Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Question 2000 Active Directory Remote Management

Hi,
    Can anyone help - I am trying to run DSA.MMC (Active Directory Users & Computers Management Console) on a Windows 2000 workstation so I can remotely change passwords, groups etc. without having to log in to the Domain Controller.

After creating the snap-in on the Domain Controller and copying it to the workstation, upon running it I get a "failed to initialize" error. I checked this on Microsoft's KnowledgeBase and it says it is because it is an orphaned snap-in - ie the functionality of this snap-in is not present on the machine it is running on (because I am running it on a workstation and not the domain controller I got it from. I've tried setting the /server switch to pount the snap-in to the right server but still no joy.

I used to be able to perform the same function using User Manager for Domains but since upgrading the server and clients to 2000 SP4 User Manager for Domains won't let me connect any more, so what I'm looking for is either a tool that has the same functionality, or instructions for how to create an mmc tool that will do the same thing..

any help would be very greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Info Re: 2000 Active Directory Remote Management

I've (sort of) sorted it now - I created a group on the server, put the relevant users into the group, then set a group policy to stop them doing anything silly like shutting down the server or installing gubbins on there. Then I gave them a terminal services link which they can connect to with their own user account (users not in the group can't log into the server directly at all).