Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help XP keeps freezing...

I bought a PC recently (at work, on the cheap ) and it keeps freezing, usually at the worse possible time, like near the end of installing a huge game. Speaking of games it freezes when trying to play LotR Battle for Middle Earth. It's just so bloody annoying.

Can anyone help me please.

btw it's running on XP home edition SP2

and specs are:

P4 2.6HT
    512 DDR Ram
    80Gb HDD (LOADS of space left)

thanks

Sul...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: XP keeps freezing...

This could be down to any number of things but firstly I would check your system for bad ram. Goto simmtester and download docmem.

Thanks
    Karma Level

you didn't mention what video card you are using, if you added your own? Could be a power or overheating issue. Our PCs here in work are the same spec as yours, but they won't take a decent 3D card as the power supply is too weedy, so they would lock up, or shut down when playing games on them (not that I play games in work, ahem)..

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by RogerMcLitty
    you didn't mention what video card you are using, if you added your own? Could be a power or overheating issue. Our PCs here in work are the same spec as yours, but they won't take a decent 3D card as the power supply is too weedy, so they would lock up, or shut down when playing games on them (not that I play games in work, ahem)..
    Oops sorry mate. The graphics card is a geforce one that came with it. A 5200 or something. I'm not 100% on the number.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

Sul...

If all the above fail then try disabling the 4x AGP (or sometimes 8x AGP) in the bios. A lot of motherboard / video card combinations will cause hangs if this option is enabled.

Best of Luck ..... GedR

Thanks
    Karma Level

Try a newer version of the video card drivers too - have a look on www.guru3d.com and get the latest Forceware drivers, there will normally be newer versions on here than on the nVidia website - sometimes you'll be able to get a more stable version by testing out some of these.

Do you get any graphic corruptions shortly before the PC freezes? little blocks on the screen or anything? This is normally a sign that the video card is struggling for stability, and you'll normally get a crash shortly after it. This usually only happens when playing games though, when the card is under more stress. If this happens, it could be that overclocking could have been turned on for the card, and it can't cope. Installing the newer drivers will normally turn this off by default.

Also check if the fans in the PC are able to spin freely, give them a blow. There may be one on the video card, check that one too - although it's probably a heatsink if it's a 5200.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help Re: XP keeps freezing...

Quote Originally Posted by RogerMcLitty
    Try a newer version of the video card drivers too - have a look on www.guru3d.com and get the latest Forceware drivers, there will normally be newer versions on here than on the nVidia website - sometimes you'll be able to get a more stable version by testing out some of these.

Do you get any graphic corruptions shortly before the PC freezes? little blocks on the screen or anything? This is normally a sign that the video card is struggling for stability, and you'll normally get a crash shortly after it. This usually only happens when playing games though, when the card is under more stress. If this happens, it could be that overclocking could have been turned on for the card, and it can't cope. Installing the newer drivers will normally turn this off by default.

Also check if the fans in the PC are able to spin freely, give them a blow. There may be one on the video card, check that one too - although it's probably a heatsink if it's a 5200.
    I downloaded the drivers and still the same problem, there are no graphical glitches before hand, it just freezes and even the keyboard lights don't work. All fans are running fine, even the one on the graphics card.

I think I'm gonna take a hammer to it in a moment, I WANNA PLAY HALF LIFE 2!!!!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Um... (thinks..).. do you have any USB devices plugged in that could be causing some sort of conflict?

Also, try going to device manager, disabling your devices such as the sound, modem etc. and then re-enabling them 1 by 1 to see if any of them are the cause.

Thanks
    Karma Level

every time i've had problems with windows freezing or showing me the dreaded BSOD, its always been a memory problem. too hot or duff stick of ram.

microsoft also have a memory checker for download off their site called mtinst.exe

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerbiker
    microsoft also have a memory checker for download off their site called mtinst.exe
    http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

That's for anyone else. Now I'll try it. Here goes...

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sorted it (I think). I ended it by updating the mobo bios.

Thanks for all the help though people, VERY much appreciated.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Another tip would be to check your start up programs incase they are conflicting if the problem still occurs...

Just go to the command prompt and type in MSCONFIG

go to the startup tab and untick any unwanted items..this will also help speed up your PC

Thanks
    Karma Level

You say it seems to freeze when you are playing games or installing things...

This kind of operation uses more processor power so it could be your voltages need upping very slightly in order for your processor to work efficiently at these higher speeds.

You said you have sorted it now which is good, but keep this in mind should it happen again!

John