Close

Thread: -major- problem

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default -major- problem

Alright so i was playing a game, PC hangs up, i reboot, turn it back on and i have crazy colors on teh memory count screen. I manage to get into windows this time and i have mad colors all over the place....yellow lines running through the screen and such, but the thing is, i thought it might be drivers, but i am running on my regular 1024 settings. I opened up my case, figuring i might have yanked the card out of place with the monitor cable, but it was all fine. the only thing i noticed when i turned my PC on was that the Geforce 5600 i have in....it's fan was not moving whatsoever, and its still not.....

I have absolutley no idea what is going on here....the lines are starting to miff me guys....help!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: -major- problem

Also noting something strange, when i install the latest drivers for the card....and reboot, when its going to boot up windows..after the XP loading screen, the monitor turns off. Now, if i "use last config that worked" i get in fine, but i have all these crazy lines on my screen. Also i notied something....apparently i have 2 monitors which are both running on 8 bit graphics, which is bull because i am clearly on a higher res and color setting.

Another thing....when i hit del in boot up, the bios screen is fine....this is teh case with most of the booting up apart from the mem count, which is al mis-alingned and such.

- Should a 5600 Nvidia have the fan running all the time? or only when it needs it?

Thanks
    Karma Level

The fan should definatley run all the time. Sounds as though you could have a dodgy card. The reason it's locking up in games is because the GPU is automatically shutting down to stop itself frying. I suggest you take a look at the fan, check the connection to the Graphics Card. If no luck try and take it back and get a replacement etc.

EDIT: The card would not have a fan on if it didn't need it, lay off the card for the time being or use another one if you have one lying about or you're going to have continued problems with it.
    Last edited by Leeum; 9th April 2004 at 10:51 AM.
    :thumbs

Thanks
    Karma Level

lol.. the fan wasnt moving and u couldnt work out what the problem was? thats slightly worrying in itself.

id say yer fans given out and yer card is either already norked or on its way to being norked... if its still under warrenty take it back and ask for a new one. if it isnt, get yer wallet out.

Thanks
    Karma Level

deffo sounds like the fan is out for a long lunch

mabye you can just get a new fan? its amazing what wierd sizes of stuff you can find on the net and if you check the spec off the fan you should be able to find same specs - voltage and power(or current) are critical things to look for cos you cant really botch them without going to great lenths but physical size is hardly a problem since you can just get the old duct tape out (not recomended)

the card is hardly likely to be reliable after this tho - using it without a fan is likely to reduce its liftime a wee bit
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

Thanks
    Karma Level

Changing the fan is definatlety an option. Vantec have just released one for the GeForce FX series, would fit your card. I might get one for my 5200 along with some RAM sinks. http://www.overclock.co.uk/customer/...52&cat=&page=1
    :thumbs

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by marcode
    lol.. the fan wasnt moving and u couldnt work out what the problem was? thats slightly worrying in itself.

id say yer fans given out and yer card is either already norked or on its way to being norked... if its still under warrenty take it back and ask for a new one. if it isnt, get yer wallet out.
    Dude, settle down, I dont know everything about a brand new graphics card i just got....SORRY

Anyway, the problem turned out to be the GPU had already friend BEFORE the fan went out, so the fan stopped anyway. Sending it back soon

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Spamdicoot
    Dude, settle down, I dont know everything about a brand new graphics card i just got....SORRY
    settle down? u wot? that was a totally chilled post.. there was nothing in it for u to be getting upset about.. if thats what u think is an unsettled post, u aint gonna last long on here lol .. relax m8.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Heh, sorry m8 i was well pissed, i'm back on a GeForce 2 for hte time being, and after playing far cry, its kinda like playing on a mega drive again :coffee: