Close

Thread: cant see my HD

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help cant see my HD

Hi Guys can you give me some help please. i have got some components from my friend he gave me his old hard drive to boot up the system but the computer would not reconise it so i trried to install win XP but would not reconise the cd player. tried to upload win 98 but still nothing is there somthing i need to set up on the bios for the hard drive. i put in a really old 6.3 gig with 98 on it and it loaded and the other drives were seen as a slave.

plaese help me

Thanks in advance

Cunzie

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: cant see my HD

I presume from reading your post that your not too familier with PC's so i'll try and make it as simple as i can

Here's a few things to try

1. Check Hard Drive is set to master (jumpers on the back of drive, there is usually information on setting this correctly on the Drive's label)
    2. Only connect this drive to the machine on the Primary IDE cable.
    3. Boot PC and enter BIOS (DEL or F2 on some machines
    4. You should have a option for H.D.D automatic detection - Select It
    5. Hard Drive should now be shown.
    6. If not it will be hard to tell you where to set it up unless you can post the make and model of the motherboard so i can download the manual as different types of boards have the Hard Drive settings in different menu's

Let me know how you get on

Cheers

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: cant see my HD

thanks for the advice mate i have just formated the old hard drive with 98 on it and went to boot it up with the xp disk and it is saying invalid disk please replace disk and press anykey.

I know this hrd drive was working ans i know the windows xp pro disk works as it is the one i set my computer up with so i dont understand it now.

is there anything else i can try?

the motherboard is a gigabyte GA-5AX rev 4.1 the hard drive is a quantum big foot 5.1 6.4gig but i also have an IBM and a samsung which is doing the same thing.

please give me some advice as it is doing my head in.

i have set the bios up for boot sequence cd and loaded the disk but as i said it does not reconise it.

thanks in advance

Cunzie

Social Networking Bookmarks