Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Question Re: Need to lose weight!

Quote Originally Posted by tom7471
    This is for tam9. To be quite honest the only way you are going to lose fat from round your stomach is if you do some cardiovascular work in the form of running or cycling. You just need to lose this weight. One problem that people have is that they believe if they do lots of sit ups then they will tone up there stomach but the problem is they are just making more muscle underneath the fat which just makes it look like they are even fatter!
    Thanks mate. Low and behold this thread comes up when I stopped smoking once again (gave up 2 days ago and still going strong) and I went to the gym last night for the first time in about a month.

My work has a gym so I just go to that and last night I done 20 mins running at ~13 kpm and I done 5 mins on a skiing machine then a few mins on a rowing machine as I was knackered after that.

Is what I'm doing correct? I am trying to still lose this wee chubby belly..it's actually went down now but I wouldn't mind it a bit flatter if possible as there is a little still hanging.

As before thanks for the useful tips guys and anymore would be great.

Tam.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Need to lose weight!

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2
    this is no joke now eat speciak K cornflakes once a day to substitute a meal .

use a sugar substutute powder if you like them sweet .

I lost 14 kilos in just over 4 months that way and Ive managed to hold it off.

Ofcourse theres no point just starting to starve yourself if your not prepared to exercise your lardy arse as well.

I suppose you would have to lose weight with your dodgy knee

A low carb diets allways best mate good luck you dont want to be a fat git like wizer(mj)

We Only Need Nine men, we only need nine men.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tam9
    Thanks mate. Low and behold this thread comes up when I stopped smoking once again (gave up 2 days ago and still going strong) and I went to the gym last night for the first time in about a month.

My work has a gym so I just go to that and last night I done 20 mins running at ~13 kpm and I done 5 mins on a skiing machine then a few mins on a rowing machine as I was knackered after that.

Is what I'm doing correct? I am trying to still lose this wee chubby belly..it's actually went down now but I wouldn't mind it a bit flatter if possible as there is a little still hanging.

Tam.
    I knew you were cuddly.....Nah m8 keep doing the Cardio workouts
    and try n increase your times at every work out...as you have said above time wise add on 2 mins if possible and slowly but surely you will notice a difference remember its this part that the hardest of all..try n exercise first thing in the morning m8 or last thing at night try n also watch what you eat..people think because you train means you shold have these 6 pick ab's etc but hey if it was that easy everyone would lookthis way....stick at it but best of all try n get
    into the exercise m8 as it makes it more enjoyable and keeps you focused on your targets ect....hope that helps ...now work those handles
    Last edited by toto67; 15th December 2004 at 05:40 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

maybe it's time I run a few times a week...would this be more productive that what I do at the moment, or should I do both?
    Yes it would. Everybody has a body fat percentage level and until this goes down enough your muscle will not be visible, regardless of how well toned it is. Fat gets put all around your body when you accumulate it and likewise comes off all around your body when you get rid of it. CV burns it off and so will allow for you to see your stomach. The idea that you can 'spot reduce' (reduce fat from the stomach alone, for example) is a myth, the only way it can be done is with lipo suction. Incidentally from what I hear losing your belly the hard way through CV leaves a much better and more natural looking mid-section than lipo.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by shangrula
    is this why a beer belly looks worse when you've been working out on it then? I found that nearly no exercise i've done will seem to give me a flatter stomach...it's natural postion is out like a fatty, but i'm not even that fat anymore it feels like the muscle goes outwards too. Maybe it's something that will go away in time but at the moment the only way I can get a flat stomach is to hold it in . I've been doing exercies to try to get rid of it for well over a year. I do stretches, situps, squats, press ups & other random little moves...

maybe it's time I run a few times a week...would this be more productive that what I do at the moment, or should I do both?

sorry for all the questions!
    Agood diet also helps to keep the fat at bay to m8,think about it you could train your ab's all day and themn eat a lot of crap and would you expect to see a difference:nono
    Exercise helps but a good balanced diet is also crucial..keep at the workout which you are doing but throw in some cardio work too ie running cycling on stationery bike try n exercise like I said to Tam first thing in the morning and last thing at night good fat burning times..increase your cardio a bit at a time gets you more fitter into the bargain too...but its a combanation of things m8that helps not just exercise's as I have said above...but Rome wasnt built in a day..so keep at it..

Thanks
    Karma Level

Info Re: Need to lose weight!

"is this why a beer belly looks worse when you've been working out on it then? I found that nearly no exercise i've done will seem to give me a flatter stomach...it's natural postion is out like a fatty, but i'm not even that fat anymore it feels like the muscle goes outwards too. Maybe it's something that will go away in time but at the moment the only way I can get a flat stomach is to hold it in . I've been doing exercies to try to get rid of it for well over a year. I do stretches, situps, squats, press ups & other random little moves...

sorry for all the questions!"

Questions are good pal. Yeah Many people get it wrong when doing sit ups. What people should do is lose the weight then do sit ups. One of my friends has a "six pack" but the only reason he has this is because he is so skinny. He is 6 foot tall and weighs under 10 stone! This boy can only do about 10 proper sit ups before he is knackered Whereas I know another person who can do 150 proper sit ups and he has no six pack just because the amount of fat surrounding the muscle that he has built. If he were to take part in physical activity and just sort his diet out a little he would have an amazing six pack. As you have said above you do sit ups (dont do them no harm will come). Also you have said you do squats and press ups. Both of these have no relevance to your abdominals at all so doing these wont effect an eventual six pack but will improve upper and lower body strength. So doing cardiovascular work (i.e. running, cycling or swimming ect) about three times a week would be soo much more beneficial to getting a six pack. I garantee you already have the muscle for a six pack you just need to show this off by losing the excess fat around the abdominal area. So give the exercises you are doing a rest and concentrate on cardiovascular work 3 times a week and eventually with a reasonably good diet you will achieve a six pack. After the fat has been lost from the area you can start doing sit ups again and the six pack will increasingly get better and better.
    Hope this helps
    Tom

Thanks
    Karma Level

Info Re: Need to lose weight!

Quote Originally Posted by toto67
    I knew you were cuddly.....Nah m8 keep doing the Cardio workouts
    and try n increase your times at every work out...as you have said above time wise add on 2 mins if possible and slowly but surely you will notice a difference remember its this part that the hardest of all..try n exercise first thing in the morning m8 or last thing at night try n also watch what you eat..people think because you train means you shold have these 6 pick ab's etc but hey if it was that easy everyone would lookthis way....stick at it but best of all try n get
    into the exercise m8 as it makes it more enjoyable and keeps you focused on your targets ect....hope that helps ...now work those handles
    Cant agree more with this satetement you do what this says and a flatter stomach will be coming your way.
    Good luck tam
    Tom

Thanks
    Karma Level

good stuff mate, I think i'll go running 3 times at week...or at least try

have some lovely karma too.

(will report back in a month or two & probably cry about running a lot )

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tam9

Tam.
    spot on, keep to the cardio, as long as you don't eat cr*p, i dont mean starve yerself, just eat well!

if you stick to treadmills (running), then you will find that helps tone your stomache aswell as drop the weight, along with it helping you lose those awfull love handles you can't really go far wrong with running in regards to weight loss!!

add to that the skiing machine you are using, the weight should come off at a decent rate, as long as you keep up with it (which you seem to want to do as you work with a gym nearby)!

btw a big WELL DONE for wuitting smoking, have mates that are in a bad state from smoking and I gave up not so long ago, it's hard so i think anyone else who gives up deserves credit for it, as I found it extremely hard to do!

keep up the good work, and keep going with quitting smoking :thumbs :thumbs

Moses

Thanks
    Karma Level

all the advice sounds great just what i need.

i really do need to get down to the gym more often and concentrate on cardio rather than weights and sit ups. also i think i need to cut out some of the carbs in my diet as i think i eat way too much of it. im not exactly that big in size (5.3 and 11st, put on way too much weight recently lol) but have a lot of wobbly flab that needs to go ie on my stomach.

does this sound about right? (probably have my festive cheer before i start it all though hehe )

also with these metabolism speeding tablet how effective are they and if i stop taking them will i just put a lot of the weight back on again?

thanks

Thanks
    Karma Level

USN - PhedraCut are good tablets for that, i swear by them as i used them before when i found it hard to lose the old lovehandles lol

Once you are off them, the only real thing that will make you put weight on is if you eat more lol, as long as you eat well, no they won't same story with eating in general to be honest!

Yes what you said is right, to lose flab go to the gym and do cardio stuff. Only really do situps for toning the gut and weights for bulking/strengthbuilding, so if you want to lose weight, situps and weights aren't "essential"

Moses

Thanks
    Karma Level

Question Re: Need to lose weight!

Well, i'm in work again and that's another 60 min session at the gym (around 45 actually in the gym )

I've mostly been doing CV and it's actually starting to put me at ease and less muscle strain now. I done 14 mins at 7mph, I don't know if that is any good or not but I could have done a minute or two longer but I didn't want to push it. And then I went onto the climbing machine for 6 mins on hill mode after a cup of water and a couple of mins break. After the climbing machine I went to do somedumb bells, god they are hard after pushing yourself pretty hard and even harder when you're like me with hardly any muscles hehe.

Well, if I may pester you guys again as the more I workout (5 times in total since the 20th) I begin to wonder more. So here comes a few questions:

In what time scale would I be looking at to see some flab/fitness improving to a rate in which I can 'see' it?

Is there a place that will teach me what is good food and what is bad food as I have generally bad overviews on food being it unhealthy and it looks healthy - so if there is any decent guides that I can roughly stick by I would be grateful if one of you showed me.

Another question, and this is more directed to moses; what are these PhedraCut tablets as the only weight I really need to lose is around my stomach as I am 70kilo's exactly (11st) and I am 6,2/6,3. So any dramatic weight loss wouldn't be too good IMO.

Well if even one of my above questions get answered I will be a happy bunny

And after that I might get curious again lol...

Thanks In Advance again guys,

Tam.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help Re: Need to lose weight!

Up we go and a little further development.

I gave up the training a while ago and only go to the gym about 5 times a month and do a spot of running. But I am very active outside the gym.

My weight has improved, I'm at 11.5 stone at the moment but my wee stomach is the same, podgey around the outside. As I have more spare time these days and more determination I can go to the work gym for atleast 1h10 mins with a 60 min workout time.

I've re-read this thread and took in some good advise as to do all the CV stuff and make sure I can burn all the fat away before building on the muscles, I'm not looking for a get -fit-quick scheme but I am looking for the best way to achieve it in a reasonable amount of time without hurting myself in the process. What ideas would you give to do this?

I'm wanting a training plan made up but I'm at odds to where to get one at the minute and was wondering if anyone could figure a small one out for me and I'd be very grateful.

Once again, my diet is pish, but better than it used to be. I'm eating a lot more grilled foods, less fast foods and more cereal etc, but on the whole shitty as to what it should be, is there a good food guide to eat that isn't too hard to stick by? My habits would be hard to overcome as I'm a very fussy eater (really really fussy).

As above guys, thanks for reading and hopefully I should receive some more sound advise.

Tam.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

the wife has asked me to reply to this, so hope it helps!

she recommends adios, they come in tablet form, also get them from asda cos they are a lot cheaper than they sell them for at boots.
    original intel macbook black 2006, macbook air 2011, PS3, XBOX360, nintendo wii, 3ds, psp, iphone 5 32gb, itouch 16gb, Vu+duo, Samsung TAB2, various laptops Ubuntu

Thanks
    Karma Level

6'7 and 23 stone

I need to get to the gym, bwhaha!
    FC United Of Manchester

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/madmoose2/ourbanner.jpg[/IMG]

LOVE United - HATE Glazer

[url]www.fc-utd.co.uk[/url]

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi

I too need to loose some weight around 1.5 stone i recon, i have managed to loose around 500 calories per day and a little excersise during my lunch break,i have also cut out fizzy drinks and fatty chips n stuff completely i have been doing this for around 2 weeks and found i have gained around 6lbs

what am i doing wrong ?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ephadrine, and a low carb/ high protein diet, with some cardio is a winner for fat/water loss. Don`t forget to drink a good couple of litres of water a day and avoid caffine rich drinks.

I`m a steroid user and gain massive amounts of water and some fat during bulk cycles and the above works wonders when wanting to cut up and see those abs again.
    Chemically enhanced

Thanks
    Karma Level

But mate you are an experienced weight trainer. That option should not be for the begginners just wanting to lose some fat a week and a half before their holidays.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have recently lost weight. These factors all played a big part in my weight loss.

Changing from white to brown bread.
    Having cereal for breakfast.
    brown sandwich for lunch and a piece of fruit or 2.
    One meal for dinner (not junk food)
    exercising for at least 25 minutes 3 times a week (cardio)
    Not snacking - especially after 8-9pm

Within 6 weeks I had lost nearly 2 stone

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm trying to lose a little bit of weight. I do Capoeira between 1 and 3 times a week which burns a lot of calories but it hasn't made that much difference.
    However i normally skip out breakfast as i'm never up in time to eat it. Would eating breakfast actually help to lose wieght or would not eating anything do more?
    I'm 5'11" and weigh 11 stone 10 but have a bit of a belly which is currently hiding my six pack (which i know is there having done Capoeira for 6 months) and i'd also like to weigh a bit less to make Capoeira easier.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast