, is Jason Leanord still playing ?! i'd have definitely expected him, more so than johno, to have retired after the RWC.
    maybe hes hoping to get a few more sub appearances to make his record even harder to beat?