Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Newbie New training Regime

:hail To all Guru's

I recently purchased the Gold's Gym 100KG Olympic Barbell set to use with my Bench. I started off just getting used to it with 40kg and I'm now upto 60kg. I have also been going running around 4 times a week for a duration of around 25 minutes (4 miles)

My diet used to be pretty bad - lots of junk food etc... (I was young and nieve). Now my diet consists of:

cereal for breakfast
    1-2 Brown roll's + bannana or apple for lunch
    evening meal - usually something like fish with new potats and veg. Or spag bol , lasagne, etc... nothing too un-healthy. certainly no junk food (ocasional pizza as a treat)

My stats are:
    Weight: 11 Stone 3.
    Height: 6 foot (Roughly) maybe 6 foot 1 inch.
    Body Fat%: Around 10-11% (according to my elec scales) - have a lil bit of a belly on the lower abs to shift.

Nov '05 I was weighing around 12 stone 13 - I now weigh 11 Stone 3. I have found it quite easy to lose this weight, but I still have some "flab" to shift around my belly. I also was doing a lot of press-ups / sit-ups before my weights arrived to make sure I had a good foundation to work from. My chest area is becoming quite defined now - but the belly is just hanging around still - I know this is common for a lot of people, but any advice would be great.

My Regime is:
    Monday :- 25min cardio, Legs, Abs
    Tuesday:- REST
    wednesday:- 25mins cardio, Chest, triceps, Shoulders
    Thursday:- REST
    Firday:- 25min Cardio, Back, Biceps
    Saturday:- 25min Cardio, Abs
    Sunday:- REST

The reason I'm only doing small amounts on my legs is because they are bigger than my upper body at the moment as I play a lot of football.

Each Excersise - I'll try and do at least 2 on each:
    Chest:- Incline Bench, Regular Bench, Different forms of press-ups.
    Triceps:- Dumbell Extensions, Kickback's
    Legs:- Squats
    Shoulders:- Millitary Press, Shoulder press, Lateral Raises.
    Back:- Bent Over Rows, Deadlift
    Biceps:- Barbell Curl, Dumbell curls + Concentration curls

I have also started taking Cyclone. I want to take 2 shakes on training days and 1 on my REST day. Is this a good diea or shall I stick to the reccomended 2 a day?? - I don't want to over-do it.

Thanks for reading,
    Any help appreciated!!
    Thanks,
    Mike

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: New training Regime

Do you have a spot when benching, or have you got a metal thing (cant remember the name) that acts as a spot ?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Erad
    Do you have a spot when benching, or have you got a metal thing (cant remember the name) that acts as a spot ?
    I will have a spot when I do bench. I am only starting this routine today, but on wednesday a spot will be coming over to help me out. I had my girlfriend spotting me when I was just getting used to the weight.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Add stiff leg deads on a monday.

If you do the cardio before the weights don't, do it after.

what are your goals?

Thanks
    Karma Level

I did the cardio after the weights today as that's what was reccomended by someone else.

Super_Mike: What are stiff leg deads? Only thing I can think of is bent over rows???

I also added 2 excersises to monday. Calf raises and lunges holding 15k in each hand.

My goals are basically to lose the remaining bit of fat around my gut - and also to gain a bit of muscle and strength and to get pretty toned. I don't want to be massive. I play football so basically want to be fit, strong and toned as hell, aswell as have a bit of bulk.

Any1 here use Cyclone??? I was thinking of doing 2 shakes on training days and 1 on my Rest day - is this a bad idea??? I had 2 today - I will just be having the one tomorrow - with milk to promote slow release.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I would reccomend getting some whey protein to supplement aswell as the cyclone. With this you can add it to food, make meal replacements, and get just a decent protein intake when needed eg. 1st thing in the morning.

stiff leg deads here ----> http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...gDeadlift.html
    the difference between what is shown and stiff legged versions is that your legs aren't locked out in stiff leg as this places a lot of stress on the lower back, so to get rid of this risk you should have a slight bend in the knee. it is an effective excersise but i would reccomend starting light and getting use to the movement.

If you are unsure about or want to have a bit of variation for excersises on a bodypart then check out this site http://www.exrx.net/Lists/WtMale.html

your diet is still not good for muscle building/fat loss. you need to go for a high protein medium carbs diet. I would reccomend and this should be adapted to suit you the following diet.
    whey in water upon waking
    cereal for breakfast +a piece of fruit. maybe scrambled egg whites
    Handful of unsalted nuts and seeds
    1-2 Brown roll's + bannana or apple for lunchthis isn't enough really, a couple of chicken breasts, veg/salad and then a piece of fruit after and another serving of whey in water
    mid afternoon-a tin of tuna on toast or some mackeral strips a couple of cherry tomatoes and an apple.
    1hr-30mins pre workout-your serving of cyclone with maybe some oats in and the greenest banana you can find(not really essential but it will add some extra energy)
    post workout-second serving of cyclone mixed with whey (1 scoop whey+1 scoop cyclone)
    evening meal - usually something like fish with new potats and veg. Or spag bol , lasagne, etc... nothing too un-healthy. certainly no junk food (ocasional pizza as a treat) aim for a high protein dinner with veg, what you have looks reasonable.
    Before bed a slow releasing protein source should be eaten, like cottage cheese or quark

It will take a while to get used to but it will be worth it.
    good luck and have fun mate

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks for the info mate. I have tried looking at my diet to minimise the carb intake. My diet today will consist of:

Scrambled eggs + bacon for breakfast. For lunch I will be having 1 roll instead of 2, with cheese, some fruit and maybe some tuna for mid-afternoon and a helping of cyclone (with milk for slow release). For dinner i will be having some chiken breast with vegatables - what could I have here also that isn't carbs that would go with chicken / veg????

Thanks
    Karma Level

On training days especially you will need to keep bringing in the carbs for energy. Don't try to cut them out completely, the diet i posted above or a variation thereof is good and will bring results.
    Chicken, veg and a few boiled potatoes or a couple slices of wholemeal bread. These are both carbs but without bringing in energy you will start to burn muscle, especially if your protein intake is not high enough. And a couple of healthy carbs from these sources will not do any harm.

I forgot to say keep the water intake high and regular.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Basically, my diet consisted of this last week:

3 Scambled eggs and bacon for breakfast

200grams Tuna, lettuce, cucumber, boiled eggs, and cheese mixed together for lunch

Chicken breast / veg for tea.

Now This was only for a week along with my Cyclone shakes. Next week I will introduce some basic carbs on training days like wholemeal bread for lunch and cereal for breakfast to give me that energy when training.

Thanks again for your advice Super_Mike. I currently don't have internet access but i'll be back online again in July to keep getting advice from you guru's. It's a learning curve, but within a few months I should have a plan that really works for me.