Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default BitTorrent+RSS=Tivo?

just noticed a few sites i use for torrents regularly have recently started adding RSS feed links on their pages.

this has quite a few possible uses in terms of bit torrents... ive seen discussions in a couple of places concerning ppl designing software that will read the rss feeds and based on your tv programme preferences, will download the torrents and open them either with an integrated client or with some other client.. or maybe this function will be built into new clients in the future, who knows. there are afaik at least one client that does support rss atm, but its nothing special.. only reading the feeds atm i think.. no setting of preferences for automatically downloading your preferred stuff... but its in the works..

this would be a great idea.. as it is you have to wait about or check for new tv episode/movie/music/whatever torrents to come out on yer own.. but if it were possible to just set your preferences or certain things that u were on the look out for and have a program constantly doing the rounds for you to check if they had been released would be a fantastic idea.. like a multimedia tivo.

anyway.. only been playing with the rss feeds for a few hours using a tiny free program called feedreader and a couple of tv episode sites, and was looking about for suprnova feeds, cos as it stands i dont think suprnova directly provide their own feeds.. atm feedreader only brings up a little window above yer task bar informing you of the new releases [rss also covers shit like news reports and a massive range of things etc but im only using it for torrents atm]

heres the ones im currently using:

http://66.199.180.26/~tvt/tvt.xml
    http://www.torrents.co.uk/backend.php
    http://varchars.com/rss/ <--- full list of suprnova feeds and more..

http://syndic8.com/ <--- LOADS of feeds on anything and everything, not specifically torrents.

anyone else know of any good feeds or any more info about this? its only something ive started looking into but i think its the future for torrents.. seems like a great way to go. the internet is your tivo, heh.

anyway.. was bored and thot id post something about this to see what ur guys thots on it are, if u think it has any future or wether im talking out my arse..... discuss.

oh and if u dont have a ****ing clue what RSS is, look here: http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/12/18/dive-into-xml.html

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: BitTorrent+RSS=Tivo?

You lazy *******!

Actually it sounds great, if it could be set up to grab enough to keep my bandwidth constantly maxed even when im not here id be happy.:thumbs
    Another MadManc Login - Knob Jockey

Thanks
    Karma Level

If it becomes to easy to do all this it could start to take a hit on tv like mp3s did on music (although maybe not to the same extent).

Thanks
    Karma Level

as far as ive noticed, the only hit music has taken is that the record companies whinge about not making as much profit. i doubt very much that tv eps will ever get to the same extent as mp3s... besides.. who cares.. piracy is piracy.. no point trying to justify it.. im just talking about making it easier

Thanks
    Karma Level

thanks to a quick chat with 4me2, df has had its news feed turned on, so its rss feed is located at this address:

http://www.digital-forums.com/external.php?type=rss

means **** all like that, but stick it in a news reader and its like a DF news ticker.

Thanks
    Karma Level

cool!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Feedreader doesn't auto start the torrents ? 'cos this one from http://tvt.milfclan.com/ claims to ?

You tell it which keywords to look out 4 in the torrent names and off it goes - cocking fantastic (if it works !)

Thanks for the post marcode or else I'd never of got off me lazy arse and had a play with it.
    Last edited by digidump; 15th April 2004 at 11:07 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

wow cheers for the info marcode

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by digidump
    Feedreader doesn't auto start the torrents ? 'cos this one from http://tvt.milfclan.com/ claims to ?

You tell it which keywords to look out 4 in the torrent names and off it goes - cocking fantastic (if it works !)

Thanks for the post marcode or else I'd never of got off me lazy arse and had a play with it.
    yes, thats why i said they are only in development, atm that tvt one only does the TVT rss feed (plus its pretty shit), but there are others in development... and im currently beta testing one from the guys who run torrents.co.uk, its very early in the stages of development but as it progresses i will post more info. feedreader is only an rss feed reader, doesnt do anything with torrents, cos its not designed to. all the torrent ones around atm are in development, or shite.. but.. i was just posting to start a discussion about it as i think it will be the next step for bit torrent and is very interesting.

feedreader will read ANY feed, (ie digital-forums feed) where as the torrent ones will only work with torrent feeds and limited ones at that.. but its still early days.

for the minute, im just sticking with feed reader as its the quickest way to see when new things are out, plus im using it for a few forums to be notified of new threads and posts etc.. and some news feeds... very hand.. only downside is it doesnt auto start torrents. but till the others get better, then im gonna stick with it, cos the torrent based rss readers are frankly, piss, atm lol

Thanks
    Karma Level

The tvt reader will allow the addition of other feeds eg I leech my US TV episodes from #bt on EFNET (torrents.co.uk ?) and sucessfully added their feed to the reader.

I only played with it for a bit and I can get to add any feed, I have edited the preferences so it will d/l my specified torrents, it will open my default torrent client (shadows experimental) but the bt client needs me to specify a location to save the file. I couldn't work out how to get it to automatically save although I suspect this may be an issue with the bt client and not the rss feed client. Does anybody have any suggestions as to a solution ie I am looking for a bit client that will save to a default location once I have opened the torrent without me having to click save as I do with shadows client.

I hope this works 'cos won't it be gr8 to go on holiday for a couple of weeks and come back to a pc full of downloads - the next thing I'll be after is a stable OS from Bill !

Thanks
    Karma Level

Have a look at something like Azureus, you will need a client that will stop seeding at a given point. AFAIK shadows doesnt, though I havnt checked for a while...
    Try Gentoo, the linux source distro...
    Currently Playing: Viewtifull Joe (GC), Mario Kart : Double Dash (GC), Mario & Luigi Superstars (GBA).

Thanks
    Karma Level

the tvtrss feed proggy from tvtorrents is now on version 1.2 and digidump is right, they now allow the addition of other feeds.. BUT, you can only have it monitor ONE feed at a time, so u cant add in loads of feeds and have them all monitored, only one at a time.... so i spose were going in the right direction now..

oh and digidump, you will prolly have to use another client, cos i dont think shadows allows u to pick a default download location, try something like azureus or ABC.

heres the torrent for the new version: http://66.199.180.26/~tvt/torrent.ph...32-1.2.torrent

and heres a FAQ: http://tracker1.slash0.org:6969/tvtrss/faq/