Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Attention Parents blame video game for hammer murder

First its Grand Theft Auto, now Manhunt. Suppose this is just another excuse to file a lawsuit against Rock* Games/North.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/l...re/3934277.stm

Game blamed for hammer murder

Stefan was repeatedly battered and stabbed by his older friend
    The parents of a boy who was murdered with a claw hammer by a friend have blamed a violent video game which the teenage killer was "obsessed" with.
    Warren Leblanc, 17, repeatedly stabbed 14-year-old Stefan Pakeerah after luring him to a Leicester park to steal from him on 27 February.

He pleaded guilty to murder at Leicester Crown Court on Wednesday.

Stefan's mother described Leblanc, who confessed to police moments after the assault, as "inherently evil".

Video game 'obsession'

Stefan's mother, Giselle, a research nurse, had to leave court when the evidence in the case became too harrowing.

Following the hearing she said her son's killer had mimicked a game called Manhunt, developed by Edinburgh-based Rockstar North, in which the players score points for violent killings.

Leblanc armed himself with a claw hammer and a knife
    Manhunt was banned six months ago in New Zealand by censorship officials.

Mrs Pakeerah said: "I heard some of Warren's friends say that he was obsessed by this game.

"To quote from the website that promotes it, it calls it a psychological experience, not a game, and it encourages brutal killing.

"If he was obsessed by it, it could well be that the boundaries for him became quite hazy."

Mrs Pakeerah, 36, called for violent video games to be banned.

Covered in blood

She said: "I can't believe that this sort of material is allowed in a society where anarchy is not that far removed.

"It should not be available and it should not be available to young people."

I don't play these games but if they are influencing kids to go out and kill people then you don't want them on the shelves

Patrick Pakeerah, victim's father

Leblanc, of Braunstone Frith, Leicester, persuaded his victim to go to nearby Stoke Woods Park, known locally as The Dumps - to meet two girls.

The court heard how he armed himself with a knife and claw hammer to carry out the attack.

He confessed to the killing moments later when he was found covered in blood by two police officers.

Outside court Stefan's father, Patrick, said: "They were playing a game called Manhunt.

"The way Warren committed the murder is how the game is set out - killing people using weapons like hammers and knives.

"There is some connection between the game and what he has done."

Game ban

Echoing his former partner, the civil servant said: "I don't play these games but if they are influencing kids to go out and kill people then you don't want them on the shelves."

When police discovered Stefan, they found he had sustained horrific and fatal injuries.

Giselle Pakeerah has called for a ban on violent video games

The boy had been hit so hard with the hammer he had suffered deep cuts to his head and neck. His head had been fractured in several places.

He had multiple stab wounds, with the knife being plunged so deep that it had caused serious injuries to his kidney and liver.

A spokesman for the Entertainment and Leisure Software Publishers' Association said: "We sympathise enormously with the family and parents of Stefan Pakeerah.

"However, we reject any suggestion or association between the tragic events and the sale of the video game Manhunt.

"The game in question is classified 18 by the British Board of Film Classification and therefore should not be in the possession of a juvenile.

"Simply being in someone's possession does not and should not lead to the conclusion that a game is responsible for these tragic events."

Judge Michael Stokes QC said Leblanc had carried out "a brutal, cold-blooded murder" and could expect a life sentence.

Sentencing was adjourned for reports.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Parents blame video game for hammer murder

everytime a murder is commited by someone under 18 it seems to be movies or video games....what about the fact that some people are plain feckin evil and have no moral's.

They blame the game for the murder, but to me dont seem to blame the person with the hammer and the knife, ok it may have been carried out in a similar way to the game, but what about the lads state of mind, how could he become so obsessed witht he game that he thought it was real and then killed someone without his parents knowing!!!!!

it is unfortunate but to me all thats happened is the game gets blamed, maybe the real issues such as his mental state should be examined, at the end of the day the game may have shown him the image but it in no way physically made him do it!!
    Celtic FC 1888

Thanks
    Karma Level

Anyone with the right mental state knows the difference between fantasy (video games) and reality. 1000s of people play video games daily and are not in the slightest inclined to go out and replicate the acts they have seen in them. This kid had mental issues and it saddens me that no one realised until it was too late.

It annoys me when video games become the scapegoats, when what should be questioned it the (lack of) parenting and parental concern.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've played manhunt, grand theft etc, and i've seen all the chucky films as well, and as far as i can recall, i've never gone out and violently murdered someone !

If someone's that ****ed in the head that they are gonna go out and do something like this, they are gonna copy whatever they have seen, be it a game, a film, a book or an article in the paper. Just because they copy something, doesn't mean that what they copied it from is to blame, they were gonna do it anyway

And as the spokesman from ELSPA said - it had an 18 rating, so what was the kid doing with it anyway ?
    I am a loud man with a very large hat. This means I am in charge

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Thanks
    Karma Level

97.5% of kids murder and maim people on computers regularly these days, not that many of them go out and do it for real, someone needs to teach the media how to do maths.

I wonder if they found an Eminem CD as well, the poor lad had no chance........

Quote Originally Posted by dan288
    another season unbeaten would be amazing and winning the champs league

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I have to confess to driving dangerously fast after playing gran tourismo and considering stealing police cars after playing GTA .

I think its totally nuts to blame the game, the guy shouldn't have even had it in the first place and he must've been nuts before he even started playing it. I think them blaming the game is probably the only defence they could come up with and when you're going down for murder you use what you can to get you out of it! Also, parents will never accept that it may have been their fault and will always look for an outside source to justify it to themselves.
    Last edited by Mule; 29th July 2004 at 05:57 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

This kid was a timebomb just waiting to explode, if it had`nt been video games, it would have been something else, that triggered him off.
    Given a few years he may have become a serial killer,and ruined the lifes of countless more people..this kid was old enough to know right from wrong, so he is totally reponsable for his own actions..and the punishment that comes with it should be his and his alone to bear....

rant over
    cheers..
    aL :grr:
    "God is a comedian, playing to an audience who are too afraid to laugh...."

Thanks
    Karma Level

They've pulled it off the shelves.

TIM-MAY!!!

SouthPark

Thanks
    Karma Level

TIM-MAY!!!

SouthPark

Thanks
    Karma Level

bloody stupid , with that kind of logic all males should have thier dicks cut off because a girl got pregnant once. :nono
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I guess that the parents are looking for someone or something to blame. I guess they are trying to search for somefink to clutch onto as the reason.

Mind you the taking off the shelves is a bit much. Me thinks *damage limitation* Give it a few weeks and you'll see them coming out of the boxes under the stairs and go on sale to get the money in :whistle

Splendid and Tremendous

Thanks
    Karma Level

The CNN article tells a different story

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/europe...unt/index.html

From CNN: "Peter Joyce QC prosecuting told the court that the defendant had planned to rob his younger friend to help repay a drugs debt."
    I like how BBC news decided to conveniently ignore that fact :whistle

Thanks
    Karma Level

Manhunt is a 5hit game and I can't believe they are using it as an excuse for some delinquent's actions.

What next, ban The Sims as you can simulate people having sex and may go out and get some slapper pregnant??

Thanks
    Karma Level

All these idiots in the press will now try and put pressure on Rock* to tone down GTA:San Andreas or get it banned.

Thanks
    Karma Level

there is two ways to look at it, it could be the games fault but the ganes could also save lives by allowing angry teens a means to vent there frustration, after a hard days work i feel better after some fraging on ut2004,vice city, etc

Thanks
    Karma Level

there`s nothing new in all this, it`s been going on for ages, everytime some lunatic kills somebody in a certain way, "they must have been influenced by a book, a film or a video game". I remember when "Deathwish" came out there were copycat killings all over America ....apparently (allthough they couldn`t prove it), The "Jamie Boulger murder" was blamed on violent video games, oh yes and most rapes are caused by men looking at 'page three' :whistle . no the simple fact is an evil bast*rd will commit evil crimes no matter what he looks at.

Thanks
    Karma Level

they seem to have banned manhunt in a lot of shops and the daily mail is running a campaign against them

stupid taboloids printing crap and causing problems as usual
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

Thanks
    Karma Level

Are they going to close the internet to stop it being downloaded?

Thanks
    Karma Level

lmao Re: Parents blame video game for hammer murder

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooed Freak
    Are they going to close the internet to stop it being downloaded?
    Some twat will probably try !
    I am a loud man with a very large hat. This means I am in charge

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Wasnt the Bulger case based arounnd chucky the doll....

Regarding this wacko, the game isnt to blame, if someone has it in them to do such an act, no game, no movie will influence them to do it.. THEY WILL ANYWAY!

Remember they wanted to ban looney tunes as they thought they promoted violence...

idiocy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast