Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default The Rock talks on latest movies inc DOOM

Will end up seeing both of these films.... DOOM will have alot to live up to but have less CG and more animatrics might just make it that little bit special!!

Doom, for those of you who don't game regularly, was the revolutionary first-person, 3-D shoot-em-up that paved the way for current industry leaders Halo and Half-Life. Basically, demons invade and one lone soldier has to stop them. In the film, it's a group of soldiers, but plot was never what this is about. Still, if you are avoiding spoilers, you may want to avoid the following.

"From Doom you can expect an unapologetic rated-R movie that pulls no punches and just like what the video game was able to do in terms of its violence – but not violence for the sake of violence."

"I'm playing the commanding officer who, without ruining it for everyone, turns bad, which is great. I'm so excited about that movie, I'll tell you why. Number one, it's my first rated-R movie and it's a very unapologetic rated-R movie. Not only that, but the monsters are real, they're not CGI. They're made by Stan Winston who did Jurassic Park and Predator and all that. So the monster's got weight and when they’re in a scene they're like Aliens! I get to transform and become, I'm going to tell you this right now, the BMFOTP. Know what that means? It means the baddest mother****er on the planet."

This is all promising stuff – could this be a Predator for the 21st century? We can only hope so. When we complimented El Rockerino on his storming commentary on the Walking Tall DVD, he promised great things for the Doom DVD too. "For me, DVDs are always so special. I did that with the movie that’s coming out, Doom; I just want to make sure that every DVD I put out the commentary is just off the wall, funny and just really really entertaining."

Meanwhile, we teased out a few tidbits about the Best Cartoon Character Ever (well, one of them), Johnny Bravo, the Elvis-wannabe who His Rockness is still scheduled to play in the live-action adaptation. "The script is so funny and we're just waiting for the right opportunity, waiting for the script to get even better. I'm on a quest to find my dad, and I think it's Wayne Newton, and it's insane, it's so funny. "

So you've worn an Afro for Be Cool, and next is a quiff?

"Yeah, pretty much, right? Maybe a different colour a little bit and (adopts Elvis tones) "Hey Momma".
    - Plan for Tomorrow - Live for today - Hail to the King Baby -

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: The Rock talks on latest movies inc DOOM

I saw him the other week on the Daily Show with Jon Stewart talking about Doom, they've just finished filming in Prague apparently and he reckoned they've given the BFG a daft name like Bioflow Flux Gun or some other such shit for the movie, then he gets on about how they've been unapologetic about the violence and its R rated so why the f**k did they go and have to give the BFG a daft name?

Thanks
    Karma Level

That might be for the sake of making it seem a bit more realistic! Big ****ing Gun doesn't exactly sound like standard issue does it? It's like when they made X-men and wanted to make it less cartoonish they put all of them in black suits (obviously the colour ones wouldn't have been offensive though!).

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos
    That might be for the sake of making it seem a bit more realistic!
    Who wants realism? Films like these are pure escapism............ if they used a Big F**king Gun in the game then I want that in the film. :annoyed:

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by CzarJunkie
    Who wants realism? Films like these are pure escapism............ if they used a Big F**king Gun in the game then I want that in the film. :annoyed:
    Damn right, and not being carried by some numpty raising his eyebrow every 2 seconds.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tattooed Freak
    Damn right, and not being carried by some numpty raising his eyebrow every 2 seconds.
    It would work for your missus!!!!!

More info:
    If fans of Doom 3 – the world's current No. 1 videogame, fact fans – can turn their google eyes away from their PC screens for two seconds, they might want to let a whoop of joy before returning to their psychotic haze.

For it was confirmed today that not only has The Rock signed on to star in the movie adaptation of the futuristic sci-fi horror, as he hinted to Empire several months ago, but Lord Of The Rings star Karl Urban has nabbed a role, too.

Interestingly, Urban – who’s racked up the bad guy roles recently in The Bourne Supremacy and The Chronicles Of Riddick – has been cast as the ostensible good guy, John Grimm, leader of a special ops team which goes to investigate and neutralise a demonic invasion of a Mars space station.

Along the way, he comes face to face with the organisation responsible for the death of his parents, which suggests that Doom the movie – based, as it is, largely on the wondrous Doom 3, which has more tension and scares than 95% of horror flicks - has more of a plot than the early iterations of the game, at least, which could be summed up neatly on the back of a fag packet thus: man with gun shoots nasty beasties. Reload. Rinse. Repeat.

But where does this leave Dwayne Johnson Esquire? If he’s not the hero, then what role could he possibly be going for? Well, in that exclusive chat with Empire a few months ago, the rocking Rockster said that he’d be playing the “ultimate bad guy” (ok, we censored it at the time, wary of spoilers, but we think that the casting here pretty much gives the game away, don’t you, Outraged Readers?). And, not that we’re a gambling website, but we’d wager good money that he’s playing the villain, and we’d give you better odds that said bad guy might turn out to be the Devil himself. Can you smell what Old Nick’s cooking?

If true, it will mark the Rock’s first bad guy role since he burst onto the scene as the Scorpion King in The Mummy Returns. Of course, this time hopefully he won’t be laden down with CG designed by ILM’s work experience guy.

Doom, which will be directed by the talented and notoriously difficult to spell Andrzej Bartkowiak has been fast-tracked into production, rocketing ahead of John Woo’s Spy-Hunter adaptation, to which The Rock is also attached. Shooting starts in mid-October, with an eye on a possible Summer 2005 tentpole release.
    Last edited by Shotgunjim; 10th March 2005 at 09:35 AM.
    - Plan for Tomorrow - Live for today - Hail to the King Baby -

Thanks
    Karma Level

Who wants realism? Films like these are pure escapism............ if they used a Big F**king Gun in the game then I want that in the film.
    Clearly not you lol. Some people will though and I reckon overall it will do better with a bit more realism like that, I mean how could he seriously get issued the big ****ing gun lol. I'm a big Doom fan and I will watch this film regardless (they didn't sell out like the PG or 12 rated aliens vs. predator, they are making it an 18). I think most Doom fans will watch it anyway so they probably don't really care about us. Having said that I am quite happy with it having a more realistic name (obviously).

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Porthos
    Clearly not you lol. Some people will though and I reckon overall it will do better with a bit more realism like that, I mean how could he seriously get issued the big ****ing gun lol. I'm a big Doom fan and I will watch this film regardless (they didn't sell out like the PG or 12 rated aliens vs. predator, they are making it an 18). I think most Doom fans will watch it anyway so they probably don't really care about us. Having said that I am quite happy with it having a more realistic name (obviously).

I hear what you are saying m8, and I suppose it needed to happen, just a bit disappointing. I'll wait to see how the movie turns out, maybe it won't matter, but I'd love to see the Rock asking for his Big F**king Gun. :thumbs