Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Any TV repair people etc on here?

Right, need some help from anyone who knows anything about TV repairs. While moving our TV earlier, my mum dropped her end - not from that great a height, but now when we turn it on, about a 1/4 - 1/5 of the srceen on the right is kind of a different colour. Ie, say a red bar was running the full length of the screen, then on the far right it would be blue which would then fade through purple into red by about 1/4 a way across. if the srceen is meant to be blue then on that side it's a kind of murky green.
    Has anyone any idea what it might be that has broken and whether it is expensive to repair? It's not a massive problem because half the time you odn't even notice it, but when certain colours are on, it's very easy to see and pretty damn annoying!
    If anyone could shed any light then that would be great - It's a normal colour TV (not plasma etc).
    Buying a new one ain't an option really... It needs repairing because it's a very expensive sony widescreen (whole system cost £1000), but I just wanted some background info etc first so we don't get shagged up the arse of a repair man

Thanks,
    John.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Any TV repair people etc on here?

modshack has some good electrical forums and repairers on their.

but if your not a member registration is closed

oE.

Thanks
    Karma Level

It sounds to me like the drop has moved the mask behind the screen, causing the guns to strike the wrong colour dots. I dont know if that can be repaired, perhaps it can be fixed by realignment of the beams. The only other thing I can think of - and I hope its the case - is that the mask has got magnetised and de-gaussing will eventually clear it. This is done by switching the power off completely for a while and switching the set back on again, perhaps repeating the operation a few times. Are you covered by contents insurance for accidental damage? If not, I would suggest you get cover quickly!!

Q-Buster

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Q-Buster
    The only other thing I can think of - and I hope its the case - is that the mask has got magnetised and de-gaussing will eventually clear it.
    this happened with my monitor when my speaker went mad and magnetised the screen. Just degaussed and its fine now, hopw its the same with your tv cos fixing them is a bugger

Thanks
    Karma Level

Ye we are covered by contents I think but it's a bit complicated!!!...

The TV is actually my dads who doesn't live with us - he's in New Zealand on business for three months at the moment. He's renting his house out and didn't want his new TV/Video/DVD system in there as it's very expensive and he's only just got it. So he asked us to move it to ours and put our stuff in his (better having a 200 qiud system in there than a 100 quid one!)
    So it was during the moving that this happened!

We phoned my dad who said that it is still under warranty, so maybe try to claim it "just went like that" ? there are no scratches/cracks etc to the casing, but of course I haven't looked inside. Luckily he was cool about it!!!

When you say the beams are striking the wrong dots, wouldn't that cause the whole screen to be the wrong colour? This is just about 1/5 of it or so on the right hand side which fades as it gets left (ie, it's not in a "block"). If I can get a good res picture on the digicam to show you I'll get one.
    I'll try turning it off tonight completely and seeing what it's like in the morning. Would it be possible to become magnetised from a drop?
    Cheers for the help so far!

John

Thanks
    Karma Level

degaussed THE TV tube or what happen is that the speaker has moved inside the tv
    scan mask is like a peice of thin metal which bounces the electr beams onto the tube
    if the tv tune has a knock your get diffrent colours as the scan mask has moved

Thanks
    Karma Level

Is that easy to do? I'm not sure how to de-g. it - We were thinking of just saying it went like that and getting it done under the guarantee, but it'll be no use saying that if the problem has been caused by something being broken inside, ie, evidently been knocked.

Thanks
    Karma Level

tv tubes work with electron beams, as in electrons flying through a vacum in a beam, and hitting a screen that is painted with paint that emits light when electrons hit it.

obviously you dont get multicouloured electrons so different types of paint are used for different colours.

there are 3 beams of electrons that point to each pixel on the screen one after the other and light up the correct part of it

______
    |__|__|
    |__|__|

that represents one pixel, with each square a different primary colour (there is two of one of tthe colours cos its not as bright or something) colours are made by lighting up the combination needed to make the colour, like mixing paint

the unfortunate thing about this is that firing electrons randomly about the place would cause them to accidentally hit the other colours of paint aswell and create a very wrong and fussy image

to correct this, there is a large sheet of metal that has holes in it which only allows the beams to pass through directly where the dots of paint are, and not randomly between different colours. this sheet is called the shadow mask i think.

if u hold a magnet up to a screen this sheet is bent slightly and colours distort, then it should undistort (possibly after a short time or immediatly, if u do it badly it could be stuck forever) and correct colours will return

you have probably knocked this right out of place and thus made random colours come up at that side of the screen.

tbh repairing is probably a biggish job and deagusiing is not likely to happen since it is knocked completely out and not just magnetised to bend slightly

i'd recommend either lieing to warrenty people or some insurance fraud if u dont want to buy a new one
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by TwoPlAnKs
    tv tubes work with electron beams, as in electrons flying through a vacum in a beam, and hitting a screen that is painted with paint that emits light when electrons hit it.

obviously you dont get multicouloured electrons so different types of paint are used for different colours.

there are 3 beams of electrons that point to each pixel on the screen one after the other and light up the correct part of it

______
    |__|__|
    |__|__|

that represents one pixel, with each square a different primary colour (there is two of one of tthe colours cos its not as bright or something) colours are made by lighting up the combination needed to make the colour, like mixing paint

the unfortunate thing about this is that firing electrons randomly about the place would cause them to accidentally hit the other colours of paint aswell and create a very wrong and fussy image

to correct this, there is a large sheet of metal that has holes in it which only allows the beams to pass through directly where the dots of paint are, and not randomly between different colours. this sheet is called the shadow mask i think.

if u hold a magnet up to a screen this sheet is bent slightly and colours distort, then it should undistort (possibly after a short time or immediatly, if u do it badly it could be stuck forever) and correct colours will return

you have probably knocked this right out of place and thus made random colours come up at that side of the screen.

tbh repairing is probably a biggish job and deagusiing is not likely to happen since it is knocked completely out and not just magnetised to bend slightly

i'd recommend either lieing to warrenty people or some insurance fraud if u dont want to buy a new one
    :coffee: ....... :thumbs

what an unusual post from TwoPlAnKs.... :whistle
    Last edited by Spennyboy; 4th December 2004 at 02:24 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Think someones hacked his computer mate coz that made sense to me!

Mike.
    PS2
    Pioneer A03

Thanks
    Karma Level

We phoned the warranty people today and said that my dad has been away in New Zealand since he got it (Which is virtually true) and so when we turned it on we found it didn't work. If we make out that the lats people who touched it were the delievery people then hopefully it may pull off. Other than that looks like case for the contents insurance!

BTW - He got the setup from Currys. How good are they at replacing/fixing stuff etc.??

Thanks for the help so far!

ABCMan

Quote Originally Posted by John Keymer
    We phoned the warranty people today and said that my dad has been away in New Zealand since he got it (Which is virtually true) and so when we turned it on we found it didn't work. If we make out that the lats people who touched it were the delievery people then hopefully it may pull off. Other than that looks like case for the contents insurance!

BTW - He got the setup from Currys. How good are they at replacing/fixing stuff etc.??

Thanks for the help so far!
    let me put it this way, try contacting sony directly and see if they will uplift it and sort it out, because if it goes to currys chances are they will send it to their own repair company called mastercare (aka mothercare) luckily after 3 failed repairs they will replace it with a new item

Thanks
    Karma Level

^^hmmm... Didn't know they were that bad!!!

I'll have to see then - there ain't a real rush as my dad's in New Zealand till Feb, but obviously we would like to get it sorted as soon as possible simply for peace of mind etc...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by spagboll
    Think someones hacked his computer mate coz that made sense to me!

Mike.
    stuff i say always makes sense
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore