Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Attention Cash Machine Security

This maybe is old news, but its the first time I've seen the pictures and its a good thing to keep in the back of your mind when using a cash machine.

You are advised that the London Underground has reported some problems with gangs of criminals targeting cash machines. The pictures below were taken at Hammersmith Dist & Picc station on 21.10.04. The first picture details how the Barclays cash machine normally looks. The criminals have been fitting portable card readers to the machines which clone the card details. The second picture details how the cash machine looks after the cloning device has been fitted with double sided tape.

Staff and students need to be aware that this scam is not just confined to London. Oxford has already experienced some similar incidents in the past 6 months. If you become aware that a device has been fitted to a cash machine, please contact the police immediately. Other customers should be discouraged from using the machine until the arrival of the police. These devices tend to be fitted to machines that are away from banking premises, such as the underground, outside supermarkets, petrol stations etc; this way the scam is unlikely to be discovered by banking staff. They are also in place for short periods of time, evenings, nights and at weekends.

Please note that false device is cleverly constructed and sprayed the same colour as the machine to which it is fixed, it does not look immediately false or out of place. The machine will operate perfectly in that you will get your card back and the cash, balance etc that you have ordered. What the criminals get are your card details and in some circumstances your pin number, the rest you can imagine!

:grr:
    Last edited by TheManWho; 1st November 2004 at 02:38 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Cash Machine Security

Thanks for the heads up mate... I've never heard of this myself, but will certainly take care to pull hard at each machine I use. I may look like a prick while doing it, but if one of these card readers do come off in my hands, imagine the fun I could have with all them card numbers! :thumbs
    "There's nothing worse than arguing with someone who knows what they're talking about...."

Thanks
    Karma Level

yeh same here, very handy info..

wanna watch ur back double tho if u start tugging @ it... if it does come off, u can see their little gang being in wait somewhere... and i doubt they want u running off with their gear :whistle

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by neo2810
    never heard of this myself
    I hadn't until 2 months ago, when it happened to me . Someone running around Asda spending sh!t loads on petrol and beer. C*nts!:annoyed:

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by TheManWho
    I hadn't until 2 months ago, when it happened to me . Someone running around Asda spending sh!t loads on petrol and beer. C*nts!:annoyed:
    bluddy hell, i was gonna make a crack like that... but thought nahh its heartless :coffee:

what happen m8? what u do? outcome???

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

my wife and two guys i work with have all been done by this, and on all 3 occasions their cloned cards where being used in france. over 200 pounds everyday for 3 days b4 bank picked up on it.
    Digital-Forums IRC Last.FM duckduckgo
    Guns don't kill people rappers do, I'm a fucking rapper and I might kill you.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I got a call one night from my bank (just as we sat down to dinner :|) , wanting to go over some transactions on my account. They started going over a few which I knew about and by that time I was thinking nothing of the call then the guy said '...and £89.40 at Asda, £97.91 at Tesco...' etc etc :coffee: :nono

About £500 quid in total. :grr:

All was refunded after signing some papers etc, a new card had to be sent out but the bank were really cool about it, very re-assuring. When I questioned how money could be missing from my account when I had my Delta card in my wallet, they said it was most probably a counterfiet card

Unfortunately there was also debits in midtransaction that the bank couldn't cancel so days later money was so being taken from my account.

In the end after keeping an eagle eye on my account, there was still £80.00 that needed to be refunded I called up to state that I was still money short, we went thru everything and instead of the bank refunding the missing £80 they refunded £290 by mistake

Thanks
    Karma Level

same thing happened to my old man, drew out £50 in the morning and later that day in devon £300 came out, considering we live in wales is the only reason the bank came up with it

They said it was "our security system at fault" so gave the old man the £300 no questions asked!!

good job really

Moses

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I'd not seen the pictures before, cheers for that.

Another way of getting your card number is from receipts from shops that have the number on them, so be careful of that one. Mind you, if its the person behind the counter nicking the number there's not much you can do about it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Mule
    I'd not seen the pictures before, cheers for that.

Another way of getting your card number is from receipts from shops that have the number on them, so be careful of that one. Mind you, if its the person behind the counter nicking the number there's not much you can do about it.
    other than stabbing them with a biro

Moses

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by TheManWho
    in some circumstances your pin number
    the method for getting your pin number is to attach a unit to the side of the ATM with a sml camera pointing at the key pad.
    this unit would normaly take the form of a leaflet holder etc.

surprissed so many people were unaware of this problem.

Thanks
    Karma Level

yee this is old romanian gangs started using it, its just a reconstructed grabber (a device used in petrol stations years ago)
    a bit of advice is even tho the picture shows it it is generaly harder to do this in a barclays machine as there machines are all curvy, plus the colors of all the rest of the machines are extremely smilar so 90 percent of the ones out there are for hsbc and other machines....the moral is withdraw from barlcays when u can and even then watch out.
    [live=tbops]tbops[/live]

Thanks
    Karma Level

aye this has happened to a few people i know, the machines that were done over actually had a whole new front, dont know the specifics but it seemed clever.

Thanks
    Karma Level

how does it give them the pin number just from reading the magnetic strip?

there must be a little camera as mentioned above.

lodsa pdq machines still print the full number and dates etc. where i work you can just press duplicate and it prints out the full details from the last transaction. i could get 200 odd card numbers/day. madness!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by bmuk
    how does it give them the pin number just from reading the magnetic strip?

there must be a little camera as mentioned above.

lodsa pdq machines still print the full number and dates etc. where i work you can just press duplicate and it prints out the full details from the last transaction. i could get 200 odd card numbers/day. madness!
    I don't think it can give the PIN numbers, I just copied and pasted this from an email I received. Its scaremongering tatics I'm sure. I'm still shocked to see my whole card number on receipts from places, you'd think they would mask the majority of the digits seeing we live in a time of high credit and debit card fraud

Thanks
    Karma Level

they can't get it from the card, but as maxp said they place a small camera somewhere near so they can view what numbers your pressing.

I know I always put my hand above my other hand fingers when I'm typing in my pin so its quite difficult to see what I'm pressing

ABCMan

its also possible to fit a false keypad over the top of the flat metal units it still presses the buttons but contains something like a usb keylogger and a battery, once again when the unit is removed it has a list of pins all nice and neat cash machines dont allow withdrawls of more than £300 in most cases so there is only ever one entry with 4 digits and enter per card, of course you could type yor pin wrongly, but again it would only have the pin number and enter followed by pin number and enter so would be easy to spot.