Close

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Boy's eBay con nets £45,000

Boy's eBay con nets £45,000

eBay has safety measures in place to protect users Police have issued a warning to users of internet auction sites after a teenage fraudster conned eBay customers to fund a luxury lifestyle. The 17-year-old from Pontypool, south Wales, built up £45,000 in various bank accounts by offering goods for sale that did not exist.

He treated himself to weekends in New York, and hired stretch limousines for nights out with friends. He also bought designer clothes, expensive gadgets, and a quad bike.

Cwmbran youth court heard that, when police raided his home, they found top-of-the-range computers, hi-fi equipment, and flat-screen TVs.

Gwent Police have now issued a warning to users of internet auction sites to make sure they use make use of security measures to avoid losing their money.

They want buyers to use secure ways of paying and to follow safety advice given by the sites.

Detective Constable Steve Thomas, who led the investigation, said it was sometimes difficult to monitor security on such sites, and some people had not received property for which they had paid.

"Customers must guard against making any payment using an unsafe method like a straight bank transfer," he said. "That's literally just giving money over".

He said it was better to use other methods such as a credit card payment or the site's PayPal scheme.

Internet auctions attract millions every day
    After he was arrested, the teenager told police he had been "living the good life" with the money he had taken off unwitting customers.

He said he could not stop defrauding his victims because he was addicted to the eBay website, and it "gave him a buzz."

Magistrates heard that the boy - who cannot be named because of his age - used the proceeds of his scam to fly to New York with two friends.

They stayed at a five-star hotel overlooking Times Square and took a helicopter ride over Manhattan.

He was always dressed in expensive designer clothes and loved to buy the latest electronic gadgets.

He could not drive, so he hired stretch limos to take his friends on nights out.

But police were alerted by eBay customers who had been conned by the teenager.

He was arrested and freed on police bail while an investigation was carried out.

The court heard he had advertised mobile phones, computer consoles, cameras, and camcorders for sale - none of which had ever been in his possession.

Prosecutor Peter Moore said: "He set up three bank accounts to handle cash, which he obtained via bank transfer. But he was not content with taking people's money - he later taunted them by e-mailing them with details of how he'd spent it."

The court heard the boy duped more than 100 eBay customers over 13 months. One victim lost £2,500.

The boy admitted 21 charges of fraud amounting to £16,105 and asked for a further 64 offences - amounting to £28,860 - to be taken into consideration.

Magistrates decided they did not have enough power to deal with the boy and he will be sentenced at Newport Crown Court next month.

And no its not me ok
    I’m alive and kicking yeh baby.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Boy's eBay con nets £45,000

HOLY HELL!

45 grand???

Where have i been going wrong all these years? :|

DF Legal Advisor & Admin Legal Eagle's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Funny Re: Boy's eBay con nets £45,000

Hey

Good job he had such bad legal counsel or he may have gotten off with th charge 'Scot Free'.

I can think of some pretty good defence scenarios, which I obviously won't post on the forum......in order to protect the innocent....:whistle .

But save it to say, in my opinion, he has had bad legal advice.

So at 17 he may have thought he was clever, but he obviously isn't 'street smart'.

Regards

Legal Eagle

PS: For Sale on eBay.......Get Yourself Street Smart.....payment by wire transfer please....:thumbs
    Legal Issues ? I'm your man.

Every Visitor To My Office Makes Me Smile.....
    Some On Arriving, Some On Leaving

Appreciative Karma Always Welcome

Thanks
    Karma Level

this is small fry, I gave a statement to the police a few months back after nearly being caught for 700 quid on a mac laptop. I reported it and gave a statement along with the bank account details I was given. A month or so later I got a phone call from lancs police saying they had caught the gang and had defrauded ebayers of around 1.2 million and had NONE OF IT AT ALL left.

The reason this has not come out yet is that the trial hasnt been completed.

malty
    Facebook: http://facebook.com/maltloaf Garmin Connect: http://connect.garmin.com/profile/maltloaf_df
    Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2631290
    i5 6600k @ 4.5GHz/3060ti 8GB Oculus Quest 2
    Laptop Asus FX505GT i5 9500/1650 4GB

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I've been scammed within the last 2 weeks but its not from a sales or buy but a donation.

As you all know I run tech-tronix forums and I received a donation as normal and thought nothing of it. As usual used donation towards server fee's and paid for goods along with my own monies but..............

Paypal come back to me and said the donation was fraud but how the hell was I to know and I dont carry a crystal ball with me, but they have frozen my account, refuses ti release the funds and also reversed my last transactions that I paid for via bank transfer and kept the money, now is that a scam or what.

Its now put my forums, my customers at risk cos I sell hosting as well and no means to pay for server fee's due to Paypals asshole attitude.

Makes me sick sometimes that people get screwed when they buy goods, but now also get screwed when they receive a legit donation.

Thats life as we know it captain.

Laters

Quote Originally Posted by maltloaf
    this is small fry, I gave a statement to the police a few months back after nearly being caught for 700 quid on a mac laptop. I reported it and gave a statement along with the bank account details I was given. A month or so later I got a phone call from lancs police saying they had caught the gang and had defrauded ebayers of around 1.2 million and had NONE OF IT AT ALL left.

The reason this has not come out yet is that the trial hasnt been completed.

malty
    I’m alive and kicking yeh baby.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I know what the kid did was bad. On the other hand I find it forgiveable as he had the decency to email the various people he scammed to let them know how much he was enjoying the money.

Theres nothing like taking the total piss is there???

Thanks
    Karma Level

This is all over google! i typed in fraudster and it come up everywhere!

Theres alot of new news since the above was posted, id say good one but you got caught,

if he ripped me off then it would be different story so sorry if anyone was offended by this!

FCUK me! 45 grand! what i would do with 45 grand,

whats everyones thoughts?

Thanks
    Karma Level

13th October 2004... man was there nothing recent u felt worthy to comment on lol

yeh 45 grand nice bit o cash... think he took the right approach tho, his life style till he got busted didnt sound to bad.