Close

Thread: Ebay advice

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Ebay advice

Hey, i'm about to advertise a mountain bike over ebay, it's an impressive machine and i want to make sure i get it's full worth (about £2000) I would like advice on making an impressive auction. Like getting high detail photo's and such on the advert page. Also how would i go about estimating the price of delivery? And what method do you think i could send it by? So all help welcome...

ABCMan

Default Re: Ebay advice

1) set a decent reserve price (ie one that you would not be prepared to go below)
    2) put small detailed pics and link offsite to your high res ones
    3) only accept payments through escrow and use their own service (so you dont get conned)
    4) use a courier to deliver and contact them before posting to give them the weight so they can tell you the charges.

hope thats some help

Thanks
    Karma Level

im gonna have to disagree with you ABCMan,.

1) make the bike sounds everybit as good as it is and more. i.e really hype it up.

2) take very good pictures of it and also look for pics on the net of it. (preferably in action)

3) accept as many forms of payment as you can (u wont get conned because they MUST pay you first)

4) p+p either get a rough estimate, go and find out how much it will be.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Well heres an update: Escrow fee's are going to be £60, and shipping some where about £70-£100 But i could do with help finding a company to ship it through for a good price?? Anyone able to help their? I think i'll end up offering to accept payment through nochex, paypal and escrow :|

Thanks
    Karma Level

Don't take card payments for £2000 items...especially not Paypal.
    Trying not to kill myself...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMQH_xrFmKU

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'm sure you could get shipping for less that that mate. Have you checked all couriers?

As for ebay, I'd accept personal cheque only if I was you - if you accept paypal etc, then they are gonna fu(k you big time with fees!

Thanks
    Karma Level

3) accept as many forms of payment as you can (u wont get conned because they MUST pay you first)
    Yea but aren't there scams such as on paypal where you can pay with money you don't have and it will jst get taken back from the person they paid it to.

Thanks
    Karma Level

f*ck paypal mate...read some of the horror storys here www.paypalsucks.com

Thanks
    Karma Level

You should be able to get it couriered for around £20. I've sent bikes via citylink for the same price.
    I would accept paypal on it as not everyone has £2k to spend and doing paypal allows them to put it on their card. Yes there are high fees but its worth it in my opinion.

Most likely the buyer will do cash on collection unless you live somewhere remote like the shetland isles!

Wouldn't worry about hyping it up that much just make sure the photos show the condition its in. If someone is spending 2k on a push bike I'm sure they will be more than aware of its specs.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Javc
    Wouldn't worry about hyping it up that much just make sure the photos show the condition its in. If someone is spending 2k on a push bike I'm sure they will be more than aware of its specs.
    Thats true.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Couldn't i just say "Add 4% to the end of auction price to cover Paypal fee's"??? Or more than 4% or whatever??

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by easy
    Couldn't i just say "Add 4% to the end of auction price to cover Paypal fee's"??? Or more than 4% or whatever??
    your not allowed to do that anymore mate

Shooooooo-ryuken!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by flumperino
    Damn ok I'm thinking i'll try and push the personal cheque method!! And i'm gonna look in to the Citylink method. Cheers so far!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by flumperino
    since when, that is what i put in, if you can't say it, just say to cover online payments, also what about either bank transfer or direct deposit into your own bank account.
    G
    :kissass :cry: Hmm I wonder which 3 this is ????

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by BLUTO141
    since when, that is what i put in, if you can't say it, just say to cover online payments, also what about either bank transfer or direct deposit into your own bank account.
    G
    from the 21st/22nd of June as I recall - there was an email from ebay about a month ago, saying that you couldn't pass on fees to buyers

but...it looks like they aren't enforcing it, so maybe you'll be aight easy

EDIT - just had a look, but I've deleted the bloody e-mail...sorry
    Last edited by flumperino; 29th June 2004 at 09:05 PM.

Shooooooo-ryuken!

Thanks
    Karma Level

my bad, it was 6th June

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>***Surcharge Listing Policy Amendment***</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD class=dateTime noWrap>Date: 07/05/04 Time: 12:18:52 PM BST</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2></TD></TR><TR><TD></TD><TD>

On Sunday, 6th June, 2004, eBay.co.uk will be amending its current Surcharge Listing Policy. eBay will adopt the following surcharging policy in the interests of ensuring that all buyers receive clear and accurate pricing information when trading on eBay.co.uk.

Surcharging occurs when sellers pass the charges they incur for using eBay or third party services such as payment services onto buyers.

Surcharging slows down the completion of transactions by increasing the number of interactions between buyers and sellers, costing sellers valuable extra time and putting buyers off by making the process less transparent and more complicated. Surcharging also disqualifies the seller from eligibility for PayPal's Seller Protection Policy.

This surcharge policy applies only to items listed on eBay.co.uk. The current Policy can be found here: h**p://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/listing-surcharges.html

From 6th June 2004 the following Surcharge Listing Policy will come into force:

1. Electronic Money Services
    Sellers who accept electronic money services as a means of payment for an item purchased on eBay, may not impose a surcharge. Electronic money services include, but are not limited to, services such as PayPal, Nochex, FastPay or Moneybookers.

2. Cheques and Money Orders
    Sellers may not charge buyers an additional fee for their use of ordinary forms of payment, including acceptance of cheques and money orders.

3. eBay Fees
    Sellers may not pass onto buyers any eBay selling fees including but not limited to listing fees, listing enhancement fees and final value fees.

Exceptions to the Surcharge Policy:

1. Credit and Debit Card Payments: Surcharging is permitted where sellers accept credit or debit cards as a means of payment for an item purchased on eBay. Such sellers will have merchant accounts with a bank or credit card company.

These sellers may not pass on to the buyer a charge greater than the amount of the commission payable by the seller to the bank processing that credit or debit card payment. In other words, sellers may recoup the charges incurred as a direct consequence of accepting the credit or debit card, but no more.

Please note that under English law, sellers have a legal right to pass onto the buyer the charges incurred for a credit or debit card transaction. However, this right does not apply to electronic money services. Where a credit or debit card is used to purchase electronic money to fund a transaction made via an electronic money service such as the ones listed above, this is not a credit or debit card transaction, but an electronic money service transaction.

2. Posting and Handling: Sellers may add a reasonable posting and handling fee to the final price of their item, providing that this fee is disclosed up front in the listing. A posting and handling fee can cover only the seller's reasonable costs for mailing, packaging and handling the item. Posting and handling fees cannot be listed as a percentage of the final sale price. 3. Escrow: Sellers may pass along the costs associated with using a third party escrow service, if the buyer chooses to use an escrow service and if the costs are disclosed and agreed to in advance by the buyer. 4. Different Currencies: Sellers may choose to accept payment in a different currency than the currency listed on eBay. If the buyer chooses to take advantage of this optional payment method, the seller may pass along to the buyer any costs associated with the currency exchange, provided that the costs are disclosed and agreed to in advance by the buyer.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    but i aint got a clue how much they are enforcing it.

h**p://www2.ebay.com/aw/marketing-uk.shtml

Shooooooo-ryuken!