Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Info Wireless network/broadband

I am in the process of buying a laptop mostly to use round the house, I am due to get NTL connected jan05, idealy what i want to do is run there modem through somekind of wireless router in a stand alone mode ie. no computer physically connected so that i can then access the internet from anywhere in side my home - sounds easy enough but dont know the first place to start.

Any help appreciated
    Last edited by syscon; 9th November 2004 at 09:08 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Wireless network/broadband

One of >THESE< connected to the NTL supplied cable modem (or STB if you have the television as well) is all you will need.

If you intend to connect more computers later on and be swapping large amounts of data between them, then you may want to consider one of the faster routers that offer more bandwidth.
    Note that having a faster router than the one I linked to will not make your internet any faster, although it will cost you more money to buy.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Pegasus Team
    One of >THESE< connected to the NTL supplied cable modem (or STB if you have the television as well) is all you will need.

If you intend to connect more computers later on and be swapping large amounts of data between them, then you may want to consider one of the faster routers that offer more bandwidth.
    Note that having a faster router than the one I linked to will not make your internet any faster, although it will cost you more money to buy.
    Looked on amazon uk and these are the only ones i could find http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...071530-0627069 / http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...071530-0627069, maybe in the near future i will be hooking 1 maybe 2 more pc's up will be moderatly sharing files, the laptop that i am buying is supplied with 802.11g so the one linked supports this, which one would you recommend or are these a bit over spec, would like to have one with firewall built in.

Am i right in saying the modem boots up and logs on to the network automatically, the router will be connected with network cable then this transfers the cable connection into a wireless network signal that can be picked up with a correctly configured pc, can i set a password to make it more secure.

Thanks for the advice mate.
    Last edited by syscon; 9th November 2004 at 10:37 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

The one you have found on Amazon will be fine, although you will want one that is localised for the UK obviously.

You are absolutely correct in your way of thinking how it works, and you can use the built in encryption to ensure that nobody else can "latch on" to your wireless internet or browse your network.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Pegasus Team
    The one you have found on Amazon will be fine, although you will want one that is localised for the UK obviously.

You are absolutely correct in your way of thinking how it works, and you can use the built in encryption to ensure that nobody else can "latch on" to your wireless internet or browse your network.
    Sorry mate, what do you mean by i would require one localised for the UK

Cheers

Thanks
    Karma Level

If you look at the specs on the one you linked to on Amazon, you will see half way down that it says: Localisation: Germany

Now I would guess that this means something in terms of operation, otherwise they would not have bothered to mention it.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanks