Close

Thanks
    Karma Level

Help XP with SP2 - crashes with classic blue screen of death

Right, I've got Win Xp Pro with SP2 installed. And I keep getting crashes with the blue screen of death with the following error:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

then some bullshit suggestions about running virus apps to test for presence for virus as well as disabling BIOS memory managment schemes like shadowing, etc and then the following technical info:

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x00000008, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xBA57E848)

*** NDIS.SYS - Address BA57E848 base at BA569000, DateStamp 41107ec3

Please offer a more layman's defintion of this error and recommendations for solutions related to the problem.

Would anyone know if this could be prob with SP2 and its deterimental effects on the inherent stability of XP. If so, can anything be done SHORT of reintstalling with XP - SP1 or with Win2k? I've already made sure that my chipset drivers are the latest as well as the BIOS.. I have YET to run memtest (from memtest.com) but Sisoft Sandra's benchmark results were fine and a look into the CPU's temp, the CPU fan's speed, and my memory's status based on the diagnostic cd that came with my mobo all yielded no indications of problems.

Please advise. Cheerz.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Default Re: XP with SP2 - crashes with classic blue screen of death

I've had this twice, with sp2, but I'm convinced it's not sp2-related.

I couldn't find a satisfactory explanation as all the googles seemed to be specific to the problems of the poster.

Mine were cured by simple rollbacks using system recovery, which might suggest viral/trojan infection, despite your own dismissal thereof.

Just a thought.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Appreciate the input but at least you had an addressable problem. I've had these crashes ever since I built my system (which would make system rollback ineffective for me) and all hardware has consistently checked out as being problem free. And I've always run virus scans regularly so I highly doubt that that is the problem.

*sigh* The push toward a win2k installation becomes ever stronger. Thanks anyway.

Thanks
    Karma Level

I've seen that fault several times with several machines. It's generally a software fault despite Microsoft's Knowledge Base pretty much denying it,

I have had it be as simple as a dodgy IDE cable, or memory incompatability (two different sticks).

I'd do the standard virus and spyware tests anyway just to be sure, pull off SP2 if you can, and then some different cables and/or pull out a stick of memory for a few days and see what happens.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by 5bellies
    I've seen that fault several times with several machines. It's generally a software fault despite Microsoft's Knowledge Base pretty much denying it,

I have had it be as simple as a dodgy IDE cable, or memory incompatability (two different sticks).

I'd do the standard virus and spyware tests anyway just to be sure, pull off SP2 if you can, and then some different cables and/or pull out a stick of memory for a few days and see what happens.
    Well you said that it was generally a problem with the OS so in all likelihood, I'd prolly have to change the OS to win2k or at least to sp with sp1 only, then.

However, I'll give the memory rediagnosis and stick pull out a go and see what happens. Appreciate the suggestions. Keep 'em comin lads. Cheerz.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Tried SP2 for a week and then restored my SP1 ghost image. Didn't like it, all these new security features are great for numptys but when you know how to secure your own PC and network they is just a waste of clock cycles and bloat the OS IMHO.

Use XP (Build 2600) + Sp1 and a decent AV like Nortons Corp. or NOD32 along with a hardware firewall and your laughing :thumbs

E~Mail Me @: wWw.Tribe2k@GMail.Com

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

IRQL is normally a Hardware driver problem [not always] try uninstalling any hardware say graphiocs card and restarting pc, this should give it a diff IRQ No. also try the manufactors web sites for driver updates !!!
    Known as TC to his friends, he resides in a dustbin, where he gets as much sleep as he can.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat
    IRQL is normally a Hardware driver problem [not always] try uninstalling any hardware say graphiocs card and restarting pc, this should give it a diff IRQ No. also try the manufactors web sites for driver updates !!!
    yip. I've tried all the hardware uninstallation/reinstallation when it comes to drivers and such. All continue result in no change. Looks like I'll prolly be doing an OS change. Thanks though.

The Prodigy: Yea I've been trying to find my win2k but can't so I think I'll have to settle for xp with SP1. Cheerz.

DF VIP Member
    Thanks
    Karma Level

I am pretty sure is a problem with your gfx card and XP2 [seen this posteda few times] as u say might be easier to try sp1 sorry cant really help any more you could try a diff fx card as a last chance before the dreaded format !!!
    Known as TC to his friends, he resides in a dustbin, where he gets as much sleep as he can.

Thanks
    Karma Level

sp2 is a no more than a virus/worm concocted by microsoft this site is the best thing to do with it..click me

I have 5 machines and the two i had running on sp2 fooked up the rest running xp with sp1 had no problems...
    Last edited by diablos; 20th April 2005 at 04:40 PM.

Thanks
    Karma Level

i have xp pro + sp2 and i suffered the bsod many times giving me the error msg DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL , i changed the memory , updated bios , drivers , even changed hdd and gfx card ... turned out to be the power supply was'nt supplying the correct voltage's , the longer the pc was left on the more frequent the bsod became , so i changed the psu and working fine with no crashes or problems 4months on , if you aint already checked the psu try it?

hydr0

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by hyDr0
    i have xp pro + sp2 and i suffered the bsod many times giving me the error msg DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL , i changed the memory , updated bios , drivers , even changed hdd and gfx card ... turned out to be the power supply was'nt supplying the correct voltage's , the longer the pc was left on the more frequent the bsod became , so i changed the psu and working fine with no crashes or problems 4months on , if you aint already checked the psu try it?

hydr0
    I will give this more consideration. Please reply with the brand and model number of your nerw power supply. But I suppose that you got your voltage requirements from the specs listing on your mother board user manual? cheerz.

Thanks
    Karma Level

Enermax - EG485AX-VHB 480watt is what i'm using now , before with the old psu all the voltage's looked fine in my motherboard hardware monitor (Asus) ,everything looked stable but infact the original psu a noname 450w was supplying incorrect voltage's , i read somewhere about the psu being faulty not supplying the true voltages , so with this info i purchased a new psu and hoped for all to be ok and it was , try swapping the psu to test before splashing out tho ... i find this way keeps the mrs happy

hydr0

Thanks
    Karma Level

Quote Originally Posted by hyDr0
    Enermax - EG485AX-VHB 480watt is what i'm using now , before with the old psu all the voltage's looked fine in my motherboard hardware monitor (Asus) ,everything looked stable but infact the original psu a noname 450w was supplying incorrect voltage's , i read somewhere about the psu being faulty not supplying the true voltages , so with this info i purchased a new psu and hoped for all to be ok and it was , try swapping the psu to test before splashing out tho ... i find this way keeps the mrs happy

hydr0
    heh. thanks for the info. I called up the asus tech support people and they told me that my current 420W enermax was too low wattage for my high end system (AMD 64 system) so I just ordered this one:

http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16817103910

hopefully it'll fix the prob. Thanks again. Now the waiting game. :whistle