Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Always hungry....

I always seem to be hungry, even when I'm just finished eating. I'm 31 and I've noticed it's getting harder keeping the weight off. Im not that much overweight maybe 7-10lbs but if I dont take control I know I soon will be.

I don't eat to much crap and I hardly eat any fried foods, but i do seem to eat a lot.

I'm about to start a fitness routine and maybe join the gym. I have bought a indoor cycle trainer and rowing machine to get me started.

I tend to eat breakfast then snack on some fruit until lunchtime. I tend to eat a huge lunch and dinner. Is this where I'm going wrong? Should I be eating more smaller meals throughout the day?

What foodstuffs tend to be the most filling?

cheers.....

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Always hungry....

If you scan through the other threads you'll get the idea, but here's my advice for you.

Eating 3 big meals a day is pretty bad since you are without food for longer times, your body stores the fat. Like ive said to others, 5-6 meals a day (i.e. every 3 hours or so) is better, your body is always using energy to burn fat and boosts your metabolism and cuts out the hunger. The meals need to have plenty of protein in them, try to go for foods with un-saturated fat and low carbs.

Lean meat, and oily fish (tuna, salmon) are great sources of protein and have healthy fat which the body needs.

drinking 2-3 litres of water a day flushes out your system and fills you up to keep hunger cravings down as well.

Before starting a fitness regime, id advise on getting your diet in gear, to set you off in the right direction. Id say 20-30 mins cardio 3-4 times a week is fine, you can also do weights if you wish (lifting weights does burn fat). Do any cardio after weights though, because you've used your energy during lifting, and the body has no choice but to burn fat for energy during cardio.

An average day for me is like this:
    Breakfast(8-9am) = Bowl of cereal (anything you want, your body needs a good meal in the morning to gear up your metabolism for the rest of the day), and green tea with some honey (tea is a diuretic so drains your body of water, assisting in weight loss!)

Lunch(12-2pm) = Can of tuna, plenty of salad and a teaspoon of plain yogurt / lean meat (chicken, pork,lamb etc) with plenty of salad / baked potato with salad or tuna

There isnt really dinner for me, as it goes like this: (I change the following 3 everyday, so i dont really have a routine)
    5-6pm = Half a protein shake
    8pm = Can of tuna or lean meat with salad
    10-11pm = The other half of the protein shake

Dont listen to people that say eating food late at night is bad, its a myth, your body doesnt have a set time when it needs food, it doesnt stop burning calories at night, it needs sources of energy all day and all night. Having something to eat at night is good for your body as it fixes tired muscles during sleep, so having a source of protein is great for replenishing your muscles.

Other than green tea, ill drink water all day long (i might be p*ssing a lot, but its keeping me well hydrated and helps you loose weight)

Invest in a protein shake, they are low in fat and low in carbs and protein is just what the body needs.

Each week you should have a treat, could be a few slices of pizza, a burger, whatever, just dont over-do it. In doing so, your body wont adjust to your diet and you will continue to loose weight. If you completely deprive yourself of chocolate/pies/cakes/whatever you like to indulge in, you will end up binging and put yourself back to square one.

Any other queries, im sure people will be glad to help

Feel free to add other info/suggestions/critique to my advice anyone.
    Last edited by Andy; 8th April 2005 at 05:09 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Thanx for the feedback andy....a very helpful post.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Must agree with drinking lots of water. Gets you full and is also extremely good for you. I sit opposite a vending machine at work so the temptation is always there for choclates and crisps, its hard not to indulge but worth it. I have substituted these for low fat crisps and chocolate as a treat every so often. I love eating Tracker bars, I am presuming these are also bad for you as they taste nice!!!

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I've read (Men's Fitness) that almost 70% of hunger pangs are in fact thirst.It's actually called "False Hunger". Found this passage on it...

Catholic diet guru Richard Simmons has some suggestions for dealing with this very common phenomenon of false hunger. Richard suggests writing yourself a note telling yourself that you really did eat recently and to consider if you are wanting to eat because you are bored or upset. He also suggests that, if stress is bothering you, try taking a 15 minute nap. He writes, "Cravings brought on by stress can often be quelled by calming down." Also, he offers the suggestion of getting real busy to distract yourself from this false hunger. And he also suggests drinking some water adding, "often we mistake feelings of thirst for hunger."

Writing yourself a note sounds like a b*llsh*t idea to me but the general opinion seems to be keep water handy at all times.