Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default John DeLorean dies

I've cut about half of this out as it was massive.

John DeLorean Obituary (from the Telegraph)

John DeLorean, who died on Saturday aged 80, was best known in Britain for his disastrous scheme to build his famous stainless steel gull-wing sports car, the DeLorean DMC-12; brilliant at self-promotion, he was less assiduous when it came to other people's money, and he did nothing to enhance the reputations of car salesmen anywhere.

<script src="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/core/NetGravity/mpu.js" language="javascript"></script> <script language=\"\&quot;\&quot;JavaScript\&quot;\&quot;\" src="http://ads.telegraph.co.uk/js.ng/site=news&spaceid=mpu&logstatus=t&transactionID=1111499488292&Section=news/obituaries&view=details&gender=Male&postcode=FY2_0RH&birthyear=1973&ag=31&status=Married&city=Blackpool&country=GB&xml=/news/2005/03/22/db2202.xml"></script> Surface glamour was DeLorean's forte. He was 6 ft 4 ins tall and had matinee idol looks (embellished, it is said, by a chin implant). He loved the Hollywood lifestyle, and had squired Tina Sinatra and Ursula Andress before taking as his third wife Christina Ferrare, a striking model and actress.

This was the man who came to the British Government in 1978 with the plan to build a revolutionary motor car at a factory in Northern Ireland. He also came with a reputation as a first-class innovator and marketing man who had once been tipped to be president of General Motors, although this was a somewhat selective interpretation of his CV.

DeLorean succeeded in extracting millions of pounds of taxpayers' money for his venture, before his company collapsed in 1982 with the loss of 2,700 jobs. Although his vehicle attained a starring role as a time-machine in the Spielberg-produced film Back to the Future (1985), it suffered severe quality control problems and failed to sell in any numbers.

Successive Labour and Conservative governments, however, had seen the project as a symbol of Westminster's commitment to a prosperous Northern Ireland, and had continued to back the venture despite well-aired doubts about its viability. In 1978 Roy Mason, the Northern Ireland Secretary, had told the cabinet that the project was "of the utmost political, social and psychological importance" and that it would be "a hammer blow to the IRA".

By the time it was over, the British taxpayer had contributed £78 million in subsidies to produce a mere 8,500 cars. The British government then spent more than 10 years trying to sue DeLorean's auditors, but its claim was thrown out by an American judge, and it eventually settled out of court for £18 million.

There were allegations of fraud after an associate claimed that he had conspired with DeLorean to defraud the government, but DeLorean escaped unscathed, acquitted by a court in Detroit in 1986. In 1982 he was arrested for importing £14.7 million worth of coca1ne into the United States, but despite videotaped evidence of him taking delivery of a suitcase full of the drug, he was cleared when an American jury decided that he had been a victim of entrapment by the FBI.

DeLorean was never to recover his former lustre. In 1989 a court ruled that he must pay $53 million restitution over the collapse of his car company; and four months after he had set up, in May 1999, a new enterprise to build a lightweight plastic sports car, he was forced to declare himself bankrupt.

In 2000, a federal court seized DeLorean's 434-acre estate in New Jersey, which he had bought in 1981 and used as security against his business ventures. After his arrest on drugs charges, DeLorean had become a born-again Christian, and had thrown a picnic on his estate for 200 like-minded individuals; when one guest thanked him for his lavish hospitality, DeLorean replied: "Nothing is too good for Jesus" - and went off to be baptised in his solar-heated swimming pool.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: John DeLorean dies

Hmmm... this was Saturday's news mate

Thanks
    Karma Level

Tasseltine made a time machine? ..... OUT OF A DELOREAN ???????????

Thanks
    Karma Level

No, it happened on Saturday. The obituary was yesterday's news.

And who told you about my time machine, anyway?

Thanks
    Karma Level

Sorry mate old news this was a question in the local pub quiz LAST week

Thanks
    Karma Level

Steve, whilst I appreciate that you may have other things to concentrate on in pubs, I'd be a little worried if you had a question about it in a quiz last week as he only died on Saturday, the first news report worldwide was on Sunday. tsk.

The obituary only appeared yesterday in the Telegraph, so I bunged it on here thinking that people might be interested, forgetting what a bunch of pedants the DF faithful are.

Whilst we're at it, I hear that Eric Morecambe's dead as well. Obituary to follow as soon as someone prints one.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tasseltine
    Steve, whilst I appreciate that you may have other things to concentrate on in pubs, I'd be a little worried if you had a question about it in a quiz last week as he only died on Saturday, the first news report worldwide was on Sunday. tsk.

The obituary only appeared yesterday in the Telegraph, so I bunged it on here thinking that people might be interested, forgetting what a bunch of pedants the DF faithful are.

Whilst we're at it, I hear that Eric Morecambe's dead as well. Obituary to follow as soon as someone prints one.
    Buhahahahahahahaha

Major apologies mate - It's me and my mate that do the quiz and I just looked at last weeks questions and i've realised that its this weeks quiz the question appears but cos he would be busy at uni this week did his over the weekend and thats when he heard about it.

Lazy fooker normally never completes his till about 20 minutes before the quiz and because i remembered reading it off a quiz sheet thats why I thought it was last week.

Karma awarded for making me feel like a total twat :thumbs

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenSteve
    Karma awarded for making me feel like a total twat :thumbs
    You're welcome

Nice convoluted reason as well!

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Tasseltine
    ...Whilst we're at it, I hear that Eric Morecambe's dead as well. Obituary to follow as soon as someone prints one.
    Say nowt because its not been confirmed yet, but i've heard a whisper that Charlie Chaplin has croaked it...

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenSteve
    ...Karma awarded for making me feel like a total twat ..
    If i call you a twat will you award ME some karma m8??(Nobody gives me karma 'cause no bugger loves me... )
    "Windows has been unable to detect a keyboard, press enter to continue"

Thanks
    Karma Level

I saw a delorean car in north london(n19) a week ago...made me think of John Delorean....funny old world!
    "God is a comedian, playing to an audience who are too afraid to laugh...."

Thanks
    Karma Level

I own a non running DeLorean that we must now make a DF project to bring back to life ....... anybody wanna sponser a couple of tonnes of filler and a flux capacitor ?
    Losing Gracefully Since September 2010