Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Organ donar consent yes? No ?

After just seeing this on skynews and proposes for new changes in the law I decided to make a poll to see what your views are.

My views are that Id donate organs too but Im just to idle to apply for a donation card and I assume lots of people also think that way.

I personally think that the law should be that all people should be donars unless they have specifically stated before dying that they dont wish to be.

Im sure lots of lives could be saved this way and hospitals freed of bed by people occupying them for long terms whilst waiting for donars.

Imagine how many people who have to go through the ordeal of dialysis on a weekly basis for years waiting to receive a kidney transplant from a donar . If these people could find donars a lot quicker then doctors and nurses who are currently being used to treat these patients could be freed up to carry out other duties and thus reduce waiting queues in hospitals.

Ok heres the original report from Sky please post your views :

CONSENT OVERHAUL CALLS

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=10 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top></TD><TD width=6></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2 height=2></TD></TR><TR><TD class=SmallBody vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD width=7></TD><TD class=SmallBody>15,000 people waiting for kidney transplant</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD width=6 height=5></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2 height=5></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <A class=LargeBody><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=* border=0 valign="top"><TBODY><TR><TD class=LargeTitle></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

A proposal to change organ donor laws could see consent being regarded as automatic unless people actively state otherwise.
    Doctors are calling for an overhaul to donation procedures, claiming the current system falls far short of meeting a growing demand.

The British Medical Association supports a move towards an opt-out system where, for adults, consent for transplantation is presumed.

There would be safeguards for people who do not wish to donate their organs or for those whose family would be seriously distressed if donation were to proceed.

The existing system sees people carrying cards if they wish to donate an organ, a so-called opt-in system.

There is an increasing need for organs for donation, with the gap between demand and supply growing all the time.

For example, at any one time 15,000 people are on kidney dialysis and need a transplant.

The average wait is one to three years, with dialysis costing £30,000 per person per year.

Surveys show that many people would be willing to be organ donors, but do not carry the requisite card.

For this reason, doctors believe the opt-in system would see more organs becoming available.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...990160,00.html
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Organ donar consent yes? No ?

totally agree, I used to always carry a donor card with me, and my views have been made perfectly clear to my g/friend and parents, so god forbid, should the worst happen to me, why not let someone else live a better life, or indeed even save their life.
    The organs are no use to anyone once they are dead.
    Last edited by jimbob2002; 13th February 2004 at 11:25 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Bloody hell thats a freak :nono

You replied to this thread before Id posted it.

WTF ?

That must be a vb3 bug as I was doing the poll the thread had already been posted ????????????

Beam me up Scotty !:nowords:
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

Thanks
    Karma Level

lol well spotted - 3 mins difference!

quite hard to say no to that without sounding like a selfish shithead

i would donate organs but i cba with the card - i think you mabye have to be 18 to get one but i really dont think i can quite be arsed looking into it.

i can't imagine that i would need any of my organs after i die

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2
    Bloody hell thats a freak :nono

You replied to this thread before Id posted it.

WTF ?

That must be a vb3 bug as I was doing the poll the thread had already been posted ????????????

Beam me up Scotty !:nowords:
    yes, there was a thread without the poll. I thought you'd posted it and forgot the poll! :|

Thanks
    Karma Level

'For this reason, doctors believe the opt-in system would see more organs becoming available.' I'm guessing they mean opt-out.

I think the current system allows for a shockingly terrible amount of waste that is costing money and ultimately lives. I spoke to a GP about this and apparently many families dither in the crucial time when the decision must be made (many organs can only last for so long after the patient dies) and several days later say actually it would have been ok. If its that big a deal to you then you will be prepared to 'opt-out', otherwise shut up and save a life.

Thanks
    Karma Level

http://www.uktransplant.org.uk/how_t...me_a_donor.htm

just found that, gonna go and see if i can get a card

4me2 if i die and someone gets my organs then you have saved their lives by "reminding" me that i need to get a card!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well i would donate. Do you know how many people you could happy from 1 human body?? Nearly every part can be reused even your eyes, imagine having the power to make two people see again! Your liver can be split into 4 peices and used in 4 different bodys, your skin and bones in burn patients, your heart to several different people. It's quite amazing what they can do these days! I say bring on the new law and let people live a normal life!

Thanks
    Karma Level

i wouldnt have a problem donating any part of my body, its not going to be of any use to me so why shouldnt someone else benefit

Thanks
    Karma Level

If you click the numbers in the poll you can see who voted what as Ive enabled it for this poll.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by easy
    Well i would donate. Do you know how many people you could happy from 1 human body?? Nearly every part can be reused even your eyes, imagine having the power to make two people see again! Your liver can be split into 4 peices and used in 4 different bodys, your skin and bones in burn patients, your heart to several different people. It's quite amazing what they can do these days! I say bring on the new law and let people live a normal life!
    Its an amazing thing eh?

Weird though, the only thing Id have a problem with is the eyes. Dont know why. Guess its one of those irrational things...
    Try Gentoo, the linux source distro...
    Currently Playing: Viewtifull Joe (GC), Mario Kart : Double Dash (GC), Mario & Luigi Superstars (GBA).

Thanks
    Karma Level

i carry the card to well i lost it but i filled in the form, as long as they stitch me up nicely after what they take im happy to donate theyll prob take my penis first

Thanks
    Karma Level

I said NO.

I would donate any of my internal organ's to my fiancee or a loved one but nobody else. With the amount of freeloader's we have coming to this country - they ain't getting a free piece of me.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooed Freak
    I said NO.

I would donate any of my internal organ's to my fiancee or a loved one but nobody else. With the amount of freeloader's we have coming to this country - they ain't getting a free piece of me.
    If this new law proposal were to become law and god forbid something happend to you, requiring you to have a transplant then you could very easily be on the receiving end of one of those freeloaders organs.:whistle

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2
    If this new law proposal were to become law and god forbid something happend to you, requiring you to have a transplant then you could very easily be on the receiving end of one of those freeloaders organs.:whistle
    By the time the organ is free and I am stood behind all the freeloaders it will be too late. I'll take my chances m8 - just my opinion.

Thanks
    Karma Level

My opinion is probably a bit too extreme for most to agree with, but I think if you take part in NHS and get free health care, then you should have no choice about your body parts going to other people when you die, it should be automatic. If people want to sponge off the NHS all their life then why the hell should they not be forced to pay it back when they die?

I would make the law that anyone over 18 who uses NHS for free, has no choice but to have organs reused when they die.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i did'nt see the article on sky but.

i tore my doner card up after i found out how crap the tests are to check if you are really dead before they harvest your organs.

i think it was a panorama or cutting edge documentry on it.

more than a few people have woken up on the table under the knife as they took kidneys etc.

if i could have an ablolute garantee that i was really dead b4 they took anything out then ok.

but as it stands at the moment here in england they do not check properly to see if you are really dead
    so no way am i letting them anywhare near me.

Thanks
    Karma Level

that link i posted earlier has a faq on it that may help you andyinlondon

it details how careful they are to not remove bits from people who are alive.

Tattooed Freak (i cba spelling your name properly ) if you are dieing from something that i have two of, like kidneys, then i am going to get one removed and put it into a tiny coffin and bury it, so that it is totally useless. then i'll laugh

Thanks
    Karma Level

My opinion is probably a bit too extreme for most to agree with, but I think if you take part in NHS and get free health care, then you should have no choice about your body parts going to other people when you die, it should be automatic.
    As far as the Ethics go officially if you die in a hospital under hospital care..technically the state owns your body and are entitled to anything they wish....thats the reason they looking at a law change as its not against any law to use your organs without your consent..in fact even if you refuse its not against the law to take them anyway
    Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived.
    -Isaac Asimov