Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Blair to set out new asylum plans

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=629 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=3>Blair to set out new asylum plans

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width=416><!-- S BO --><!-- S IIMA --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=203 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD> Tony Blair pledged to focus on the Middle East peace process

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- E IIMA -->Tony Blair has pledged to set out new proposals to tackle asylum and immigration early in 2005.

In his New Year message, the prime minister said he understood people's confidence was undermined by the fear of crime and insecure national borders.

But he said he would also focus on ongoing international issues like the Middle East, Africa and climate change.

Britain could be sure of the future as long as it worked for security and opportunity for all, Mr Blair added.

'Threats'

"In 2005 we will continue to tackle crime and anti-social behaviour and increase our efforts to ensure the integrity of our borders and remove failed asylum seekers from Britain," the prime minister said.

"To this end, I want to see the Identity Cards Bill passed by Parliament in 2005.

"We will also set out further proposals on asylum and immigration in the early New Year."

The scale of the challenges ahead were clear, Mr Blair said, and included economic competition driven by global competition, security threats at home and abroad from crime and terrorism.

But he insisted Britain was making "real progress".

<!-- S IBOX --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=208 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=5></TD><TD class=sibtbg> Britain can be confident about the future as long as we continue to work hard to provide security and opportunity for all in this changing world

Tony Blair

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- E IBOX -->

Its economic stability gave it the chance to invest in the "nation's vital public services" and boost teacher and police numbers.

Mr Blair also said he wanted, "to see a new a new emphasis on discipline and order in the classroom.

"I want pupils and parents to accept their responsibilities as well as assert their rights."

And looking to the international arena, the prime minister pledged to "give a lead" on the search for peace in the Middle East.

He also reiterated an earlier pledge to put Africa and climate change at the top of the world's agenda.

'Tribute'

Britain would use its place on the UN security council to stop the proliferation of nuclear weapons and other weapons of mass destruction, he said.

Turning to Iraq, Mr Blair said: "Let the first ever democratic elections later this month in Iraq be a sign of Britain's determination to counter the destructive threat of terrorism wherever it appears, with the values of democracy, freedom and the rule of law, despite all the difficulties, and sacrifice, that involves. "I again pay tribute to our outstanding armed forces who are helping to make this happen." He concluded: "Britain can be confident about the future as long as we continue to work hard to provide security and opportunity for all in this changing world."

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4133157.stm
    There are 3 types of people in the world - those who make things happen, those who watch things happen; and those who wondered what happened.

http://newsarse.com/

Conservatives. Putting the 'N' into Cuts.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Blair to set out new asylum plans

heard it all before and quite frankly never believed it then, so why now

actually can we believe anything that leaves the goverments mouth these days

Thanks
    Karma Level

this goverment is just too soft rather than upset anyone they just let eveyone in im not racist in the slight.

but if you come into this country you become english you talk english work hard for your money and become christan atheist or what ever.

if we go to an islamic country we are supposed to become part of there culture stone people pray to mecca etc it's WRONG.

our culture and legacy of our ancestory is being destroyed around us

Thanks
    Karma Level

I think that asylum is poorly dealt with in this country and more reinforced laws should be set ....however i think people should live as peopel do here but then there is the debate abou human rights e.t.c. ....:|
    [img]http://sorin.exod.net/downloads/uploads/winme_file_transfer.gif.jpg[/img]

Thanks
    Karma Level

see in the first post - its fien for the goverment to say `where going to tackle immigration and asylum` but if any of us mention it in a post we classed as a rascist.
    Anyway in my view id have a zero tolerance towards it and stop anymore from coming in so we can get our house in order.I would also stop british citizenship by way of marriage as well - if people wanted to marry a foreign national then go do it in their country.Ours is just about getting full.
    The queens speech on xmas day has to be one of the most stomach churning things ive listened to in all of 2004 - lets hope she dont make the same mistake next year.
    In all fairness the root of this problem lies in the whitemans lazy attitude.We never fight for anything yet we whinge about everything.Wheras ethic groups will fight tooth and nail for the slightest right to do this or that and thats where we are going wrong

we are not united enough.

Thanks
    Karma Level

to be honest am fed up with Blair and his flunkies... I just keep me head down and swallow the sh!t they have been feeding us for years.. because no matter what we as a nation do it wont change...

Unless we take to the streets and riot to fook... but it wouldnt get that far as the plod have the right to stop people gathering on mass hiding behind that "Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994" that stopped all the raves in the 90's. Long gone are the days of the poll tax riots when the people rich and poor stood side by side and faught tooth and nail for something worth while.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by incognito™
    Unless we take to the streets and riot to fook... but it wouldnt get that far as the plod have the right to stop people gathering on mass hiding behind that "Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994" that stopped all the raves in the 90's.
    what do you expect the police to do? just let riots carry on??

dont get me wrong, im as against this government and many of its policies (including those on asylum) as most on here but i dont see as rioting will make a difference.

Thanks
    Karma Level

what I was getting at is it wouldnt get that far because the police would have nipped it in the bud when the crowds got to lets say a couple of thousand.. Criminal Justice and Public order act blatently stops anything like this occuring.

And when you say rioting never makes a difference... it did make maggie sit up and have a good think when Trafalga Square got burned and there was hundreds of casualties on both sides...

before the riots EVERYONE in the household (of workingage) had to pay the tax.. after the riots the poll tax was reviewed and just the Household had to pay 1 tax (now council tax)

I do remember that much
    Last edited by incognito™; 7th January 2005 at 01:44 AM.