Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Pc not booting up

My computer was working fine until I went into the bios and selected the load fail safe defaults. Since I have done that when I boot up the computer does not even get into the diagnostic stage it just emits a continous beep and then shuts down. I can get it to boot up if I had insert on the keyboard but I have tried every type of combination in the bios but I still keep this long beep then shut down how can I resolve this?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Pc not booting up

Try clearing the CMOS memory. There will be a jumper on your motherboard to do this. If you don't know how to do it the instructions should be in the manual

This will clear all the BIOS settings. You may need to setup the CPU speed but that depends on what spec your machine is.

Just one thing, were you having problems to start with??? why did you load BIOS defaults.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I loaded the bios defaults through pure boredom. The cpu fan is not working which is why I think it is doing this one beep then shutting down. I tried another fan but that wasn't working either. I think I may have done something to the fan while I was messing around with the jumpers but I put them back the way they should were so I can't understand it. Is there any way to get the fan working again or have I fried something? It is a Asus motherboard.

Thanks
    Karma Level

One other thing that I did that might have a bearing is I also took the battery out of the motherboard. I am sure after I did that the cpu fan stopped working.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well if the fan isn't working it will be powering off as you said because most motherboards have a fail safe temperature so when the CPU gets to that i powers off the PC to stop you frying your CPU.

As for the Fan i can't see how switching some jumpers could effect it, presuming it connects to the M/Board on a 3 pin power connecter. Try connecting it to another fan connecter as most boards have at least 2.

If that still doesn't work buy a new heatsink and fan.

Also don't keep powering it on and off without the CPU fan working as even though it has failsafe there is a chance you could still fry the CPU. Then you will be

Let me know how you get on

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for your advice Mr_Flash, it is much appreciated. I seem to have been going round in circles so I have just put it into the local computer shop so they can have a look at it. They will probably charge me the earth but I don't know that much about computers so I will probably have to eat the cost. If it costs to much to repair at the very least they should be able to tell me exactly what is wrong and what is causing it then I might be able to make some progress on my own, I will see what they say.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I got the computer back from the shop and the bloke said the motherboard was fried. He said the motherboard, the memory and a 'chip' would need to be replaced and quoted me £140 is that a decent price? By chip did he mean the processor I forgot to ask. Is that a cheap price?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I don't know if that's a decent price or not cos i don't know what the spec of your machine is. Is it quite old??

I suspect it is quite old cos he has quoted you for a new motherboard/CPU and RAM which probably means your CPU and RAM arn't compatible with any of the latest boards.

If you find out exactly what they are going to replace your parts with i could give you a better idea of there price.

Ask them the following and post what they tell you.

Motherboard - Make and Model
    CPU (chip) - Make and Model
    Memory - Size

Thanks
    Karma Level

... and for GOD SAKE, if it's not broke, dont mess!!!

Messing around with your mobo when you dont know what you're doing is not a good idea, unless you are trying to learn, and dont mind killing things in the name of education.
    It sounds like you either simply destroyed a chip on your mobo through static (while taking battery out), which prevented power getting to the fan pins, or you damaged the fan control or actual pins on the board.
    £140 is a reasonable price for fairly low spec mobo, CPU and about 512k memory, but post the spec of the gear he's quoting and we'll etll you if its a rip or not.
    "There's nothing worse than arguing with someone who knows what they're talking about...."

Thanks
    Karma Level

When you get it fixed buy an old cheapo on ebay and mess around in it. it may help you learn things and wont matter if you bust it.