Close

Thread: Newsgroup help

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help Newsgroup help

hi guys ive read through alot on the forums about newgroups, from what ive gathered newleecher is the best client and newzbin is the best newsgroup, bascially i want to try out newgroups and im with onetel broadband and have a 512kb/s line, is it worth it firstly to sign up for a newsgroup on that line?

also are there any free newsgroups to try out on?

i have read the guides but still am a bit baffled about getting a newgroup or something from you isp because of binary files or something like that?

and basically can i cancel on newzbin after one month or when my usage limit has passed and also i can only pay via solo or paypal so are there any good newsgroups which accept this type of payment?

basically im most interested in new film releases, music albums, pc/ps2 games. tv episodes to downlaod

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Newsgroup help

Quote Originally Posted by pheonixsingh
    hi guys ive read through alot on the forums about newgroups, from what ive gathered newleecher is the best client and newzbin is the best newsgroup,
    Proof that you have read very little by the above statement. That is not a definition of a newsgroup.

I would suggest a little more reading and then questions.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Hi mate, newzbin is an indexing page which means it's a search engine for NZB files, plus you have to pay for it. Basically you need these 3 to get you started:

NEWS SERVER : A news server is a machine that stores all of the messages for the newsgroups that it carries and communicates with other news servers to send and receive new messages. I use www.newshosting.com it costs $14 a month with no download limits and you can cancel at anytime.

NEWS READER : A news reader is a program that you install on your computer to connect to a news server where all the messages are stored. Newsleecher is the one i use

NEWS GROUP : Newsgroups are organized in a hierarchical structure where there are general categories containing sub-categories containing sub-categories etc. The majority of newsgroups that contain binary-encoded messages begin with alt.binaries. I use www.dvdrs.net as it's free!! but there are lots of other free ones out there aswell.

I too recently started using newsgroups to d/load with a 1/2 meg line and it runs constant at 560!!! If i had known how good newsgroups where earlier i would have had no hesitation paying $14 extra a month!!!

this link will take you to the tutorial that helped me, i managed to get my head round it afterwards.

http://www.slyck.com/ng.php

you will also need winrar, quick par and smartpar and possibly a virtual drive. Try daemon tools as they do a free one, good luck and happy reading. Anyone correct me if i've mis-informed, regards.

For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three.

Thanks
    Karma Level

the slyck site is great for newbies to read up on what they are getting into.

You'll read it and find out you probably knew most of it anyway, but it helps to read it anyway :0

and once you get into newsgroups you rarely look back on what you used to use. At most what you use now is just a backup incase it's not on the newsgroups. But with the speeds you get it's always worth just waiting for it to appear on the NGs.

It's also worth paying for www.newzbin.com i've just paid for my premium subscription and at 25p a week or whatever it compliments your news server really nicely, it's about as easy as edonk to use.

If you want to know what your missing out on just goto www.newzbin.com and have a look around the categories
    I'm new to this :huh:

Thanks
    Karma Level

I'll just back up what these guys are saying:
    * Get a www.newshosting.com account (unlimited if you want)
    * Get an account at www.newzbin.com (dirt cheap, and they rock)
    * Download GrabIT www.shemes.com
    * Download/obtain a copy of WinRAR, DaemonTools and QuickPAR (Google for the sites)

Install GrabIT & the other 3 bits. Fill out your NewsHosting details in GrabIT.
    Log into your account at Newzbin. Find what you want, click the link. Click the button saying 'Get Message-IDs'. Save the file. Open GrabIT. Click 'Import Article'. Choose the file you just downloaded.

Wait while you leech like nobody's business (and without fragging your ADSL from a saturated upload!)

Now you have all the bits, un RAR the files. If any are broken, use QuickPAR and the PAR files to repair it. Finally, you can use Daemon Tools to mount the resulting CD-images if you don't wanna waste CD/DVD R's!

Here endeth the lesson.

Thanks
    Karma Level

if paying by paypal try usenetguide.com

Thanks
    Karma Level

ive just started dling from newsgroups today and seem to be using the combinations everyone above is using,anothe good site like newsbin is w*w.nzbzone.com bonus being that its free!
    Last edited by paxrax1; 14th February 2005 at 01:09 AM. Reason: bad link, retype it in your browser!