Close

Thread: dog training

Thanks
    Karma Level

Question dog training

hello are there any dogowners/trainers out there.

Just got myself a black lab. its 6 months old and very placid and well behaved. He almost seems house trained!!!!! Got up this morning expecting house to be trashed but hadnt done anything not even weed. However as i put its lead on to take it out must have thought thank god held it enough and pissed seconds before i took it out.
    This aft it pissed on the kitchen floor. so i stuck him out side for 20mins.must of learnedhis lesson cos later on he left my side which he hadnt done since i got him. i went to see where he had gone and this time he snuck off to the dining room where i couldnt see him.

How do i train him to let me know. Ive seen friends dogs stand near the door when they need to go.

Also he doesnt seem to drink much is that normal. Had him two days and has had some serious walks as all the family come round to take him out. ha ha ha. bet that wont last.
    But has hardly drank any water. even made him a milky t to see ifthat worked but ignored it.

Advice much appreciated.

thanks

:nowords: :nowords:

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: dog training

Not drinking much but pissing all over your house? :nowords:

Next time he does it you have to get harsh or they don't think theve done ought wrong. Yell at him rub his nose it and then take him out side. When he does piss outside give him loads of attention and stokes and "good boys". They dont take long to learn mate.:tongue

Aint got a clue about the water thing though.:|
    All sweeping statements are wrong.

Thanks
    Karma Level

not really pissing all over the house. Three times in two days. not too bad i know but not sure how to train him to let me know. Cheers for the advice. ive left the back door open now bit cold i know but when he eventually pisses outside he will know he has done well.

Thanks
    Karma Level

house training.. hehe.. i've trained a few pupps & i managed to get one male house trained within 1 wk - that was when he was 8 wks old.. he lived until he was 10.5 yrs and never once messed in the house..
    anyway, you want to get your pup house trained.. what i have done (and its worked for me every single time) is to take your pup outside into the garden regularly and shut the door so it can't walk back inside.. then you wait until it's done it's business and then parise it.. then go inside.. the only problem is, i repeat this every 20-30 mins during the day, which can become extremely tedious, although it's def worth it in the long run.. eventually, the pup will learn that it _has_ to do its business outside and only then can be allowed in (incentive ).. use a word that they associate with doing their stuff, continue repeating the word when they're outside and they'll know what you're suggesting.. like i said, its a *lot* of hard work, but all my dogs (after 3 months old) have never ever messed inside. yours is 6 mnths old, so that means he can control his bladder far better than a 8 wk old.. in which case, i suggest you take him out shortly after he's had a drink and wait until he's done his stuff and then allow him inside.. take him out every 2 hours (possibly less?) and start to train him that way.. remember to build his confidence up and don't punish him for messing inside, as this will solve nothing..

Thanks
    Karma Level

cheers novaman that has backed up what i have started doing. i tried leaving the back door open but i think he associates now after throwing him out that to be a punishment. but twice tonight ive gone out side with a ball and forced him out and he has pissed and ive give hime plenty of attention so i think we are on our way. :thumbs

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by novaman
    don't punish him for messing inside, as this will solve nothing..
    This is great advice. Cenus you're an idiot. Never yell at a dog for something that to them is natural, especially when they are young. If the dog does it inside then it's YOUR fault for not training it or not letting it out. The only thing I'll add to novaman's comments is that if it looks like its sniffing around to go to the toilet then use the word 'NO' say it harshly but not shouting. Use 'NO' whenever you need to (jumping on the sofa, barking, etc) It's a great way to get a dog to step in line.
    Photography: Nikon D50 - 18-55mm, 70-300mm, 105mm Macro, 2 x 2gb SD Cards, Jessops Tripod, LowePro Rucksack

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Clarkey110
    but twice tonight ive gone out side with a ball and forced him out and he has pissed and ive give hime plenty of attention so i think we are on our way. :thumbs
    that's nice to hear.. to start with give him a little treat or something just after he's pissed outside, this way he'll realise he's being rewarded.. later on you can just praise him.. eventually, he'll learn that he needs to go outside to do his stuff & will let you know it's that time.. wizer's made a good point about them sniffing around just before they do it, so that should be a signal for you to take him out.. like i said, it's hard work to start off with, but def well worth it in the long-run..

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by wizer
    Cenus you're an idiot.
    So you keep saying sunshine :thumbs
    Last edited by Cenus_; 30th October 2004 at 08:46 PM.
    All sweeping statements are wrong.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i'm not suprised being related to Cam, tho I thought you was the more intelligent... Now i'm not so sure
    Photography: Nikon D50 - 18-55mm, 70-300mm, 105mm Macro, 2 x 2gb SD Cards, Jessops Tripod, LowePro Rucksack

Thanks
    Karma Level

cheers everyone. i was going to say he seems to have learned but doesnt seem to let me know yet!! and wondered if there was any sort of signals.(ill save someone some time by saying when he is red in the face with his legs crossed it time to go)
    Ill keep my eyes open for him sniffing around. he has done that before. left my side and sniffed round the living room but just thought he was bored.

Thanks
    Karma Level

eventually you get to know when he needs to go. it's a mutual understanding. Think that if you have fed and watered him then that going to have to come back out soon.