Close

Thread: MBM 5 Users

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default MBM 5 Users

How do i find out which temperature corresponds to which device?

I just installed it cause my PC keeps switching off - as in just dies - and the temperatures are kind of alarming; although i don't know which device is giving off the high temp outputs.
    Take a look at sensor 1 and 2, especially 2:

I think my PCs gonna explode

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: MBM 5 Users

I found my mobo on this page: http://mbm.livewiredev.com/comp/pcchips.html
    and identified what sensor corresponds to what (my mobo is PCChips M848ALU). Heres a new screenshot:

I don't have a clue what sensor chip and case sensors are - i didn't even know i had them, also, 127c seems a bit high - even with the case open my hands didn't start burning :nowords: - also, the temperatures did not seem to change with the case open, whats that about?! And how come the temperatures don't update? Even after like an hour, the temps are the same as shown in that screenshot

I have a temperature controlled CPU fan which i bought the other day:
    http://www.arctic-cooling.com/en/pro...per_silent2tc/
    that might explain the CPU temp?

I have two case fans, one temperature controlled - i didn't have pc dying problems before

My CPU is an Athlon 2100xp if that helps...
    (also, i don't get what the other infos about, are they messed up too?)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Did you install your CPU cooler yourself? Could be wrongly installed :|

Thanks
    Karma Level

Yeh i did - first time i put it on, i put on backwards so PC wouldn't even power up cause of the heat - i then took it off, applied some thermal cooling, and put it back on the right way. I think its on correctly now anyway - could it still be wrongly installed? cause i tried the wrong way - only thing left is the right way...right? Cooler can be put on two ways only right?

Also, is it true that newer motherboards just kill the power if the CPU gets too hot? If thats the case, then i think thats my problem and i'll have to go back to the athlon approved louder cooler

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well if the cooler isn't installed properly with the wright amount of Thermal grease then your CPU will deffinetly be running too hott! Are you overclocking at all?? Whats your room temperature? I highly doubt the case temperature is that.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm not overclocking or anything like that - remember, i'm the same guy who put the cooler on backwards

My room temperature is around 27c right now according to my temp readout of my digi clock.

I used a different thermal paste than the one that came with the cooler; i used this one:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=28654
    I bought it at the same time, it just seemed better - dunno, maybe it's just crap. I don't think i put too much on, i put a think layer on, and just spread that out so the small square part/dye or whatever its called is covered only - then i put a very little dollop in the middle so that when i put the cooler on, maybe the paste could get spread a little more. I didn't want to put on too little an amount - but i could have ended up putting too much as i read you need a very very thin layer only, although i don't think i put too much

Thanks
    Karma Level

You might have put too much Thermal paste on, if you've got any left (you probably do) remove what you put on with nail-varnish remover and smear a translucent layer on, it would be like it had none almost. The whole point in Thermal paste is to fill the voids in the 2 uneven surfaces so a good bond is made which will allow the heat to transfer from the chip to heatsink with alot of efficency. *Only use the nail-varnish on the heatsink tho, i dont think it would be wise to use it on the CPU.*

Thanks
    Karma Level

Nice one m8, i'll do that asap. I think i put waaaay too much thermal paste on

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Xad
    Nice one m8, i'll do that asap. I think i put waaaay too much thermal paste on
    Yeh try it and report back, *fingers crossed* hope it works!! :thumbs

Thanks
    Karma Level

I cleaned everything up, and applied the paste again, only this time i put a very thin layer on. When i started the PC, i went into the bios to check the temperatures - and it said it was around 35c - ever since i installed the cooler and what not, i've been getting 50c/60c at startup, so i think re-applying the thermal paste was a good thing - however, when my PC started up again, MBM showed the temp still at 64c I don't know why it does that, its still showing it as being the same as yestersday - on top of that, todays quite a hot day, and the temperature doesn't change - it stays at the figure that it started with 64c 127c 77c - didn't change once. Isn't MBM supposed to update figures?

Also, the voltage things, someone said my numbers were weird compared to theirs, apparently they're supposed to be similar to the figures/numbers they are under. How come theres so many? Is it corresponding to each cable that comes out of the power supply? My power supply is new too, and it too is temperature controlled - could that be the reason as to why the figures are weird?

I've had the PC on for a good few hours now, and todays a very hot day - yet the PC hasn't powered down like it was doing - i'm hoping thats a sign that it was my thermal paste appliucation that was causing the problems.

Again...is MBM not supposed to update figures? Could it be software error/motherboard design or something else thats preventing the figures/numbers changing - or are the components actually staying at the exact temperature for that long

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Xad
    I cleaned everything up, and applied the paste again, only this time i put a very thin layer on. When i started the PC, i went into the bios to check the temperatures - and it said it was around 35c - ever since i installed the cooler and what not, i've been getting 50c/60c at startup, so i think re-applying the thermal paste was a good thing - however, when my PC started up again, MBM showed the temp still at 64c I don't know why it does that, its still showing it as being the same as yestersday - on top of that, todays quite a hot day, and the temperature doesn't change - it stays at the figure that it started with 64c 127c 77c - didn't change once. Isn't MBM supposed to update figures?
    Make sure you have the most up to date version of MBM 5, here's the site.

Also, the voltage things, someone said my numbers were weird compared to theirs, apparently they're supposed to be similar to the figures/numbers they are under. How come theres so many? Is it corresponding to each cable that comes out of the power supply? My power supply is new too, and it too is temperature controlled - could that be the reason as to why the figures are weird?
    The voltage it quotes is the presice voltage that the component is receiving. Bare in mind it's not 100% accurate but more like 98%, it has tolerances so it's correct within +2% or -2% (this is all roughly, these figures are not correct just trying to explain it's not perfect)

I've had the PC on for a good few hours now, and todays a very hot day - yet the PC hasn't powered down like it was doing - i'm hoping thats a sign that it was my thermal paste appliucation that was causing the problems.
    If you can try and get a manual thermal probe off of a mate or even buy one if you can find one for a decent price, measure the tempurature for urself. If you've got a thermometer then stick it in your case, leave it for an hour or so then check what temp its giving you.

Again...is MBM not supposed to update figures? Could it be software error/motherboard design or something else thats preventing the figures/numbers changing - or are the components actually staying at the exact temperature for that long
    I would think there is an error as generally the case is cooler than the component so you couldn't have an 120oC case and a CPU running at 60oC. Were you grounded when you installed the CPU cooler? Maybe you've shorted a circuit or something, in which case you'd never find the fault really

Thanks
    Karma Level

Nope, i wasn't grounded - i don't have those wrist straps that you're supposed to use, so just handled the CPU and stuff without any precautions - i'm guessing i probably messed something up Would the shorted circuit be on the processor itself?

Anyway i downloaded the latest MBM and restarted - one thing i noticed was the temp was back up to around 53c in the bios - so i started windows xp and loaded a few videos so that the cpu hopefully does something. I loaded for video files for about 4 minutes, and the stats remained the same. Heres a screendump.
    They don't change at all.

So i switched off the PC, and changed the fan/cooler/heatsink and went back to the old one, went to the bios and see that the temps only gone down a bit too about 47c - so i put the new back on, with just a little bit of thermal as before and started the PC again. Now i'm posting this and all the stats are still the same in MBM. Do you know what temp an AMD athlon 2100xp processor is supposed to stay below?

Thanks

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well what your CPU is just now is abit hot but not bad. See the bottom right hand part of the screen dump, to the left of the time there is 2 values, one saying 40 and one saying 64. Now go to the MBM 5 site and click screenshots (on top nav bar) Look down that page and find "MBM System Icon Temp Readings". Now what i'm trying to say is I think its the program which has an error of some sort, try looking through all the settings with MBM 5, try find something to do with Refresh rate or how the information is displayed. Have you looked through the setting before? Anywayz t time

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think i'll leave it for the time being. Hope the thermal paste thing did the trick - computer hasn't powered off all of a sudden in a good few hours and my rooms very hot right now.

The temp 40 is my hard drive temp and the 64 is the CPU temp - i changed some things in the settings so that i could see the CPU temp directly as i was wanting to see whether it changed/updated. It didn't, all the stats are still exactly the same.

In the general section of settings, under "MBM 5 should work at an interval of:" its set at 10 seconds - so i'm assuming it should have updated every 10 seconds - but stats have remained the same.

Anyway, i'm going to be happy as long as the PCs power doesn't just cut off again.

Thanks for help :thumbs