Close

Thread: Motorised Setup

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Motorised Setup

I'm considering getting a motorised satellite setup. I don't really know what I'm doing but I'm pretty sure there's enough newbie guides to teach me along the way.

My post is just really to weigh up the benefits of having that kind of set up as opposed to standard sky and also to find out a rough costing.

I note with interest kracken's signature! Is this to do with a sat setup - can you use it for high speed net connection?

Cheers guys
    Lets bring back the word Rad......

[live=Sushi%20MaC]Sushi MaC[/live]

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Info Re: Motorised Setup

Hi m8 , as u say there are plenty of guides out there covering all kinds of satellite info ( hardware and services etc ) but it really depends on what u want . The more satellites you can receive from ( by driving to with a motor ) the more tv progs you can watch ( presuming you have a large enuf dish and correct decryption device ie.CAM (conditional access module)).
    Without the CAM you will only be able to receive the free to air stuff.

have a look >>HERE<< and >>HERE<< for a list of satellites that could be available with the correct equipment .

Also theres sum usefull info >>HERE<< to check out too with a few basic pointers

I dont really use me satellite setup for viewing tv stuff just downloads (so may not be the ideal person to ask in that area but im sure others will be able to help and give sum advice )

p.s. and yes me sig is download bandwith

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Motorised Setup

Cool, cheers for the info mate. I'm pretty interested in that amazing bandwidth. How does that work? Do you still use an ISP or what?

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Tech Re: Motorised Setup

Sat setup i got is basically 1-way (down ) as the 2-way is very expensive , plus i already got adsl for uploading if req .
    You still need to have a internet connection tho , be that dialup or adsl/cable . It basically works on the principal where you "request" what you want to d/l and it gets queued up and downloaded later on . I have been with EOL ( europeonline ) >>HERE<< for quite a few years now and they seem to be going through a transit stage @ the mo where they have all there operations taken over by a firm called Broadsat >>HERE<< . Unfortunately Bradsat's prices are alot more expensive than EOL used to be :/ and as me subs run untill sumtime in December 2004 i shall be waiting till then to decide . There is a rumour tho that previous working EOL accounts will be honoured at the old prices ( varied from 99 euros to 125 euros for 12 months subs ) and if thats the case i will be renewing without hesitation .
    Once you get to know the ins and outs of it you can have 24/7 downloads @ 8Mbps+

Hope that helps

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cool! That sounds excellent mate, thanks.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Bloody hell! I've looked at the europe online site. The packages are well cheap compared to my existing broadband and the bandwidth is unbelievable. Why doesn't everyone do this? What's the catch?!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I dont get it, how do you get 8MB/sec when they only do 2mb/sec and it says this;

One year of Europe Online E-DSL Service includes :

• 500 MB of EOL FastSurf at speeds up to 512 Kbit/s every month !
    • 1 GB of downloads from the Internet every month with File Fetch, plus 1000's of free selected softwares, films, MP3's & games at 2 Mbit/s speed - Guaranteed !
    • Music television, Sport, Film, Adult, Eurotip at 512 Kbit/s speed - Unlimited Access!
    • Unlimited access to our DSL Digital Library, our Interactive MediaThek and our
      E-Lert service
    • 1 free film every month, & much more.
    I dont really understand half of that but it sounds like you get 2mb/sec donwloads but you can only download 1GB a month?!

I expect I'm just reading it wrong.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mule
    I dont get it, how do you get 8MB/sec when they only do 2mb/sec and it says this;

One year of Europe Online E-DSL Service includes :
    • 500 MB of EOL FastSurf at speeds up to 512 Kbit/s every month !
    • 1 GB of downloads from the Internet every month with File Fetch, plus 1000's of free selected softwares, films, MP3's & games at 2 Mbit/s speed - Guaranteed !
    • Music television, Sport, Film, Adult, Eurotip at 512 Kbit/s speed - Unlimited Access!
    • Unlimited access to our DSL Digital Library, our Interactive MediaThek and our
      E-Lert service
    • 1 free film every month, & much more.
    I dont really understand half of that but it sounds like you get 2mb/sec donwloads but you can only download 1GB a month?!

I expect I'm just reading it wrong.
    Yeah, this did cross my mind too but from Kracken's package he described I just took it that he had a more customised setup as opposed to the packaged deals advertised. I'm sure he'll correct me on that though.

It stands to reason though if you can stream digital tv over satellite that must be a hell of a bandwidth that's available. I've just never been aware of it being used by isp's before. I'm showing my ignorance there I suppose though - it seems a pretty obvious use in hindsight.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

First i wanna talk about FileFetch then ill go onto FastSurf

ok , what yur pci sat card is , is a 2-50Mbps network card . EOL transmits there data on a number of 2Mbps streams and has a streams for other stuff (crap movies for instance from there own archives) and what you are seeing is 4 data streams on the go at once ( see pic , explanation further down ).According to there site you have your own storage area , known as a FileZone" of approx 500 mb per month ( additional can be bought if req but not neccessary really ) and 2Mbps downloads which is all tru . The idea is that you "request" your files from anywhere you want ie ftp's , websites etc and it gets queued up to be fetched from the site in question into your FileZone by EOL . Once its actually in your FileZone you can queue it up for download to your pc at 2Mbps ( can take a few hours for it actually getting up the queue to get pushed to you but it eventually arrives ).
    Ok that may not sound to exciting but there are sum clever people groups out there and with a few appz and sum co-operation you can kinda take advantage of the situation .

From the above all we have is small FileZone ( even with addon packs ) and only 2Mbps ( 1x stream effectively ) and what we need is a HUGE FileZone and even more speed ( more streams ) . So 1 way to go about it , is to have a large "community" who agree to donate all there FileZone to the cause , ie say 500 users each has 500 Mb of space and thats quite an amount of storage space for 1 month . Now we need something to download . Part of the "community" agreement is that when you donate your FileZone you agree for it to be used as the "Pro Pushers" see fit ( "Pro Pusher" is just someone who has access to all the latest 0-day releases etc ) and they are the ones that move it to the FileZones and queue it up to d/l to your pc . Then its just a case of chekin to see what you got in the incoming folder .

As the files get sent from the queue to your pc , if the next file is ready before the last one has finished downloading it is just a case of another 2Mbps stream opening up automatically and them continuing on untill you have all 4 going at once .

Well that was the basics about FileFetch , ill just say a bit about FastSurf ....
    FastSurf is EOL's surfing via there sat isp proxy but fixed at 512kbps max but was 768kbps ( think it uses its own stream , but could be wrong ) which i spose is ok if u only ever experianced a 56k modem but its very irratic ( fluctuates wildly ) , so irratic i never use it . Sometimes even on par with a 56k modem !

Thats basically all i gotta say bout FileFetch and FastSurf .

Info for pic .......

Starting from the left you got the 4 streams 2Mbps each ( top to bottom ) , next to them you got amount of file currently downloaded / size of file , and on the right you got info about current transmission (0/0/0/0) MAX_MISSED_PACKETS_PER_BLOCK / NOT_RESTORABLE_BLOCKS / TOTAL_MISSED_PACKETS / TOTAL_MISSED_SEGMENTS

Appologies for the pic , i had to resize it

Hope that helps
    Last edited by kracken; 8th September 2004 at 12:22 AM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Cool, thanks for being so detailed mate - I get it now! Must be like Christmas every day when u check that folder to see what u got!