Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Advice Wanted, TFT Plasma TV

Any1 point me/other members to a Plasma/TFT bargain, £1500- £2,500 ish to spend on the right telly, I would Idealy like something to put on the wall and would like V cheap/Free , waranante [sp] also.

Any Ideas

BTW got my last telly (Sony IDTV off some1's recomendation off here :thumbs) And Never had the software update and so never had any AND I MEAN ANY ECSM's of ITVD/O*DIGITAL)
    Last edited by lampshade; 11th December 2004 at 12:19 PM.
    Justice For The 96

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Advice Wanted, TFT Plasma TV

The Hitachi Platara 42PD 5300................stunning complete with media control box.
    I've seen these for around 2 grand and the picture is better than many 6 grand models.
    IF you can get a price match with a certain retailer who also will also give you a free 5 year warranty.

ps I also had/have the same sony IDTV

Thanks
    Karma Level

I bought my plasma from John Lewis. They aren’t the cheapest, but they are very reliable, plus they will price match. Get a price from a cheap shop like "Richer Sounds", get JL to price match them, plus JL give 5 year warranties for free on all TV's which other shops sell for a few hundred £££.

Panasonic are considered one of the best brands. Stay away from Sony and LG, and unless you like to make everything look like a home movie because of the "Natural Motion" filter on Philip's, stay away from them too.

Thanks
    Karma Level

If you can wait,new Tvs are coming out now.
    Someone with tech knowledge will fill you in.
    Seemingly better pic than plasma,and although expensive in the short term,will come down to "normal" prices quickly.

Samsung or Toshiba are first on the market...and Ive seen one.........it was stunning.
    Not quite as flat as a plasma/tft....but WTF hangs a telly on the wall anyway ?
    ...........arnt most in a corner.

Is it CRT,CFT...anyway....i'd wait .

Thanks
    Karma Level

DLP................Im sure thats it...Samsung.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by beekae
    DLP................Im sure thats it...Samsung.
    dlp is old hat to tbh and most people suffer from whats called the rainbow effect with it when any fast movement is on the screen headache anyone.

ive never heard of dlp being used in plasma before the fact of this is dlp stands for digital light projection and is mainly used in rear screen projectors and over head projectors.

this is my personal opinion stay away from plasma a set lasts around five years only and it's not because of the gas running out that you hear people talking about the actual pixels burn because of the constant igniting by the gas the tv still works fine but with a very faint blurred effect on the screen
    EnTiTy

ABCMan

moved to correct forum

Thanks
    Karma Level

New flat CRT's are just coming into the market. Bit thicker than a plasma but win hands down in picture quality.

Either one of those or a LCD is what I'd go for. Never really been impressed with Plasma sets..

Samsungs shown.

Mike.
    Last edited by spagboll; 14th December 2004 at 04:12 PM.
    PS2
    Pioneer A03

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by EnTiTy
    this is my personal opinion stay away from plasma a set lasts around five years only and it's not because of the gas running out that you hear people talking about the actual pixels burn because of the constant igniting by the gas the tv still works fine but with a very faint blurred effect on the screen
    EnTiTy
    Here's a good place for info on burn in :

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/p...-lifespan.html
    and here's some info on burn-ing
    http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/p...tv-burnin.html

I was worried when I bought my Panasonic but decided that I rarely keep my TVs for more than a couple of years anyway...

and here's a quote from one of the pages above
    From the consumer's perspective, though, the 30,000-hour figure should be comforting, since this is about how long CRTs last. Let's put all this in perspective: Assuming the average American household watches 4 to 6 hours of television per day, a plasma display will last between 13 and 20 years. If you think about it, that's quite a bit of bang for your buck.
    I think that lifespan thing is what people who can't afford plasmas use to justify their tiny tellies

I have yet to see a plasma that has actually been affected by burn in to the point that you notice it and I know a number of people who have them and play XBox regularly on them. As we all know video games are more likely to cause burn in due to static images such as the HUD etc. I love my plasma but would have prefered a 42" LCD but at the time 32" was the largest LCD and was nearly twice the price of my plasma!!!
    DF Moderator
    XBox One | Panasonic 4k | MS Surface Pro 3 | 3DSXL | WiiU | RPi3
    XBL : TheSumOfAllEvil

Thanks
    Karma Level

I envy anyone who has a room large enough to fully appreciate the mertits of wall hanging a 42" Plasma. The average 12 x 12 room in the UK is just no big enough to fully appreciate itt and what is the point of placing a plasma in the corner of a room?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Just seen my next TV, gonna spoil myself in the new year..............

CJ's new telly

Awaiting Email Confirm Thalamus's Avatar
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I saw the Samsung PS42V4SX last night in Comet. Have to say the picture looked stunning. They want £1999 for it so might wait for plasmas to come down.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by bigharj
    I envy anyone who has a room large enough to fully appreciate the mertits of wall hanging a 42" Plasma. The average 12 x 12 room in the UK is just no big enough to fully appreciate itt and what is the point of placing a plasma in the corner of a room?
    I agree. Luckily I live in a house that has a fairly large living room. I know people who have put 42's up in small rooms and it just looks silly.

Still a 42 plasma or LCD is gonna be a better option than a 46" rear projection - I have a large room and that would still look stupid
    DF Moderator

Thanks
    Karma Level

Get yourself either a Panasonic PW6 or PW7. Both sets are considered to be the best out there for the price.
    Always demo a set before purchasing though.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I have a Pioneer PDP503 HDE.........it's a couple of years old now, but picture quality is superb with a DVD source!!! Cable or Sky digital......so and so!!!

I agree that some of the LCD's out at the moment have stunning picture quality, but sometimes it's size that matters

Seriously though........even a 42in can look small in a big lounge, thats why I opted for the 50in Pioneer. At the time, nothing else came close!

Prices of plasma's are dropping......but remember the old addage, although not everyone will agree...... "You get what you pay for!!"

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by EnTiTy
    EnTiTy
    The "Gas running out" thing is a load of rubbish. The burn bit however is fact and a hugely important point to understand before buying a new plasma.

I was going for a pioneer 434HDE last year but didn't get one because of the screen burn issue. If you guys get a plasma prepare to have the QVC\MTV\Cbeebies logo burn in so you see it when you watch your dvd's. The technology is poor.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Most tv channels now change their logos on a regular basis so burn in from them is not such an issue as it used to be. The big Red dot for interactive is though as its so bright.. You can get around this though. There is a script that I run on my TiVo that sends a "Back up" signal every 5 mins or so - that keeps it gone. Also there is a product called Sky Eye (or something) that does the same if you don't have a TiVo.
    DF Moderator

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by geeWcee
    Get yourself either a Panasonic PW6 or PW7. Both sets are considered to be the best out there for the price.
    Always demo a set before purchasing though.
    I have the Panasonic PW6 and I agree that it is one of the best quality plasmas on the market... however... and this is a big one. The PW6 and PW7 do not natively support 720p and 1080i resolutions. It uses a build in scaler to get it to display so they are not TRUE HDTV plasmas. That said when showing a 720p or 1080i video source it does look the biz.

Also bear in mind that you have to buy the interface cards for the PW6 and PW7 - they are about £100 a piece. This does make the plasma more future proof. For example Sky have announced their High def service will only be available through HDMI. You cannot buy a HDMI interface for the PW6/PW7 (Why would you want to send audio to a monitor?) but you can buy a DVI interface. DVI is HDMI without the audio so you can get a HDMI -> DVI cable that gets around that issue.

A lot of plasmas and LCDs on the market do not support either - so make sure you can get one of these inputs before buying or you could be sorry
    DF Moderator