Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Arab Big Brother show suspended

Arab Big Brother show suspended

The Arabic satellite TV channel MBC has suspended its version of the reality TV show, Big Brother.

The series, which began on 22 February, caused a public outcry in Bahrain where it was being filmed.

On Friday 1,000 people protested against the show and a group of Bahraini MPs threatened to question the information minister on the issue.

A spokeswoman for the station told BBC News Online that the show was unlikely to be put back on air.

"We don't want to be the cause of differences of opinion, so MBC decided to suspend production of the programme Big Brother from the kingdom of Bahrain," said an MBC statement.

<!--Smva-->This programme is a threat to Islam - it is entertainment for animals
    <!--Emva--><!--Smva-->Shahnaz Rabi'i <!--Emva-->
    It added that the decision had been made "so as not to expose the network to any accusations that it is offending the virtues and traditions of the Arab world".

Following Friday's demonstration, several Bahraini women's groups protested against the show outside the information ministry on Saturday.

"I have watched the show and it must be stopped," said 34-year-old teacher Shahnaz Rabi'i, who helped organise the demonstration.

"Our religion has strong values which say boys and girls should not mix together," said Ms Rabi'i.

"This programme is a threat to Islam. This is entertainment for animals."

Segregated sleeping

The Arab version of Big Brother, which has been renamed Al-Ra'is (The Boss) in Arabic, put 12 housemates - six men and six women - from around the Arab world in a purpose-built house on Amwaj Island in Bahrain.

BIG BROTHER'S GLOBAL REACH
    <!--Smva-->Europe : Netherlands, UK, Belgium, Spain, Denmark, Norway, France, Germany
    Americas : US and Argentina
    Asia-Pacific : Australia
    Africa : South Africa
    Middle East : Bahrain
    <!--Emva-->
    For the first time since the show's inception, men and women were barred from each other's sleeping quarters.

There was also a prayer room, a separate women's lounge and a mixed-sex communal area.

But these modifications to reflect Arabic customs did not go far enough for some protesters.

"It is normal for males and females to mix, but not to put them together in the same house for a long time," said 21-year-old student Maryam al-Sayrafi.

Dating game

The controversy over Big Brother came as another Arab reality TV show ended.

Al Hawa Sawa - which means On Air Together - paraded eight women from across the Arab world before suitors in a luxury apartment for 24 hours a day.

The men could contact the woman of their choice to propose marriage.

The show was criticised for being too liberal. It ended on Monday when one of the last two contestants said she refused to get married.

Story from BBC NEWS:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/h...st/3522897.stm
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Arab Big Brother show suspended

why were they put on air in the first place?
    islamic rules don't allow this kind of activity

"We don't do body counts"

General Tommy Franks, US Central Command

Thanks
    Karma Level

Arab big brother, sounds like a barrel of laughs.

men and women were barred from each other's sleeping quarters.

There was also a prayer room, a separate women's lounge and a mixed-sex communal area.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos
    Arab big brother, sounds like a barrel of laughs.
    lol, thats what i was thinking, i mean, what really can they do that isnt against some rule or another
    "There are two ways to slide easily through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both ways save us from thinking." - Alfred Korzybski

"Alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems" - Homer J. Simpson

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm glad it has been taken off air, I watch this channel often and recently thats all has been on there in the evenings, So now it can go back to showing films etc...

ABCMan

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2
    <!--Smva-->This programme is a threat to Islam - it is entertainment for animals

BIG BROTHER'S GLOBAL REACH
    <!--Smva-->Europe : Netherlands, UK, Belgium, Spain, Denmark, Norway, France, Germany
    Americas : US and Argentina
    Asia-Pacific : Australia
    Africa : South Africa
    Middle East : Bahrain
    <!--Emva-->

hmmmm well its at least shows what they think of us doesnt it, i'm only suprised there wasnt some tosser setting themselves on fire outside to provide that much needed oxygen of publicity (and another reason for we animals to laugh at the 15th centuary primates) :stupid