Thread: Aldi pc

Thanks
    Karma Level

Attention Aldi pc

did anyone get one ?

£699 Aldi PC could leave others in the dust

Is this the best value PC ever?

By Désiré Athow: Sunday 21 November 2004, 14:32

TWO DAYS AGO, Fudo talked about a special deal that Aldi secured with Nvidia for the 6600XL for its forthcoming PC. The Aldi-PC Medion Titanium MD8383 is coming to UK shores as from the 25th of November as from 0900. The computer costs £699.99 inc VAT - around £599+VAT. This is almost exactly what it is charging in Mainland Europe at €999, around £770. The computer comes with three years of warranty and after sales service and includes the latest technology. If you're gunning for the best value for money, there is nothing much you can do to beat this one - you won't find anyone offering so much value for so little money, even if you build one by yourself.

Inside, you get a socket 775 P4 550 running at 3.4GHz with a 800MHz FSB. It supports Hyperthreading and comes with a 1MB cache. I don't know if it is one of the latest "j" version P4. If this is the case then you might benefit from some thermal advantages as well. The CPU is entirely covered with a huge heatsink and a sizeable 80mm fan with a strange design. The MD 8383 comes with two 256MB PC3200 CL3 Samsung memory modules as well as a large 250GB Western Digital SATA150 hard disk with a huge 8MB cache. The motherboard used is a Microstar MS 7091. You won't find the motherboard on MSI's website but it seems to be a special kind of beast, most probably with an Intel 915x chipset. Surprisingly, it comes only with three PCI slots and one PCI-e X16 slot. No PCI Express X1 - at least according to the picture from PC Welt. The motherboard has SATA 150 and PATA connectors and provides with Intel's AZALIA sound module which support up to eight channel. Other storage devices include a Pioneer DVR-108 Dual Layer 16x DVD/CD Writer and a 16x DVD ROM drive. IO's include six USB 2.0 and two Firewire ports as well as a SCART port. But that's only half of the story - The medion PC was cleverly designed so that it can provide with ten front connectors accessible via a 5.25in bay. You don't get a floppy disk drive but you do get a 9-in-1 memory reader.To connect to a network or to the Internet, you are provided with a 10/100 onboard LAN Network controller, an onboard 802.11g wireless LAN adapter supporting up to 54Mb/s and an analog v.92 data/fax modem.

However, it is probably the multimedia part which is the most conspicuous part of the whole system. The graphic card is a Microstar MS8979 which is built around a Geforce 6610XL, which of course, you won't be able to buy in any shops. The card is bolted on a PCI-Express x16 bus slot and comes with 128MB DDR3 memory running at 800MHz. The core runs at 400MHz, more than the 6600 plain edition but slightly less than the GT version which means that it should be within reach of an overclocked 9800XT. The MD8383 also comes with a DVB-T Digital TV and FM radio Tuner card complete with a full size remote control. With them the DVB-T tuner, you can of course watch Freeview and other available Free-to-Air TV channels and you record them right on your PC with the available software. The included RF remote control wortks with the TV, DVD, CD, Radio and digital photo functions of the Medion Power Cinema software provided.

Other accessories included in the bundle are a Wireless Multimedia Keyboard and a wireles optical Scroll mouse, both of which are apparently from Chicony - since they look exactly like the one I am using right now. A fairly solid model, quire responsive and easily used as a bed remote control. The keyboard is light on batteries while the mouse needs to get rechargeable batteries. As for the casing, it is quite restrictive. You only get one free 3.5-inch internal bay with all the rest - three other bays, being already filled. Only two PCI slots are free.

Last but certainly not least, the Medion PC comes with a whole lot of software - Windows XP home edition SP2, Medion Power Cinema 3.0, Media Show SE, Power Director 3.0SE, POwer DVD 5, Power Producer 2 Gold, Music Match, Videon, Nero Burning ROM 6 and Recode 2, eTrust Antivirus 6, Symantec System recovery, AOL, MS Works suite 2005 - DVD Version and including MS Word 2003, Microsoft Works 8, Picture It Photo 10, Encarta Encyclopaedia 2005. Money 2005 and Autoroute 2005. Of course and unlike others, you do get the software media for these software as well as the drivers. PCWelt does provide with some proprietary benchmarks but they seem to be pretty useless if you're not fluent in German. µ

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19792
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Aldi pc

Don't get me wrong it's a cracking deal but for £699 you could build an AMD64 rig that would cream it with regards to speed:thumbs

E~Mail Me @: wWw.Tribe2k@GMail.Com

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by The Prodigy
    Don't get me wrong it's a cracking deal but for £699 you could build an AMD64 rig that would cream it with regards to speed:thumbs
    you wouldnt have all that official software though .
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

Thanks
    Karma Level

m8 of mine got one as well as the extra TFT monitor. Superb deal and really well made.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by keyscoob
    m8 of mine got one as well as the extra TFT monitor. Superb deal and really well made.

but loud m8 , thats the only down part of these things .

Oh well i suppose ill get used to it.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I nicked this off money saving expert but there's a thing to make it be more quiet (technical term alert here):

http://www.pcsilent.de/depd_medion_t...ldiset8383.asp
    No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...

Thanks
    Karma Level

cheers for that m8 .:thumbs (karmad)

Thanks
    Karma Level

my sister got one of these the other day, she also got the TFT was well. cracking machine for the money. I bought the laptop they had a few months ago for £999 - well happy with it

Thanks
    Karma Level

whats your verdict on the laptop mate as i was thinking about buying 1
    Im off to a place of worship and wont be back till closing time

Thanks
    Karma Level

Been using it for the last few months and have no complaints. It's ran every game I've thrown at it The 80gb HD is big enough for my needs and ithe machine itself is super quick. Penitum Centrino 1.7 and an ATi Mobility Radeon 9700 graphics card, DVD +/- RW and built in wireless access too. 3 x USB2 ports and firewire for my iPod as well as a half decent battery life.

The sound out of the built-in speakers isn't too loud (or maybe thats because the fan is a little loud !) and it doesn't have an IR port either but apart from that I cannot really fault the machine.
    Last edited by 2die4; 29th November 2004 at 09:51 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

That all depends on what task you set the machine to start with......if you are talking audio/video encoding or image manipulation, then a 32bit Intel will walk all over the AMD 64 without batting an eyelid.

As 4me2 said, having all the official software on top means you just can't beat a deal like that, no matter how much you try.
    Last edited by Pegasus; 29th November 2004 at 11:20 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Pegasus Team
    That all depends on what task you set the machine to start with......if you are talking audio/video encoding or image manipulation, then a 32bit Intel will walk all over the AMD 64 without batting an eyelid.

As 4me2 said, having all the official software on top means you just can't beat a deal like that, no matter how much you try.
    Not TRUE!!

Pound for pound even in video editing/encoding the AMD64 ownZ!

A cheap (£135) socket 754 AMD64 I have gets 3X RT in CCE, find me a Pentium CPU for £135 that can do that and I will eat my hat!!

E~Mail Me @: wWw.Tribe2k@GMail.Com

Thanks
    Karma Level

Not TRUE!!

A cheap (£135) socket 754 AMD64 I have gets 3X RT in CCE, find me a Pentium CPU for £135 that can do that and I will eat my hat!!
    You always have to know everything better than everyone else dont you. :nono

Thanks
    Karma Level

Info Re: Aldi pc

@ 4me2 did you buy the pc because you havent brought yours with you
    (noticed your now in kent)

i know its off topic but just wondered

Thanks
    Karma Level

no I baught it because I wanted a new one and found this a good deal.

My brother now has my old one.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 4me2
    no I baught it because I wanted a new one and found this a good deal.

My brother now has my old one.
    Looks like a great deal, Is it available at every ALDI?? I just checked the ALDI UK website and its not mentioned.

Thanks
    Karma Level

was last thursday so Im not sure if any will be left now.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Not TRUE!!

I always try not to resort to using expletives when answering a reply on any forum I visit as I believe that it shows a lack of intelligence for the individual concerned, but I only have one word to say in response to the above statement........Bollocks!

Even a semi trained lab rat will accept that the benchmark figures that can be viewed on any number of sites are telling the truth where performance in the video/audio & image manipulation stakes are concerned when it comes to AMD vs Intel.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I agree Intel is generally faster but to put it in perspective we are only talking about seconds:

http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/200...4_4000-11.html

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beansontoast
    I nicked this off money saving expert but there's a thing to make it be more quiet (technical term alert here):

http://www.pcsilent.de/depd_medion_t...ldiset8383.asp
    came this afternoon and Ive just banged it in .

It really is 99% quieter. :thumbs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast