Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Question Need advice on moving to Bristol area

I'm going to move to the Bristol area for a better paid job and I just wanted to know the what the nice areas are as I've got 2 kids and don't want them growing up in a shit hole.

Doesn't have to be in the city centre, prefer the surrounding villages or commutable towns.

I don't wanna be in with a bunch of posh w-a-n-kers either.

Thanks.
    when i die i wanna be buried face down so everyone can kiss my arse ! :kissass

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Need advice on moving to Bristol area

Redlands. Nice area, not too far and a bit of a student place so loads of decent pubs and whatnot. Fishponds doesn't seem to bad and Clifton is quite nice.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by empo
    I'm going to move to the Bristol area for a better paid job and I just wanted to know the what the nice areas.
    In Bristol?... you been smoking summat?

good luck with the Move tho Dude

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by incognito™
    In Bristol?... you been smoking summat?

good luck with the Move tho Dude
    well it's better than movin back to friggin watford.

WalterPill - thanks for the advice.
    when i die i wanna be buried face down so everyone can kiss my arse ! :kissass

Thanks
    Karma Level

Fishponds is good, some very nice houses ..very little shitty houses. Clifton is the most expensive area.
    Other areas to consider are St.George,Kingswood, Hanham, Warmley, Frenchy, Stapleton, all fairly good areas...

The shit areas are Hartcliffe, St Pauls, Easton and the immediate surroundings of these areas...

It all really depends on whether you want to rent or buy, and how much your willing to spend...
    "There's nothing worse than arguing with someone who knows what they're talking about...."

Thanks
    Karma Level

Not sure i would agree on the comments regarding Fishponds, hardly a desirable area especially of late (several stabbings, numerous assaults and at least 1 murder). I worked in Fishponds for 6 years and witnessed a lot of anti-social behaviour and assaults/muggings and robberies (had my mobile phone and an IPAQ stolen from where i worked ).

Of course this may just have been the area where I worked, but personally i would not want my kids growing up in Fishponds, my experiences of some of the young kids in the area have not been good. Again though, i do not know the whole Fishponds area well, but the areas i have had a decent amount of experience of have not been good. I still work very close to Fishponds, and the surroundings do seem a lot better, it seems the further away from the 'centre' you get the less trouble you get.

I live in Warmley and have done all my life, it is a very nice area, maybe a bit further from the centre (5-6 miles) and away from the student areas/nightlife etc. I suppose it comes down to what you want from the location, personally i've never wanted to life where the 'action' is so have kept out of the central areas.

As mentioned Clifton is the 'posh' bit, im sure you can pay massive amounts for a mediocre property in the area, again personally i do not see the attraction, clifton seems very cramped with lots of very thin roads and nowhere to park! again horses for courses i suppose.

The other areas mentioned (St. George, Kingswood, Frenchay, Hanham etc,) i would agree are generally nice areas, though each does have 'better' and 'worse' areas.

Agreed that areas to avoid would be hartcliffe, st. pauls, easton, knowle west etc. , i have several friends whol have lived in these areas at various times and they have some pretty scary stories.

Good luck with wherever you choose!

Cheers

Matt

Thanks
    Karma Level

I live in Bath, outside of bristol, i would not live in bristol if i had the choice, i would stay in Bath and comute.

There are sopme nice areas, take a long weekend stay in a B&B check out the areas by driving around at different times. looking at schools, general area, people hanging around night time activity etc etc.

cheers.....q