Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Info Cabinet Minister Quits

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=10 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top></TD><TD width=6></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2 height=2></TD></TR><TR><TD class=SmallBody vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD width=7></TD><TD class=SmallBody>End of the line for Smith</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD width=6 height=5></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2 height=5></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<A class=LargeBody><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=* border=0 valign="top"><TBODY><TR><TD class=LargeTitle>CABINET MINISTER QUITS</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Work and Pensions Secretary Andrew Smith has resigned from the Government heralding a possible Cabinet reshuffle.

In a letter to the Prime Minister, Mr Smith, 53, said he was stepping down to spend more time with his family.

He was promoted to the post two years ago from his previous role as Chief Secretary to the Treasury.

Tony Blair had tried persuade Mr Smith, a known ally of the Chancellor, to remain in post but the minister had declined.

Political experts said the resignation could herald the start of a Cabinet reshuffle.

In his resignation letter, Mr Smith said he wished to devote "more time to the responsibilities I enjoy in my constituency and to my family".

He went on: "Over the summer, I have discussed with my family the contribution I wish to make in public life.

"I am grateful to you for the opportunity to have served and for your having asked me to stay on.

"I have, though, come to this decision after careful thought and my mind is settled."

Sky News political correspondent Jon Craig said the initial reaction from MPs was that Mr Smith had "jumped before he was pushed".

Names being touted as a possible replacement include Trade and Industry Secretary Patricia Hewitt and Defence Secretary Geoff Hoon.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0...150383,00.html
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Cabinet Minister Quits

Whats the chances the News of the World has got an exclusive on his activites in the gents at Kings Cross?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie
    Whats the chances the News of the World has got an exclusive on his activites in the gents at Kings Cross?
    Take a look !
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2
    Tony Blair had tried persuade Mr Smith, a known ally of the Chancellor, to remain in post but the minister had declined.
    Sky News political correspondent Jon Craig said the initial reaction from MPs was that Mr Smith had "jumped before he was pushed".
    hmm, wonder if theres something more to this, seems like two different sides to the story