Close

ABCMan

Default Postal ballot applications

despit being found in court that postal ballots are open to widescale fraud however postal ballot applications have increased by upto 500% in some marginal seats for example 1695 postal applications in 1997 increased to 8200 applications recieved so far in cheadle, manchester.

it would seem that tony is committed to his plans to stay in power by using the methods that saw 6 labour councillors found guilty of electorial fraud and other councillors investigated in other regions.

something has to be done to stop this electorial fraud

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: Postal ballot applications

maybe people are just getting busier - my parents both have good reliable cars and they could both find time to vote, as they have done in all the other elections since they turned 18 (or 21 or 16 or whatever the hell the age was back then, you'll remember more than me since i wasnt born at the time)

however, despite the polling station being a 15 minute walk or a 2 minute traffic free drive from my house, they have both signed up for postal votes this time. personally, i thought they were for people living abroad, far away from a polling station or too disabled or old to get to the polling station, but they seem to like the idea anyway

maybe lots of other people think they are too busy or really are too busy now? it could even be that we are used to the internet, you can buy basically anything you want without leaving your house and alot of people can even work from home now (it seems that unless you do a phsysical job, somehing like IT support or a professional job you can basically sit at home all day now) so folk wanna vote at home aswell?

surely the lack of the introduction of internet voting is just cos they dont know how good hackers can be, and see things like real hackers who can really compromise almost any system who could be employed by a political party.
    Last edited by TwoPlAnKs; 16th April 2005 at 05:07 PM. Reason: part about internet voting implied they had introduced it followed by a reason why they havent, which was a bit unclear
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore

ABCMan

sounds perfectly reasonable twoplanks, untill you read what i actualy posted.

increased by upto 500% in some marginal seats
    basicly why are those in the marginals SO much keener on postal voting than those who arent? only reason i can think of is fraud since the percentage of voters who would vote for each party will not change between a real ballot and a postal one, but in postal areas that simply didnt happen, it vastly aided the labour party, either through wholesale fraud or the moslem block vote. (which i also consider fraud, if they cant understand the ballot they simply shouldnt vote, not have their forms filled out at the mosque)

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by ABCMan
    basicly why are those in the marginals SO much keener on postal voting than those who arent? only reason i can think of is fraud since the percentage of voters who would vote for each party will not change between a real ballot and a postal one, but in postal areas that simply didnt happen, it vastly aided the labour party, either through wholesale fraud or the moslem block vote. (which i also consider fraud, if they cant understand the ballot they simply shouldnt vote, not have their forms filled out at the mosque)
    Eh ?

"The perceived problem with it is probably bigger than the actual problem,"
    "We don't think there's any evidence of widespread fraud "
    quotes from the a spokeswoman at the electoral commision (the independent body which promotes the integrity of elections, among other things)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politi...ge/4436427.stm

Also why are you assuming that the moslem community will block vote for the labour party - I would have thought after the Iraq war there would some doubt that this would happen. If your concern is for fairness in the electoral system you would be promoting some form of proportional representation rather than repeating the tory papers scaremongering.

Thanks
    Karma Level

sounds perfectly reasonable twoplanks, untill you read what i actualy posted.
    sorry never noticed it was only in the marginal seats, although i'd say my point still stands to a degree
    "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it." - John Gilmore